new to forum and a question

/ new to forum and a question #11  
As said by others, with FEL on you have to be aware that it sticks out in front a bit and makes your tractor a little longer. I would say that if you are bushhogging in a place so tight that the FEL is a problem, you should probably be using something else to mow that area with. The FEL is so useful to push over bushes, move stuff when mowing, even good for laying over high weeds to keep the trash out of your radiator. I wouldnt run a bush hog without my loader on. For working gardens or something small or confined with a tiller or disc, maybe it is easier to remove it, but those chores usually take just a few minutes. For me I can usually raise it up to clear fences etc easier than removing it. I rarely go out with my tractors that I dont need to use the FEL for something unplanned, therefore they stay on.

/ new to forum and a question #12  
A $15K budget for a new tractor with FEL puts you in the 20-30 hp range assuming you can find a decent deal from a local dealer.

With that much acreage I'd be looking for a pre-owned tractor in the 40-50 hp range with FEL that's 5-10 years old and in good condition. Something like a Kubota L4400 would do nicely.

With 49 acres to maintain, you need to think ahead 5 years or so to identify the tasks you want your tractor to handle and make your $15K budget match your requirements.

he'll have a hard time cutting trails on a 50hp monster.

I'd get a large scut / small cut decked out.. AND a large late model just for grunt work. very doable on his budget.. especially if he don't need the large one right now to work that forested land.

soundguy

/ new to forum and a question
he'll have a hard time cutting trails on a 50hp monster.

I'd get a large scut / small cut decked out.. AND a large late model just for grunt work. very doable on his budget.. especially if he don't need the large one right now to work that forested land.

soundguy

I do plan to leave the wooded part mostly wooded for the near term...except for the trails part and maybe light clearing for a shop building.

When you say 'large late model,' to what exactly do you refer?

/ new to forum and a question #15  
I do plan to leave the wooded part mostly wooded for the near term...except for the trails part and maybe light clearing for a shop building.

When you say 'large late model,' to what exactly do you refer?

new and newish CUT's hold their value quite well.. anything about 35-40hp and down, especially loader and HST models.. while that are 0-10 ys old.. they stay about the same price you bought them for.

Ont he other hand.. the 50-100 hp machines that are getting to be 15-30+ ys old.. drastically drop to pennies on the dollar. For many thing they are just too big.. etc. so their value goes and you end up getting between a ford 5000 at 70hp to a 105hp ford 8000 for 6000$ :)

soundguy

/ new to forum and a question #16  
but you have to remember buying them 70 to 105hp tractors thats 20 to 30yrs old,they wont look pretty an shiney like a newer tractor.

/ new to forum and a question #17  
that's a few weeks of buffing, body work.. pressure washin and degreasin, and a couple gallons of paint and a noisy air compressor for a few hours, lotsa masking tape and paper and some new decals.. that's all that is... ;)

soundguy

/ new to forum and a question
OK, thanks I understand now.

There's a Massey 1540 with FEL and backhoe for sale near me for 16.5k. It has 240 hours on it, its a 2005 model. I dont know if that model has a HST or not. Does that sound worth pursuing? It has 40 HP, and appears a bit bigger than what I originally had in mind, but the price sounds attractive (even though its a little bit above my threshold). What do you think?

/ new to forum and a question #19  
a TLB.. that's alot of machine.. the backhoe is usually worth at least 4000$ for something that size.. keep in mind the BH has to come off to mow.. if it's a subframe you will be dinking with that.

check it out.

price don't sound bad.. just look at what you will be getting into. I don't know if you intend to do alot of BH work or not.. if so.. that's likely a cheap way to get one and a beefy tractor.

soundguy

/ new to forum and a question #20  
OK, thanks I understand now.

There's a Massey 1540 with FEL and backhoe for sale near me for 16.5k. It has 240 hours on it, its a 2005 model. I dont know if that model has a HST or not. Does that sound worth pursuing? It has 40 HP, and appears a bit bigger than what I originally had in mind, but the price sounds attractive (even though its a little bit above my threshold). What do you think?

MF are good machines and 240hrs is nothing. A BH is very useful when first starting a property as there are a lot of tasks involved to get to the 'maintenance mode'. A 40hp will have plenty of power for what you are looking to do and what is important is the PTO will have enough for a bushhog, snowblower, etc. The only drawback may be it's size/weight with the BH - do you have a garage/barn big enough? Do you plan on driving on your lawn with it? These are not critical, just something to think about as going bigger sometimes has its drawbacks however the dollars sound decent and a good second-hand machine is hard to come by. I would check it out and look for any leaks, tire wear (should be minimal), check all electrics work, get a feel for what the machine was used for (was it worked hard or not, e.g. commercial work). Good luck!