New to Me Shaver SG50 Stump Grinder

/ New to Me Shaver SG50 Stump Grinder #1  

AndyMA

Elite Member
Tractor
Ford 2120 , Kubota MX5200 , Deere X748SE. 1956 Economy Tractor
I've been looking for a PTO stump grinder fpr quite a while. Low & behold one popped up on Craigs List about 10 miles from my farm. A 15 year old Shaver SG50 Stump Grinder in get shape. I'll post pictures when I get it. Goes for over $10k new. Got this one for $2500 delivered!

https://www.(Temporarily blocked du...re)/Shaver-SC-50-Stump-Buster-p/shvr-sc50.htm

Does anyone have a good source for replacement teeth?

Thanks

Andy

/ New to Me Shaver SG50 Stump Grinder #2  
Real proud of that price. You can buy a new one direct from them for about 7 grand plus shipping and FYI, the Shaver is an Erskine. I realize we are inflationary times, but, 10 grand is way outta line.

I just bought a new Land Pride (same size and it's also an Erskine repainted in Kubota Orange from my dealer for 5500 clams with a 3 year warranty and it ships with 900 series Green Teeth Wearsharp carbide teeth. The teeth are the consumable part and a new set will set you back around 500 bucks. I have a nice advantage as Green Manufacturing (they produce the Green Teeth) are 15 miles from here and I can buy direct from them.

Have not even mounted it yet, but will shortly.

You need to take a close look at the carbide teeth when you get it, outward appearance means nothing if the teeth are shot and Shaver has an iffy gearbox to begin with so make sure the slip clutch slips or you'll tear up the gearbox and they are north of 1000 bucks to replace.

/ New to Me Shaver SG50 Stump Grinder #3  
You need to see what teeth are on it and then get on Green Manufacturing website. Be apprised that the Chinese make teeth for less but I'd be real hesitant about buying them.

/ New to Me Shaver SG50 Stump Grinder #4  
Seems like apples to oranges comparison to me. The land pride you talked about purchasing is about 500 lbs, with a 1/2" wide, 23" wheel. The Shaver is twice as heavy (over 1000 lbs) with a 3/4" wide wheel, 34" in diameter. It is a much larger unit. If his gear box is in good shape then he got a good deal...

/ New to Me Shaver SG50 Stump Grinder #5  
I've been looking for a PTO stump grinder fpr quite a while. Low & behold one popped up on Craigs List about 10 miles from my farm. A 15 year old Shaver SG50 Stump Grinder in get shape. I'll post pictures when I get it. Goes for over $10k new. Got this one for $2500 delivered!

https://www.(Temporarily blocked du...re)/Shaver-SC-50-Stump-Buster-p/shvr-sc50.htm

Does anyone have a good source for replacement teeth?

Thanks

Andy
Did you find a source for teeth? I have the SC-50 and could use a new set...

Real proud of that price. You can buy a new one direct from them for about 7 grand plus shipping and FYI, the Shaver is an Erskine. I realize we are inflationary times, but, 10 grand is way outta line.

I just bought a new Land Pride (same size and it's also an Erskine repainted in Kubota Orange from my dealer for 5500 clams with a 3 year warranty and it ships with 900 series Green Teeth Wearsharp carbide teeth. The teeth are the consumable part and a new set will set you back around 500 bucks. I have a nice advantage as Green Manufacturing (they produce the Green Teeth) are 15 miles from here and I can buy direct from them.

Have not even mounted it yet, but will shortly.

You need to take a close look at the carbide teeth when you get it, outward appearance means nothing if the teeth are shot and Shaver has an iffy gearbox to begin with so make sure the slip clutch slips or you'll tear up the gearbox and they are north of 1000 bucks to replace.
Can you expand on this? What about them is iffy?

/ New to Me Shaver SG50 Stump Grinder #6  
Did you find a source for teeth? I have the SC-50 and could use a new set...

Can you expand on this? What about them is iffy?
A frozen slip clutch and a heavy shock load on the gearbox will set you back a quick grand.

The Shaver as well as the Erskine / Landpride take Green Manufacturing 700 0r 900 series Wearsharp Green Teeth.

Be sure to slip the friction clutch regularly.

/ New to Me Shaver SG50 Stump Grinder #7  
A frozen slip clutch and a heavy shock load on the gearbox will set you back a quick grand.

The Shaver as well as the Erskine / Landpride take Green Manufacturing 700 0r 900 series Wearsharp Green Teeth.

Be sure to slip the friction clutch regularly.
For sure, a frozen slip clutch and heavy shock load on ANY gearbox is bad news. I thought it was something specific to the Shaver stumpgrinder.

I believe you are mistaken regarding the Shaver. Unless something has changed in the relatively recent past, it is not the same as the Erskine/Landpride models.

I also believe the teeth you referring to are the circular looking teeth? That is not what the Shaver takes.

Of course, I could very well be mistaken myself 😆

/ New to Me Shaver SG50 Stump Grinder #8  
I could be but don't believe so. If anything, I'd want Greenteeth versus proprietary ones because of the replacement cost plus Greenteetn can be sharpened quite a few times.

I purchased a Shaver at auction and came to find out that the gearbox was shot and the articulating frame had been welded and the teeth were shot. Adding up all the costs, I just went and bought a new Landpride grinder and sold the shaver at a local auction and ate the difference. Let someone else deal with it. Shaver makes nice stuff. I have their hydraulic post driver as well. I can drive a railroad tie in clay with no issue.

The Shaver I bought had totally worn out Greenteeth on it btw.

/ New to Me Shaver SG50 Stump Grinder #9  
I could be but don't believe so. If anything, I'd want Greenteeth versus proprietary ones because of the replacement cost plus Greenteetn can be sharpened quite a few times.

I purchased a Shaver at auction and came to find out that the gearbox was shot and the articulating frame had been welded and the teeth were shot. Adding up all the costs, I just went and bought a new Landpride grinder and sold the shaver at a local auction and ate the difference. Let someone else deal with it. Shaver makes nice stuff. I have their hydraulic post driver as well. I can drive a railroad tie in clay with no issue.

The Shaver I bought had totally worn out Greenteeth on it btw.
I'm willing to bet the shaver had the wrong teeth on it. I don't believe they ever came with the green teeth stock. Shaver has been making stump grinders for quite a bit longer than landpride and erskine. I do believe however, it's the same as the Wood's TSG-100.

These are the style teeth the Shaver uses Carbide Thumbnail Bit | Long Head | 2-7/8" Long | Fits Shaver SC50 / SC50-H Stump Grinders | Replaces OEM Part# SC-50-15

They are carbide tipped and although pricey from Shaver, they are found pretty cheap aftermarket. I bought some many years ago but I can't find where I bought them from, which is why I was asking on here. I think they were $8 per tooth when I bought them. I've had the Shaver Stumpgrinder for over 10 years now, and highly, highly recommend it.

Attachments

• IMG_7186.jpeg
    IMG_7186.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:
   / New to Me Shaver SG50 Stump Grinder #10  
Looks just like the Landpride I bought recently. One thing I did to mine was I punched a hole in the rubber deflector flap at the end and added a threaded screw eye so I can keep the flap up with a rubber tarp strap. I don't care if it flings stuff out the back because no one is behind it anyway and the flap tends to get into the cutter wheel. With Greenteeth you have to also have the the tooth mounts attached to the wheel. I could have sworn the one I bought at auction had Greenteeth and the mounts but that was a while ago so you may be right.

It certainly gobbles up stumps. My issue is, neither of my tractors are HST so what I do is, I rotate the bucket down with the cutting lip on the ground, put the tractor in neutral and use the bucket curl to advance the stump cutter, always being mindful that I'm way overpowering it. The LP is rated for 60 horses but I have just under 100 pto. Only thing I don't like is on a really big stump, I have to cut it in 2 passes and I have some big ones. At least I have no rocks to deal with, it's all sandy loam here.

Did 20 or so, so far plus another 15 for a customer up town. Hers was mostly pine so it was quick. Mine are mostly hardwood with some maple.

I'd really would have to purchased a Rayco self propelled unit but they are just way beyond my where with all, even used and beat.

Set the slip clutch pretty loose, just in case.

A new Shaver is around 10 grand. The LP was 5 grand new.

Don't know about yours but with the LP you need 2 sets of remotes. One set for the swing and one set for the elevation and both sets have flow control valves to modulate the movement.

35 grinds so far and no wear at all on the Greenteeth plus you can index them to 3 positions before they need ground or replacement. Done some really big stumps too.

I will say one thing and that is 'spectators' are not allowed. That thing is wicked.