New to tractors ford 1700 question.

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question.
JC, i havent checked it with the engine running, not because im ignoring your advice but simply because it hasnt been started yet (hopefully tomorrow) I can only use the meter i have to a certain extent before i go into operator headspace and timing issues. So i can pretty much tell you a current reading on a good day. :D

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #42  
BG- One thing I didn't see anyone mention- so I'll do it now-

Check the oil in the fuel injector. You will most likely want to add some. The 1700 has a fuel injector that you have to manually put oil into. I don't have the pic here- but you add just a little to keep the internal parts lubed.

It's all in the manual. Check up the lube information in the manual.

By the way- I just spent two days changing the water pump on mine.
Water pump on a 1700 is P/N A-SBA145016071

Got mine on e-bay here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320511408146

it came the next day.

Just an FYI- Other good parts listings can be found here:
http://www.dmtractorparts.com/aicat/aiTractors/fordNewHolland/cooling.pdf

I'm still waiting for the hoses to arrive mail order. It took me a little bit to figure out how to change the water pump- the bearing went bad- but I figured it out and it's relativeoly easy to do. Pump cost me $88 plus $11 shipping on e-bay.

Last edited:
   / New to tractors ford 1700 question. #43  
BG- One thing I didn't see anyone mention- so I'll do it now-

Check the oil in the fuel injector. You will most likely want to add some. The 1700 has a fuel injector that you have to manually put oil into. I don't have the pic here- but you add just a little to keep the internal parts lubed.

It's all in the manual. Check up the lube information in the manual.

By the way- I just spent two days changing the water pump on mine.
Water pump on a 1700 is P/N A-SBA145016071

Got mine on e-bay here:
Compact Ford Tractor Water Pump 1500 1700 1900 - eBay (item 320511408146 end time May-02-10 09:32:48 PDT)

it came the next day.

Just an FYI- Other good parts listings can be found here:
http://www.dmtractorparts.com/aicat/aiTractors/fordNewHolland/cooling.pdf

I'm still waiting for the hoses to arrive mail order. It took me a little bit to figure out how to change the water pump- the bearing went bad- but I figured it out and it's relativeoly easy to do. Pump cost me $88 plus $11 shipping on e-bay.
James the same thing happened to me 2 years ago. Water pump started wobbleing and then rubbing the radiator. Bought an after market pump from Ebay, put in on and everything has been perfect since. The old pump came apart into two pieces when I took it off. The old water pumps can not be rebuilt.

Well i went an bought the new temp gauge... hooked it up and fired her up today. Cranked up on the first time after warming the plugs for about 5 seconds. All the switches work, and lights come on when they are supposed too. The only thing that didnt go off was the Oil Light....now i know there is oil in it and the injector because i changed them both out when i was doing all the fluids in this beast. Would a bad sensor cause the light to stay on?

Checked everything while it was running and it seems to be doing fine, how much play should be in the belt as there seemed to be a good amount of wobble in it while it was running?

The only leak was the fuel return lines from the injectors to the gas tank...i think they are just dry rotted so im going to replace them tomorrow. Other than that i think i got it together thanks to all of you.:thumbsup:

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #45  
watch the waterpump wobble, it might be going bad. When not running if the shaft can be wiggled by hand easily the bearing may be seperating. That calls for a new water pump. Oil sensors do go bad too, probably can replace one for $10 or less. Still could be in your wireing. Sometimes there is no end to replacing parts. You need to find out why the oil pressure light is not going out. That would be the first thing to get working along with the temp guage. Keep us posted.
Fan Belt tension. A correctly tightened belt will deflect 7/16 to 9/16 inch when 20 to 25 lbs of thumb pressure is applied to the belt midway between pulleys.

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #47  
The only thing that didnt go off was the Oil Light....now i know there is oil in it and the injector because i changed them both out when i was doing all the fluids in this beast. Would a bad sensor cause the light to stay on?

:thumbsup:

BG,

The oil sending unit is a normally closed switch by the action of spring. upon engine start and oil pressure developed causes the switch to open up. Independently check the switch by using an ohm meter or a continuity light when engine is off. The light should be on and the ohm should read zero indicating a closed circuit. Do the same thing with engine on, light should not come on or you should read infinity resistance or open switch. if switch fails the test, you can either buy NH sending unit (readily available) @ $25 or some aftermarket around $15.
If sensor passes the test , then somehow you wired the gage incorrectly. How about your temp gage? does it work now?

JC,

Yep new temp gauge and temp sensor are working great, even lighting up when i turn on the headlights. I ran it long enough yesterday just to make sure the needle would move.

Im thinking the oil sensor might be bad beacuse this was one of the many things that wasnt hooked up after i uncovered the wiring mess. Im going to try and get the new lines today and will check the belt play and the waterpump for the wobble. Ill try my best with the meter but no promises!

I put a race switch on for the glow plugs (turns off automatically and cant be bumped on) just because i was worried about that simply toggle getting bumped on while operating. Its getting there slowly but surely.

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #49  
Just as a side note, the port for the oil pressure sending unit is 1/8 NPT, so you can hook up an oil pressure gauge if you want to check the actual oil pressure.

Well I actually got it out of the garage tonight for the first time since i bought it..... I had just replaced the oil sender and wahla... the light went out right after she fired up...everything is working good, had tightened up the belt adjustment a little and that seems to have taken quite a bit of the wobble away. The water pump did move very slightly when i grabbed ahold of it but not much at all.
What is the inside lever on the hyd side for and where should i set it at? Ive greased every fitting i could find, and am getting ready to actually start to bush hog the next time i get out there.... having never done it before is there any thing special or tricks to it? Thanks for everyones help i never would of gotten it this far if it wasnt for all of you.