new RTV900XT

/ new RTV900XT #11  
Correction, I meant to say it had the black decals on the bed that i had never seen before.

/ new RTV900XT #12  
I stopped by a dealer and test drove one today. The dealer told me the 900xt now has the same transmission as the 1100 and the two seater rtv. On the test drive the dealer tried to show me how the new transmission does not have the shifting problems. He said to hit the brake and it would unload the hydraulic transmission and shiftifng would be easy. Wrong! He could not get it to shift gears. I had my check book in hand and then decided to think it over. I can't help but think that warming the transmission has to make it work better though. Still undecided.

Got rid of kawasaki mule and now I am debating between the rtv 900 or the Honda Big Red.

I can say that the "unload" using the brake pedal does work. In fact, once I passed the 50 HR mark and changed the hydro filters, the shifting on my 1100 is effortless. Had a few tough shifts early in it's life but no more, even when machine is cold.

These seem to get better as they age...Probably not all that comforting when you're looking at dropping some serious cash on a new one though..

I'm sure you'll love the 900 if you're not looking for a speedster. These are working fools:)

If you have any concerns about these, let me know.

/ new RTV900XT #13  
I loved the way the rtv 900 rode and it seemed plenty fast for what i want to do with it. I am done with belt driven utvs since i used to get whiffs of Burning rubber on the mule. I just need a work machine!

/ new RTV900XT #14  
I loved the way the rtv 900 rode and it seemed plenty fast for what i want to do with it. I am done with belt driven utvs since i used to get whiffs of Burning rubber on the mule. I just need a work machine!

A 900 is a SERIOUS work machine...Give the 900 another look. You'll like it.

/ new RTV900XT #15  
No burning rubber in the RTV but you do get the smell of burnt diesel in the morning as it warms up. And if you have the 1100 you even get warm in the winter and cold in the summer.....

As far as the unloading valve yes there is one tied to the brake and some early 1100s had the pull knob on the dash also that works faster, I wonder if adjusting the cable on the one on the brake will make it dump quicker.

David Kb7uns

/ new RTV900XT #16  
My 1140 has the new transmission.... have 30 hrs on it...there is a small learning curve to ease the shifting on the rare occasions where shifting is not effortless....one trick is to tap the gas while applying slight pressure to the shift lever, hitting the brake as indicated, and to go into and out of 4 wheel drive one turns the wheels from stop to stop while applying slight pressure to the lever. Wife enjoys driving it and has had little problem learning how to shift.

Net... I would not be concerned that the dealer had trouble shifting...this is a skill learned from experience, which he obviously does not have.

/ new RTV900XT #17  
I've had my 1140 for a few months now and have been using it to haul dirt. It's great. Easily hauls 3 full scoops from my BX25. Would haul more if I had side boards to keep it from falling off.
The only time I have trouble shifting it is when I try to strong arm it into its slots. Press brake and pressure on the lever while maybe blipping the throttle and it goes in easy. Some times I'm not sure it shifts to 4wd because it moves with no resistance back and forth and I don't stop for shifting in and out of 4wd.

/ new RTV900XT #18  
Also noticed the thing had an abrupt stop when i let off the pedal, more so in reverse though. Do the 1100 series units need a coast valve? I can't imagine how abrupt it was before the "improvements" to the transmission.

/ new RTV900XT #19  
Also noticed the thing had an abrupt stop when i let off the pedal, more so in reverse though. Do the 1100 series units need a coast valve? I can't imagine how abrupt it was before the "improvements" to the transmission.

Actually that engine braking is a benefit. I personally wouldn't have it any other way. Another thing that you'll get used to in no time. Barely need the brake pedal.

The real benefit is when going down steep hills, these things are heavy and the engine braking helps maintain control. Letting off the gas slowly stops the abrupt stop...In a couple of hours of run time, you'll have that mastered.

I have no need fo a coast valve personally.

/ new RTV900XT #20  
Actually that engine braking is a benefit. I personally wouldn't have it any other way. Another thing that you'll get used to in no time. Barely need the brake pedal.

The real benefit is when going down steep hills, these things are heavy and the engine braking helps maintain control. Letting off the gas slowly stops the abrupt stop...In a couple of hours of run time, you'll have that mastered.

I have no need fo a coast valve personally.
I agree. The Kubota BX50 series tractors had the abrupt stop in reverse and I had one for a short while. When I got my RTV1140 I thought "Oh Cra.p" but it's controllable in the RTV but wasn't with the BX. After driving it I found thet the pedal can be eased off and it stops as I want it to. Sometimes I forget and it reminds me, let off quick and it stops quick. Let off slow and easy and it stops slow and easy.