New Splitfire 3403 3pt Log Splitter has arrived with 4way and 2way knives

/ New Splitfire 3403 3pt Log Splitter has arrived with 4way and 2way knives #41  
Thanks for the price list :thumbsup:

I knew they were expensive but they aren't really any more expensive than the commercial quality splitters from other major manufacturers. I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" with any type of equipment like this. I'd rather spend the money one time, and have that item forever, than want to upgrade down the road. That's just me though :)

That is how I think. :thumbsup:SF splitters arent expensive when you look at the components and North American construction. Its just that in these of $900 chinese component splitters at TSC people think SF's are "expensive". A false economy.

As I mentioned, all the rental places rent SF's exclusively. If they can handle that environment, they can handle anything.

/ New Splitfire 3403 3pt Log Splitter has arrived with 4way and 2way knives
Dave,
Not sure if you posted it or not, but would you mind sharing your reasons for going with the 3 point model over the self contained?

I'd really prefer the self contained unit, however, due to the price difference, that 3 pt unit is looking better and better :D
Not to mention, with the log loader, my argument of "having the FEL available to pick up heavy logs" is out the window.

Merry Xmas to everyone!
-Matt

Hi Matt,
Merry Christmas. As mentioned before I'm not opposed to a stand alone model. as I also usually don't skimp and by either top of the line or near top of the line. I just reinforced that my logic is sound when i made the mistake of by the speed pro gas version from TSC for $1500 it was a poor Chinese copy. So after that fiasco i went in search of a good splitter Timber Wolf and Split Fire, and wallenstein all make awesome splitters but i don't care for the design that pushes the wood off the end.

The number one reason i went with the 3pt is that i can not justify the extra $2400+ for the motor pump and trailer. secondly no one will ask to borrow it which they do if you have a gas version trust me. On my tractor the standard gas 6.5 hp version is much much slower about 1/2 speed than powered from my tractor, the 9hp custom option which would be like a 3490 would be close but even more $$$ I can put a lot of diesel and lots of oil changes through my tractor and still not come close to the additional cost of the standalone. I metered the fuel usage on my tractor while running the splitter and i used somewhere between 0.75 gallons and 1 gallon an hour running at 2000rpm with the splitter on it its kind of hard to get exact numbers when filling a 24 gallon tank.

Without the log lift i would not have been interested in the 3pt model as i often get large pieces of wood that others are unwilling or unable to cut/move. It helps having a 36" Bar and a Stihl MS660. I am not at all concerned about having my tractor available while I'm splitting with the log lift. I normally cut 3 or 4 face cord at a time and then split it all at once. Seems way more efficient than cutting up a bucket full and then taking it back to split and then going to cut some more and then bring it back to split etc. . If i need my tractor with the spliter on it its still available i drug out 3 good size trees 2 dead ash and one 28" red oak that blew over on Saturday with my splitter still attached. Most was cut and put into my buddies JD2040 carry all i hauled the oak in my bucket because the pieces were to large to lift into the box.

How i Haul wood The trailer will easily hold 4 face cords split and loosely thrown or dumped in. My Carry-all and loader will hold just shy of two face cords
2012-08-18_13-49-50_671.jpg2012-08-18_14-06-49_829.jpg2012-12-08_12-57-00_690.jpg2012-12-08_12-57-23_868.jpg

/ New Splitfire 3403 3pt Log Splitter has arrived with 4way and 2way knives #43  
Xring you have very nice equipment. I'm envious of that dump trailer and I really admire your carry all. Is it homemade? I need one for my mx in a bad way. It seems like it would be handy when it its to nasty to get the trucks to the wood pile.

/ New Splitfire 3403 3pt Log Splitter has arrived with 4way and 2way knives #44  
Dave,
That is a really nice dump trailer you have there!

It's nice that you have the hydraulic flow available that you have with the 8540. Mine is only 9.6gpm and that is max, not including any losses going through valves and hoses. I"m not sure how the speed would be with a 3 point model and my tractor. Well, actually, I suppose I could just measure the ram size that I have on my current splitter and compare them, if they're the same size, my cycle time would be identical I'm sure.

I also can see where saving that extra 2 grand or more over the self contained would be pretty nice. It really is a heck of a jump and I could see myself slowly accepting that I'd be alright with another 3 pt model. :D

That is how I think. :thumbsup:SF splitters arent expensive when you look at the components and North American construction. Its just that in these of $900 chinese component splitters at TSC people think SF's are "expensive". A false economy.

As I mentioned, all the rental places rent SF's exclusively. If they can handle that environment, they can handle anything.

I agree with that statement

Dbaer / Matt. Thanks I generally like to buy nice stuff. I went without a tractor for about 7 years because i would not have been happy with the performance of a smaller tractor it did help though that i had access to a 24hp tractor and 40 pto hp tractor. The Dump trailer is sadly not mine, its my next store neighbors we generally gather and process firewood together but i have access to the trailer when i need it.

Dbaer,
Yes i built the carry all myself from and old trailer that was given to me. Here is a link with a few more pictures i did not document it as i was building it though. if you want some more pictures of its construction let me know i can take some more pictures. My Carry All

Matt,
You should be in the mid 6 -7 second range on the slow side with that kind of flow. There was just no way i could spend $2400-$3000 more and get a slower splitter than what my tractor would do.

Maybe you can justify the extra cost as it would be a descent upgrade in cycle time over your tractor :D If not you could save the money and be happy that you are splitting probably 3 or 4 times as much wood as your current splitter:thumbsup:

/ New Splitfire 3403 3pt Log Splitter has arrived with 4way and 2way knives #47  
Matt,
You should be in the mid 6 -7 second range on the slow side with that kind of flow. There was just no way i could spend $2400-$3000 more and get a slower splitter than what my tractor would do.

Maybe you can justify the extra cost as it would be a descent upgrade in cycle time over your tractor :D If not you could save the money and be happy that you are splitting probably 3 or 4 times as much wood as your current splitter:thumbsup:
Dave,
How do you figure the cycle time for the 3 pt splitter? I looked up the 3465 and it has a cycle time of 9-11 seconds (that's the self contained model). I assume that is an out and back time for one "cycle" right? So really, I could split two rounds in 10 seconds or so?

I don't think it would be a terrible idea to start off with the same model you got when I'm ready to purchase, and if down the road, I decide I just have to have a self contained model, add the additional equipment needed.

Hi Matt Here is a very easy to use calculator. The only thing i do not know is what the rod size that Splitfire uses its not posted anywhere and they have it protected in the spliter i'm not sure if its 1.5" or what so you can not calculate the retract speed. cylinder speed calculator

For the 3ph models this calculation and results are straight forward because the tractors do not have 2 stage pumps. the gas models become more tricky to calculate. I assume they may just use actual experiment data to quote these times. Using your tractors quoted specs of 9.6 gpm it should be about 12 seconds.
My tractor is quoted at 17 gpm but i believe the 1/2 quick connect fittings are restricting my flow to about 14 gpm based on my cycle time. The 1/2" quick connects are only rated at 11 gpm. If i want to go faster i need to put a PB kit on the tractor with larger fittings like my loader uses.

If you use 11 gpm on this get a total cycle time of 11 seconds not knowing the rod size. If its 1.5" it throws out 9.9 seconds. However on the high pressure side at 2.7 gpm it shows 40 seconds for a total cycle extend and retract but you really only go hi pressure until the log splits. Given that these gas splitters are 2 stage i don't know how they calculate it. after watching some you tube videos i think they are quoting the complete cycle time for both directions.

In the attached video of a 3255 they split the log in half and turn it and split again to quarter the log in total of 13 seconds go full stroke in each direction. so yes its possible if you had help that you could split two logs in about 10 -11 seconds.

/ New Splitfire 3403 3pt Log Splitter has arrived with 4way and 2way knives #49  
Thanks Dave,
I guess we're kinda "splitting" hairs here :laughing: regarding the details, as either way it will be faster than I could keep up with just by myself.
Thanks for all the additional information.
If you DID want to increase your cycle time, it would be extremely easy to add power beyond to your system, for pretty cheap money too.

/ New Splitfire 3403 3pt Log Splitter has arrived with 4way and 2way knives #50  
Very nice splitter! I didn't know about your brand splitter, but I am very impressed! Heating 100% with wood, we needed a good splitter and I bought a Ramsplitter 3pt PTO splitter this summer, and I never reget it for one minute. Ramsplitter's are also made in the US, and I am extremely happy so far. I splitt about four cords at the end of the summer, and it split everything I could throw at it including large oak logs. I really like how yours has the double sided ram, and the 4 way splitter. They make the 4 way attachment for mine, and I was debating it, but I wasn't sure if you could only use them on smaller logs? anyways great set up, especially the log lift! I have to raise and lower the splitter and that wours very well, but it would be really nice to have the log lifter. This is my setup: [video]http://s1148.beta.photobucket.com/user/mitchpd911/media/splitter.mp4.html[/video]

This is their site:

Ramsplitter Log Splitter Model 3PT Attachment, the Toughest Log Splitter on the Market

Last edited: