new to forum and a question

/ new to forum and a question #21  
I gotta add my two cents worth here: my 19hp B8200 has plenty of power to run a 9" post hole auger, and one thing about big tractors that hasn't been mentioned yet here is that they suck diesel. At what looks like $5 gallon fuel coming along, I love the fact I can run my tractor all day long for a couple of gallons of diesel. Try doing that on 50+ hp diesel. Ain't gonna be cheap, no matter how fast the work gets done. Compacting soil is another reason smaller can be better. And, with turfs, the problem is even less.

/ new to forum and a question
Yes, thats a good point, I like the idea of the 1540 but Im afraid its too much tractor for my intended uses. A BH is nice, but I need a bushhog a lot more right now, so Id have to go add that anyway.

Its encouraging that a 19hp will run a PHD. I have a lot of fencing to do!

/ new to forum and a question #23  
Just because there larger doesn't necessaryly mean they "suck" fuel. My JD5103 (50HP) sips fuel at about 3/4 of a gallon per hour even when pushing it hard. I would say thy with a older tractor that might be true.

Near me is a Kubota L3300 with FEL for 8500.00 OBO, it has ~ 1500 hours on it. Does this sound reasonable? I'm assuming that it has a gear trans, which I understand is not as desireable as a HSD or shuttle....

The size seems appropriate to my needs - this model is from the 90s I think?

/ new to forum and a question #25  
Gear vs. HST boy that's a debate and a half:) I really can't say what a Kubota is worth as I don't own one nor when I purchased had one close to me. As far as gear/HST it really depends on your use. I don't do enough FEL work to justify the added expense. The majority of my work is field. With the modified shift pattern of the 5103 it is just as easy to change directions as an HST. Only difference is the clutch. What Deere did is to change position of 1st and 2nd. Reverse and 2nd have the same gearing so you have the same speed forward or reverse. If I was doing a lot of landscaping then I'd more likely go with the HST. If I have a lot of dirt to move then I'll use my SS.

/ new to forum and a question #27  
make sure you can get parts... and can spin a wrench..

/ new to forum and a question #28  
Anyone have an opinion on Montana tractors? I found this ad today:

Montana 3840 tractor

Dothan area should have a lot of tractors to choose from and I recommend you stick with the better represented brands. Montana may be difficult to get parts for now and in the future. I would pass and keep looking.

Dothan area should have a lot of tractors to choose from and I recommend you stick with the better represented brands. Montana may be difficult to get parts for now and in the future. I would pass and keep looking.

Well, AFAIK there's a Massey dealer, a Kubota dealer, a JD dealer, and a Mahindra dealer around here. I'd like to look at Kioti and LS also, but it looks like their nearest dealerships are >100 miles away. If the website "find a dealer!" feature is accurate.

I plan on riding around some parking lots starting this weekend. :thumbsup:

OK, after life got in the way :ashamed: I'm really going to try out some steeds this weekend. Wish me luck! :thumbsup: