new small square baler

/ new small square baler #1  

popsie

Tractor
john deere 1026r, john deere 2030, ford 8n,Massey ferguson 230
We have been using a old baler for years and would like to replace it with a new one. I have looked at john deere, massey and new holland. All dealers are close and have good service. Just looking for some advice. I dont have any experience with a baler less than 40 yrs old. I have been looking at the models that take only 35hp to run. Any advice would be appreciated.

/ new small square baler #2  
To me a "new" baler meant around10 years old.
I always prefer estate auctions over going out of business or inventory reduction ones. Farmers know when the economics are getting the better of them and they're less likely to do all the repairs, maintenance, and upgrades that they should when they're winding down, but nobody expects that they're going to have the big one just after purchasing that new piece of equipment.

/ new small square baler #4  
popsie, the balers that use that low of HP what size bales do they make?

The ones I have looked at (all on line) I thought were much smaller bales. Reason I am asking and giving strong consideration to moving from row crop to hay. Thanks. kt

/ new small square baler #5  
JD builds a good simple baler. 35 hp will pull a JD 346,347 or 348 sq baler

/ new small square baler #6  
I have a NH 316. Think it's a 80's model. Works great, no complaints. All I do is add grease and twine. I bought it two years ago, at that time I changed the gear oil in both boxes. You could buy new, spend a lot more money and still just make a bale of hay. :)

/ new small square baler
I am looking at jd 328, massey 1836 and new holland 5050 . They make standard size bales. I want to use my massey 230 to bale with so that is why I want a lower hp. Baler. I have seen the Japanese and italian balers with small bales, they look nice, but I don't have a local dealer for parts and service.

/ new small square baler
The massey 1836 takes 45hp on spec. Sheet but dealer says it would be fine on 230.

/ new small square baler #9  
Actually what is as important or more so than the brand of the baler is dealer support. If you do not do your own repairs on balers, have a great dealer with good mechanics that can fix balers and knotters is a must have. It makes the difference between good hay and wet hay because you couldn't get it fixed in tie before it rained.

/ new small square baler #10  
The massey 1836 takes 45hp on spec. Sheet but dealer says it would be fine on 230.

The smaller 1835 will easily run at 35 hp. I have the older Hesston 4550 (same size) and run at 26.5 HP. It one sweet baler with fewer moving parts and will have less dynamic impact on you and the tractor. The only difference between the 1835 and 1836 is the width of the pickup I believe. Once you run and inline baler, you will never go back to the others.