New tractor hauler

/ New tractor hauler #21  
My BIL just got a new to him, 2012 2500 with the 6.0, against my suggestions, and his best mileage on the freeway has been 15-16. Pulling his 10K (GVW) was probably pulling about 9200, 5th wheel he gets about 7. I got 12.4 pulling my (scaled just before hitting the road) 11,400 5ver.

Not trying but it was easy to lose him in the hills. I just kept mine running between 1700 to 2200 RPM, and it just kept pulling. Robs tune helped a lot in that dept too, with the turbo brake.

While it might not be the best truck, in some terms, it is definitely the most fun and powerful, all the wile getting the best mileage, of any truck I have ever owned. That includes my 1975 Datson 2.0L 4 cyl, 4 spd.

/ New tractor hauler
Hey guys what is the best 2.5" receiver insert? I'm thinking about B&W? What is y'all's experience.

/ New tractor hauler #23  
I totally agree, DP.

I've had two new ecoboost trucks, the first one of the first 500 off the line and traded it w/ 54k. Never had one single problem w/ the truck and bought another ecoboost (14 FX4, max tow, 6.5' bed, loaded). I can tow my tractor w/ grapple, FEL and boxblade along w/ a huge toolbox (approx. 10k all-in) and going through WV and PA into CT, I get 10-11 mpg and that's not doing 65 by any stretch, i.e., quite a bit faster). Keep in mind that this is through the mountains and constantly changing accelerator position.

I've always owned Ford trucks (lost count now) and typically get rid of them around 3.5 yrs. I've had one transmission problem over the years and that was on a 2001 F-150 Screw Lariat. I can say that from my perspective, the ecoboost is an awesome engine and has such torque down low that it really is pretty incredible out of a gasser. I'm sure people are aware that increasing HP on a forced-induction engine nowadays is relatively easy once the programming is figured out. This engine can easily gain 80-100 hp and > 100 ft-pds tourque w/ just a tune and research shows (I wouldn't know!) that if you get the "right" tuner that has experience, it's safe to tune; however, data-logging is really important to ensure the parameters are correct.

Not bashing other brands as I actually considered a RAM this last go-around, but just preferred the Ford w/the ecoboost.

Greg

Last edited:
   / New tractor hauler
That is what I picked up yesterday.

/ New tractor hauler #26  
I totally agree, DP.

I've had two new ecoboost trucks, the first one of the first 500 off the line and traded it w/ 54k. Never had one single problem w/ the truck and bought another ecoboost (14 FX4, max tow, 6.5' bed, loaded). I can tow my tractor w/ grapple, FEL and boxblade along w/ a huge toolbox (approx. 10k all-in) and going through WV and PA into CT, I get 10-11 mpg and that's not doing 65 by any stretch, i.e., quite a bit faster). Keep in mind that this is through the mountains and constantly changing accelerator position.

I've always owned Ford trucks (lost count now) and typically get rid of them around 3.5 yrs. I've had one transmission problem over the years and that was on a 2001 F-150 Screw Lariat. I can say that from my perspective, the ecoboost is an awesome engine and has such torque down low that it really is pretty incredible out of a gasser. I'm sure people are aware that increasing HP on a forced-induction engine nowadays is relatively easy once the programming is figured out. This engine can easily gain 80-100 hp and > 100 ft-pds tourque w/ just a tune and research shows (I wouldn't know!) that if you get the "right" tuner that has experience, it's safe to tune; however, data-logging is really important to ensure the parameters are correct.

Not bashing other brands as I actually considered a RAM this last go-around, but just preferred the Ford w/the ecoboost.

Greg

For overall gas mileage, if that were my goal, I'd go Ram Ecodiesel, but for a 1/2 ton to tow, I agree, the Ford Ecoboost would be top on my list. That said, my Duramax isn't going anywhere :).

/ New tractor hauler #27  
Some people talk about the mileage they get ON the interstate..but..Tell us what it was getting for mileage going up the on ramp...big difference.

/ New tractor hauler #28  
Yea but that on ramp isn't very long, so in the long run it doesn't matter. Who the heck measures economy going up an on ramp?

/ New tractor hauler
The only true way to measure mileage is miles driven divided gallons used!

/ New tractor hauler #30  
Hey guys what is the best 2.5" receiver insert? I'm thinking about B&W? What is y'all's experience.

I know you already got one, but I bought a GenY receiver with their drop-hitch and I love it. Just in case anybody else is looking.