New section on website? Compact Tractors 101

/ New section on website? Compact Tractors 101 #1  

hazmat

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L5460HSTC
There is so much good information on this site! However, as our community grows, it is getting harder to dig up the info. For example, a search on rotary cutter yields many hits.

What do y'all think about a new section for TBN? It would be sort of a technical FAQ section. Topics I can think of off the top of my head:

FEL safety
How to set up a rotary cutter & use it safely
Loading Tires
Boxblading 101
How does a Hydrostatic Transmission work?
Top & Tilt for Dummies
Trailering my compact tractor

I know that all this info is here already. I'm proposing that we cull the information that already exists, then have some experienced members edit it for length & content.

Hmmm, maybe you could even get an advertiser to sponser the section.... Compact Tractors 101 sponsered by New Holland (or JD, Kubota, Kioti etc).

This would be a bit more "structured" than we are used to, but I think it will cut down on the "asked and answered" phenomena. Sometimes when a new member asks a question that has been discussed at length many times before, he may not get a satisfactory answer because we are tired of talking about it.

So how about it? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif What topics did I miss?

/ New section on website? Compact Tractors 101 #2  
Steve...

At face value, this seems like a good suggestion. But, I see three problematic issues.

1. Even with a new FAQ section, what will spur frequent posters to reply to posts that they have already responded to many times previously in other forums? As you suggest, they get tired of responding. I would think they would be just as equally tired of responding if they could simply refer the inquiring poster to another thread or forum where the issue in question is discussed in depth.

2. Finding experienced members to cull and edit previously posted information takes a tremendous amount of time. It's my sense most of us die hard posters log into TBN 2 or 3 times a day, we enjoy reading the posts, we reply when appropriate, and we do it all in 10-20 minutes during each log-in, and then life calls us to do other things. It would take an extremely dedicated TBNer to devote hours of time for the purpose of comprehensively culling and editing. Not saying it's worthless or not a good idea....just that it may be problematic to find willing participants to do this work.

3. Also, who has the ultimate say in what is culled or not? Some TBN members may be looking for minute details of an issue that may be referenced only once or twice in TBN history. Some may view these minute details as being unimportant but for the member(s) looking for this information it is very important. Who's to say and make this determination?

Appreciate the suggestion though and it's worth thinking about.

...Bob

/ New section on website? Compact Tractors 101 #3  
I agree with Rancar. The idea sounds attractive, but the implementation is another matter. I suppose it could be done, but I don't know of any practical way to do it.

/ New section on website? Compact Tractors 101 #4  
It seems what you're asking for Steve is Muhammads next book! Trouble is, printing info like that requires research and factual data. The nice thing about the forum is it's mostly opinions and we all tend to accept that. Besides, if all the basics were covered how would the newbies get established as seasoned veterans to answer the questions for the next generation of newbies /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ New section on website? Compact Tractors 101
Bob & Bird,

Thanks for the feedback. Let's see if I can address some of the concerns.

1. Hopefully the new members would read the new section before posting the questions. - Perhaps they could be instructed to as part of the registration process. I wouldn't see this as a new dicussion thread section, more like "published" info.

2. Yes it is time consuming. Maybe the editors could be compensated with a TBN hat or star (or possible new designation) member status? I think many would see it as an opportunity to give back something to tbn. My plan of attack as an editor would be to let all of tbn help. Start a thread like, Need help putting together Top & Tilt for dummies. Please list your favorite threads on the subject & any appropriate web links. I'd couple the info gained from the new thread & my own research to come up with the how to article.

3. I think it would be easy to put together a "review board". To be appointed by Muhammad. I'm thinking JMIII and Cowboydoc would be good candidates. As far as covering the minute details, you're right, you can't. But, you can get the 80% solution with 20% effort.

<font color="blue"> It seems what you're asking for Steve is Muhammads next book! </font>

I guess it does. Might be a sequal instead of "Compact Tractor Buying & Basics" you could title it "Compact Tractor Operation". Seems like a perfect fit for amazon's "companion book" marketing stratagey ie buy both books for only $9.99 /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ New section on website? Compact Tractors 101 #7  
I would settle for "Tractor Hydraulics 101."

SnowRidge

/ New section on website? Compact Tractors 101 #8  
Hey, a cat that's interested in hydraulics! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

(cool pic)

/ New section on website? Compact Tractors 101 #9  
Guess we'd have to find a retiree - longtime member - and well respected by all the other members - who no longer has a lot of work going on in the country 'cause he moved to town... hmmm... wonder where we could find somebody like that? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Or maybe a college intern? -- They'll work for something to put on their resume /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Be sure not to call them a Co-op, you've got to pay them /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif