New to tractors ford 1700 question.

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #51  
BG.....the first thing you do with the bush-hog is "go after" your wife's shrubs and flower beds out there in the yard. It will make cutting the lawn a lot easier and she will eventually get over it......maybe.

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #52  
What is the inside lever on the hyd side for and where should i set it at? Ive greased every fitting i could find, and am getting ready to actually start to bush hog the next time i get out there.... having never done it before is there any thing special or tricks to it? Thanks for everyones help i never would of gotten it this far if it wasnt for all of you.

Hey BG,

I'm glad things are looking up for you slowly but surely. What do you mean by "inside lever on hyd side"? are you talking about you hyd lift system lever? That lever manipulate the hyd spool valve that controls flow to hyd lift piston or bypasses flow back to the rear reservoir( rear diffy). There is no adjustment to the spool itself, the only thing the spool valve has internally is a feed back mechanism that causes flow bypass when lift arm get to it's max travel.

Pic below Shows the spool valve when you remove the hyd piston. There is no adjustment there that includes the feed back linkage .

dsc04321m.jpg

pIc below shows the feed back linkage from the inside that ties to the feed back control lever outside. This part is adjustable. I would not mess with it unless you have reason to. basically as the lift arm moves up linkage causes the spool valve to internally bypass the oil back to reservoir.

dsc07086c.jpg

this is the pic of lift arm, as you see it has a low limit that you can set and a high limit tab. that tab is adjustable and has a notch that lift lever can be locked in place. I move it as high as I can short of where the relief starts reliving and chatter.

dsc04355f.jpg

Relif mechanism as part of the spool valve and relif spring and seat.

dsc03646t.jpg

dsc04492w.jpg

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question.
Here is a pic of the lever....the one closest to the seat. Where should i set this one?......Im sure the flower beds wouldnt be a good idea on mothers day....next week however is a different story:D

Attachments

• fender seat closeup april2010.JPG
    fender seat closeup april2010.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 376
  • under seat controls.JPG
    under seat controls.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 396
   / New to tractors ford 1700 question. #54  
Here is a pic of the lever....the one closest to the seat. Where should i set this one?......Im sure the flower beds wouldnt be a good idea on mothers day....next week however is a different story:D

Hmmm. looks different than any 1700 I have seen. The one on the right is most probably your 3 point lift lever. what happens when you move it with the engine on? does your lift arm move? you see it has a upper limit(adjustable). loosen it, move the handle as far as you can move up till you here relief valve chattering, lower it just a tad just as quits chattering , that's you max lift, tighten the upper limit. The one to the left of is some extra hyd remote or draft control. take a pic of the back of the tractor like the pic below and we might be able to tell. what would happen with you move the left handle up or down? or can you tell?

JC,

dsc03638i.jpg

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #55  
I don't have that lever on my 1700 either so I can't help on that part but for a new user of a brush hog, if you haven't brush-hogged before I can give you some tips. Run tractor at least 2000 rpm and up to the recommended 2400 rpm. Engage PTO while stopped and with clutch in. Select gear for type of cutting you will be doing. I usually brush-hog between 2-3 and 3-1 gears, heavy brush could require a lower setting. When mowing be ready to act quick when the machine boggs down in heavy stuff. Pushing in the clutch will stop power to the PTO so quick action may be required to keep from stalling the tractor. The second hand on the 3 pt lift lever if you hit a stump or other obsticle lift the brush-hog to clear to prevent stalling. (You may have to do both at the same time) Keep brush-hog level, both side to side and front to back. Experiance will teach you most of the rest you need to know.;)

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #56  
And start the hog lifted at low rpm, then bump rpm up to operating speed. Saves the clutches and gearboxes from shock load. Watch when turning cause the hog swings wide. You'll get it soon enough.
Jim

Ok i took a couple of pics so hopefully that will help out... i dont see any kind of upper limit adjustment on mine? Thanks for all the tips on the hogging..ill use them all.

The outside lever moves my 3point up and down.. not sure if the inside is doing anything that i can tell.

Attachments

• 3pt levers back view.JPG
    3pt levers back view.JPG
    313.6 KB · Views: 242
  • 3pt levers2.JPG
    3pt levers2.JPG
    207.3 KB · Views: 285
  • 3pt levers.JPG
    3pt levers.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 194
  • 3point pic.JPG
    3point pic.JPG
    175.8 KB · Views: 382
  • 3pt close up.JPG
    3pt close up.JPG
    220 KB · Views: 264
   / New to tractors ford 1700 question. #58  
Ok i took a couple of pics so hopefully that will help out... i dont see any kind of upper limit adjustment on mine? Thanks for all the tips on the hogging..ill use them all.

The outside lever moves my 3point up and down.. not sure if the inside is doing anything that i can tell.

Although I have not seen draft control for 1700, yours appear to be one. The top link bracket is different. draft control maintain a constant depth for ground engaging application like plowing. Can you take a picture where it shows the linkage from smaller lever and how it attaches to control valve or lift arm. I don't see any hydraulic remote(connection ) in the back. do you have any hydraulic connection in front or middle of the tractor.

I hope guys with draft control experience chime in to corroborate or discredit what I just said.

JC,

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #59  
I can attest to the 1700 having a draft it was optional that year. As I remember not knowing what it was until the dealer told me.

No remote hyd connections on it.... i read some of the posts after a search of draft control. So basically this lever is used to set the lowest height that i want it to lower down to? So when im running the hog i should set it and then just use the main lever to raise it if i run over something big like a log or so? JC i took some pics of where it connects, sorry it doesnt show much.

Attachments

• SDC11458.JPG
    SDC11458.JPG
    257.2 KB · Views: 187
  • draft lever connection.JPG
    draft lever connection.JPG
    248.1 KB · Views: 190
  • rear 3pt top angle view.JPG
    rear 3pt top angle view.JPG
    314.8 KB · Views: 292