New to Me Shaver SG50 Stump Grinder

/ New to Me Shaver SG50 Stump Grinder #11  
Looks just like the Landpride I bought recently. One thing I did to mine was I punched a hole in the rubber deflector flap at the end and added a threaded screw eye so I can keep the flap up with a rubber tarp strap. I don't care if it flings stuff out the back because no one is behind it anyway and the flap tends to get into the cutter wheel. With Greenteeth you have to also have the the tooth mounts attached to the wheel. I could have sworn the one I bought at auction had Greenteeth and the mounts but that was a while ago so you may be right.

It certainly gobbles up stumps. My issue is, neither of my tractors are HST so what I do is, I rotate the bucket down with the cutting lip on the ground, put the tractor in neutral and use the bucket curl to advance the stump cutter, always being mindful that I'm way overpowering it. The LP is rated for 60 horses but I have just under 100 pto. Only thing I don't like is on a really big stump, I have to cut it in 2 passes and I have some big ones. At least I have no rocks to deal with, it's all sandy loam here.

Did 20 or so, so far plus another 15 for a customer up town. Hers was mostly pine so it was quick. Mine are mostly hardwood with some maple.

I'd really would have to purchased a Rayco self propelled unit but they are just way beyond my where with all, even used and beat.

Set the slip clutch pretty loose, just in case.

A new Shaver is around 10 grand. The LP was 5 grand new.

Don't know about yours but with the LP you need 2 sets of remotes. One set for the swing and one set for the elevation and both sets have flow control valves to modulate the movement.

35 grinds so far and no wear at all on the Greenteeth plus you can index them to 3 positions before they need ground or replacement. Done some really big stumps too.

I will say one thing and that is 'spectators' are not allowed. That thing is wicked.
I'm embarrassed to admit that I hadn't actually looked up the Landpride and Erskine units prior to now, I was just going by memory when I typed my original reply to your comment. However, I just took a few minutes to look them up. They are not even close to the Shaver SC-50, it's in a different league altogether (unless I'm looking at the wrong Landpride). In fact, the Erskine looks quite a bit more heavy duty than the Landpride, sort of in between the the Shaver and LP.

Is this the model you have? Land Pride
If so, I'd almost be worried about using it on your 100hp tractor. It's rated for barely more than half your hp. You should trade with me, the Shaver is rated for 100hp tractor, and I only have 39!

A few not-so-small differences....
Landpride cutting wheel is 1/2" thick and 24" diameter
Shaver 50 cutting wheel is 3/4" thick and 34" diameter

The weight alone is staggering, 540lbs for the Landpride vs 1,144 pounds for the Shaver! These two are far from comparable.
Of course they will be vastly different in price.

The Erskine looks like a nice option though, probably cheaper than the Shaver but more than the Landpride, and right in the middle as far as 'heavy duty' goes.

Regardless, the stumps don't know the difference, they grind just the same no matter what brand name is on the side of the grinder!

/ New to Me Shaver SG50 Stump Grinder #12  
I've been looking for a PTO stump grinder fpr quite a while. Low & behold one popped up on Craigs List about 10 miles from my farm. A 15 year old Shaver SG50 Stump Grinder in get shape. I'll post pictures when I get it. Goes for over $10k new. Got this one for $2500 delivered!

https://www.(Temporarily blocked du...re)/Shaver-SC-50-Stump-Buster-p/shvr-sc50.htm

Does anyone have a good source for replacement teeth?

Thanks

Andy

You got yourself a heck of a deal on that grinder! You must have some pics by now? :)

/ New to Me Shaver SG50 Stump Grinder #13  
I've had no problems with mine. I have the larger Landpride. SG 50 maybe. Like I said, I just keep the slip clutch adjusted. The Greenteeth are very agressive.

65 degree swing on mine as well.

I really bought it just to grind the many stumps I have with the intent of selling it when done. Around here, stump grinders charge a buck an inch based on the stump at grade level.

The Shaver I bought at auction and sold was in need of a new gearbox and that was over a grand alone plus the frame had been broken and welded in a couple places.

Watched the Erskine video and I see the Erskine was in the process of chewing up the rubber back guard which is why I added a threaded eye so I can keep the back guard up.

So far, so good and no issues plus mine has a 5 year guarantee on it so if it breaks it will be fixed by my Kubota dealer.

/ New to Me Shaver SG50 Stump Grinder #14  
I've had no problems with mine. I have the larger Landpride. SG 50 maybe.
Interesting, it looks like they only have one size, but two different model #'s. It's looks like the only difference is the range of cutting arc (35 vs 55 degrees) and one is quick hitch compatible.

Is this the one you have?

Attachments

• SG.JPG
    SG.JPG
    205.1 KB · Views: 37
   / New to Me Shaver SG50 Stump Grinder #15  
No, mine has 55 degree swing, goes 10" below grade pto driven and is quick hitch compatible but I don't have a quick hitch and the one I have is Cat2. I special ordered it direct from Great Plains btw. Mine takes a pair of hydraulic outlets (4 hoses). Had to change them from flat faced to Pioneer release under pressure. Both the elevation and swing can be modulated too. Mine is Kubota orange to match the tractors too.

Have to take a picture of it...

/ New to Me Shaver SG50 Stump Grinder #16  
No, mine has 55 degree swing, goes 10" below grade pto driven and is quick hitch compatible but I don't have a quick hitch and the one I have is Cat2. I special ordered it direct from Great Plains btw. Mine takes a pair of hydraulic outlets (4 hoses). Had to change them from flat faced to Pioneer release under pressure. Both the elevation and swing can be modulated too. Mine is Kubota orange to match the tractors too.

Have to take a picture of it...
I'd love to see a photo. I like to learn about these things, and it sounds like you have one that I've never heard of. Perhaps it is closer to the Shaver specs than I realize.

Most of these grinders are very similar, with the exception of the Woodland Mills, they most all of the up/down and left/right circuits. The big differences are the build quality, whether it's meant for residential or commercial, and the size tractor they are meant for. There is a huge difference between your Landpride and the Shaver that the original post was about.
All these grinders have model #'s pretty clearly identified on them, it's quite simple to find. I'd be very curious to hear what your model is, or if it was a custom built grinder by Great Plains Manufacturing.

/ New to Me Shaver SG50 Stump Grinder #17  
I'd be very curious to hear what your model is, or if it was a custom built grinder by Great Plains Manufacturing.
Could be, I don't know actually. Told my Kubota dealer what I wanted and he ordered it and delivered it to the farm. Works fine for me, I just have to be careful about how hard I push it. I was thinking about putting it on my other Kubota and using the 1000 rpm pto running at 540 which brings the engine out of it's optimum power range and drops the horsepower appreciably but for now it's on the back of the open station running at 540. Only thing I really use the 1000 rpm pto is for powering my grain leg.

One thing I do like on the Erskine is the brackets on each side to add suitcase weights and I might add those to mine. Simple fabrication and welding job.

Maybe tomorrow on the picture. Right now I'm having surface grinder issues that need to be addressed as I have jobs to grind.

/ New to Me Shaver SG50 Stump Grinder #18  
I looked at the Woodland mills but I didn't want to have a stationary wheel and have to move to and fro.

Wodland Mills also has swing model but it's as much as a Shaver and I don't like their rear guard at all.

I do own a Shaver post pounder and it's a beast. I can drive railroad ties with it in clay.

/ New to Me Shaver SG50 Stump Grinder #19  
I looked at the Woodland mills but I didn't want to have a stationary wheel and have to move to and fro.

Wodland Mills also has swing model but it's as much as a Shaver and I don't like their rear guard at all.

I do own a Shaver post pounder and it's a beast. I can drive railroad ties with it in clay.
I believe you’re mistaken here as well. The woodland mills grinder is oriented 90 degrees to the articulating style grinders.

You function it by moving the tractor back and forth, vs using hydraulics to swing the cutting wheel.

Unless I’m mistaken, Woodland mills does not make a swing style.

/ New to Me Shaver SG50 Stump Grinder #20  
I thought they did but I might have them mixed up with Bauma Lite. No matter, I have what I need.