New tractor, good bye to first tractor and implements.

/ New tractor, good bye to first tractor and implements. #1  

garagehound3

Tractor
Kubota M5-111HDC12
I took delivery on a new Kubota M5-111HDC12 w R4 tires and a 1854 loader yesterday. I chose several options for the cab. I'm installing an after market ASA CD/Radio w/Blue tooth, front/rear camera w 9' color monitor and two rear roof bracket mounted selectable mode warning beacons. Early last year I bought a 2018 Kubota L2501 w various implements. At times I discovered I needed more power and underestimated the capability of this tractor which is on me for not doing my homework. It is a good tractor and the implements worked as expected in all but a couple of instances. One major problem I posted about and received helpful responses but it remained a frequent battle to put the transmission into gear as I was told "it is the nature of the beast". After talking with friends who own tractors and conducting more research I decided to upgrade to a stronger tractor. I was told by reliable sources if you need more power do not go to the next level but go to a higher level by 3 or 4 times which you have now. So the tractor now is a 100Hp Vs 25Hp and the loader lift capacity is 2 tons Vs 1/2 ton. Yeh I took a bath on the trade in values with the dealer however they took everything promptly and I did not have to deal w major haggling over prices trying to a private sale or deal w the no shows or the uncertainty when I would get everything sold. Also I did not have to worry about dudes traipsing through my shop casing the place either. At this point all I want to do is get my land ready to plant some type of crop by clearing a bunch of large old tree stumps and non producing fruit trees and brush. Although I only have a few acres the soil here is great for crops. I am looking into low or no tillage farming. I will be using a Blue Diamond severe duty tump bucket to remove the tree stumps. I had some tree stumps ground last year but over time the ground sank and on one stump new chutes (suckers) are just starting to appear. Where I took the stump out completely and back filled it the soil is still level and no new growth is visible. It will take sometime to adjust to this bigger tractor but I should not have to worry about lack of power and it shifts very smoothly and the steering mounted directional electronic shuttle makes it convenient for loader work. In a couple weeks I will be receiving a L P RCR1884 rotary cutter and a L P SA20 hydraulic post hole digger. I welcome any advice about running this new tractor.

/ New tractor, good bye to first tractor and implements. #2  
Sounds like you have a very nice machine. You made quite a jump in size and power, be sure to take some time to get familiar with the new tractor. Things that were easy with your L might be a little more difficult with a larger tractor and obviously some/most will be quite a bit easier. Center of gravity will be different as well as the weight and impact to the ground (if lawns or soft/wet areas apply). The big thing will be to take your time till you get the feel of the new machine and not assume. Good luck! Post any pictures you have, we don’t see a lot of the 100+ hp tractors on here.

/ New tractor, good bye to first tractor and implements. #3  
Standard L to M5.

Wow. The M5-111 is the very top of what Kubota considers a utility tractor. I'd be interested in pictures as well. This forum usually maxes out at around 60HP.

/ New tractor, good bye to first tractor and implements. #4  
That is quite the jump in power! . . . for "only a few acres"? . . .

/ New tractor, good bye to first tractor and implements. #5  
That is like replacing a 10/22 with a Barrett when you have a squirrel problem!!!!
You Go...I like it.

/ New tractor, good bye to first tractor and implements.
Well a 10/22 is .22 caliber and a Barrett is .50 caliber...interesting comparison. Yes I have been told the new tractor for use on my smaller acreage is like trying to kill a fly with a sledgehammer. The higher horsepower has already proven it's worth but have to take more care when I move the thing.

Yeh I'm having fun and never have to worry about not being able to complete a job now because of low horse power.

I was not aware this forum had any limit for horse power but thanks for the heads up. So far the extra horse power has been great especially ripping out old T bar fence posts. The loader on the new tractor handles the 450 lb stump bucket with ease. It will take a while to learn the technique about the stump bucket but even longer to tame the beast (tractor) in a manner of speaking.

Yes it will take time learn the beast and use of the stump bucket. So far the extra power has been great and as you so correctly pointed out I need to take my time moving this thing as it is a tank on tractor tires in a manner of speaking. At this time the last few days have been sunny with occasional winds so the ground has pretty much dried out with minimal muddy spots. I'm still glad I got R4 tires Vs R1 ag tires as I understand they rut more but have greater traction in soft or muddy soil. This tractor maybe overkill but I admit I having fun while getting the jobs done and not to worry about lack of power.

/ New tractor, good bye to first tractor and implements. #10  
I was not aware this forum had any limit for horse power but thanks for the heads up. So far the extra horse power has been great especially ripping out old T bar fence posts. The loader on the new tractor handles the 450 lb stump bucket with ease. It will take a while to learn the technique about the stump bucket but even longer to tame the beast (tractor) in a manner of speaking.

There is no limit. It is just the user base. I have 18 acres and a 25 hp tractor. Yep it takes me longer to get some things done. But I can also get into the horse barn and in door riding arena. Just important to size the machine to the jobs that need done.

Sounds like you got a great machine.