New to diesel & 4x4

/ New to diesel & 4x4 #1  

GerardC

Elite Member
Tractor
KIOTI CK20 GEAR.
Is there anything I should be aware of when dealing with diesel and the use of a 4x4? Any info or links to prior discussions would be great. Getting my Kioti next week! Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ New to diesel & 4x4 #2  
I'm new too but a few tips #1 never run out of fuel! then ya gotta manually prime the pump.#2 run only fuel purchased in the recent months. they change formulation by the season.#3 you can run40% kerosene in winter for an easy start and to prevent gelling. dont run this in summer it burns hot. #4 use a good oil, diesel rated like shell rotella. (this will start the oil type and brand wars again /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif). #5 in cold weather use a block heater you will start alot better.#6 only use 4wd on soft ground never on asphalt it can break your transfer case. check all fluids often when new look for leaks. thats all for now probebly forgot somethings and need to learn more but its a start.

/ New to diesel & 4x4 #3  
Diesel : Don't spill it on your clothes and then toss your clothes in the washing machine. Trust me on this, your life will be better if you just set yourself on fire while wearing the clothes because if that diesel gets into your better half's washing machine you might as well kiss your butt good bye. Don't ask how I found out.

4x4 : One thing I learned about 4 wheel drive long ago. You can get stuck farther away from help.

/ New to diesel & 4x4 #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Diesel : Don't spill it on your clothes and then toss your clothes in the washing machine. Trust me on this, your life will be better if you just set yourself on fire while wearing the clothes because if that diesel gets into your better half's washing machine you might as well kiss your butt good bye. Don't ask how I found out.)</font>

You too? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

In addition, don't throw the rag or towel you used to wipe up your spill into the laundry with the rest of the clothes. Don't ask <font color="blue"> ME </font> how I found out. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ New to diesel & 4x4 #5  
Maybe we need to follow that new military protocol?

DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL

/ New to diesel & 4x4 #6  
I've GOT to back Bob up onboth of those. I got my NH 1920 4wd tractor and rotary cutter stuck while driving thru a 'dry lake'.. long walk to the neighbor to get him to snatch me out of the 2' deep gooey muck with 1/4" of dry dust on the surface.

Also.. I keep a 5 gallon bucket in the barn.. at the end of a greasy/gasy/diesely day.. i drop em in there, and hit them with some simple green and water... agitate with a shovel handle.. then just let em soak.. later they are more or less safe for the washer... but not before..

One other tip.. don't wash any tractor parts in the kitchen sink ( or diswasher ).

Soundguy

/ New to diesel & 4x4 #7  
And, never, and I mean NEVER let your wife see you smiling while you are on the tractor.

And when you come in from "the field" after a fun day in the seat of your new toy, make sure you "groan" a bit when you sit down and then wipe the sweat from your brow (even if you aren't hot).

If you don't follow some of the guy code that goes along with owning a tractor then you'll just ruin it for the rest of us!

/ New to diesel & 4x4 #8  
Oh a few more I can think of . . .

NEVER say "oh honey, it's just a little gear grease . . ."

Shower with strong soap BEFORE you go to bed if you think you have any chance of "getting lucky" because last time I checked, women really are not attracted to diesel smell.

Buy stock in the company that makes SIMPLE GREEN, it pretty much removes the smell of about anything you will spill on yourself. You might also want to buy a jug of it and keep it handy just in case of an error on any of the above posts, because it is very likely that you will screw up on a Sunday evening AFTER all the stores in town are closed.

And LESTOIL will leave a stink on whatever you put it on, but it will remove the GREASE that you put there first. Then go to the above notes about SIMPLE GREEN.

And as always, don't ask us how we know this stuff.

/ New to diesel & 4x4 #9  
The regular Dawn dish detergent works well for removing grease and oil as well.

/ New to diesel & 4x4 #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( And, never, and I mean NEVER let your wife see you smiling while you are on the tractor )</font>
man that's a hard one to do