New tractor pto shaft help needed

/ New tractor pto shaft help needed #1  

escavader

Veteran Member
Tractor
bx-23 ,
Kubota bx to big b shafts on my implements way to short now by a lot .all have different size shaped shafts .thought of a one to fit all approach ,but the round shafts on implements are all different too.my head wants to explode! So for example with the puma blower hooked up from the tip of my blower shaft to the tip of my tractor pto is 27 inches how long does each half need to be to operate safe ,and not crunch things when I lift things?i guess what I'm asking is how to approach this.i have my snowblower,chipper and rotary mower to do advise please

/ New tractor pto shaft help needed #2  
Open up the wallet. A shaft separating at 540rpms sounds like a damned frightening thing to me.

Also, did the smoking stop or do you think it's just normal exhaust?

/ New tractor pto shaft help needed
Open up the wallet. A shaft separating at 540rpms sounds like a damned frightening thing to me. Also, did the smoking stop or do you think it's just normal exhaust?
howdy yes tractor seems much less smelly on second tank don't know what was going on but 100 better now
I had a pto shaft come apart on the bx dealer had cut short wow beat the crap out of everything!
I watched a few u tube videos they gave me an idea how to size em

/ New tractor pto shaft help needed #4  
Kubota bx to big b shafts on my implements way to short now by a lot .all have different size shaped shafts .thought of a one to fit all approach ,but the round shafts on implements are all different too.my head wants to explode! So for example with the puma blower hooked up from the tip of my blower shaft to the tip of my tractor pto is 27 inches how long does each half need to be to operate safe ,and not crunch things when I lift things?i guess what I'm asking is how to approach this.i have my snowblower,chipper and rotary mower to do advise please

Maybe this will help you:
CHECK DRIVELINE MAXIMUM LENGTH
Refer to Figure 2
Make sure driveline collapsible length is acceptable. If
needed, refer to “Attaching To Tractor”.
The driveline maximum allowable length must, when fully
extended, have a minimum overlap of the profile tubes by
not less than 1/3 the free length with both inner and outer
profile tubes being of equal length.
1. Apply multi-purpose grease to the inside of the outer
shaft and reassemble the driveline.
2. Assemble the two driveline profiles together with just 1/3
overlapping of the profile tubes as shown below. Once
assembled, measure and record the maximum allowable
length for future reference.

3. Attach inner driveline yoke to the tiller gearbox shaft.
Attach outer driveline yoke to the tractor’s PTO shaft.
4. Move yoke ends of driveline back and forth to insure they
are secured to the tractor and tiller shafts. Reattach any
end that is loose.
5. Hook driveline safety chain on the tractor end of driveline
to tiller frame. Re-latch safety chain to the driveline shield.
6. Hook driveline safety chain on the Rotary Tiller end of
driveline to the tiller frame. Re-latch safety chain to
driveline shield.
7. Start tractor and raise Rotary Tiller just enough to remove
support blocks.
8. Slowly engage tractor hydraulic 3-point control lever
to lower the tiller while checking for sufficient drawbar
clearance. Move drawbar ahead, aside or remove if
required.
9. Raise and lower implement to find maximum extended
driveline length. Check to make certain the driveline does
not exceed maximum allowable length recorded in step 2.
10. If needed, set tractor 3-point lift height to stop driveline
from exceeding maximum allowable length.

So had to lengthen drive line used blower first time drive line very very unhappy such an angle when blowers in ground ut rattles and is very noisy out straight ir down a little its quiet .i broke sevaral sheer bolts i put it all back togeather turn it by hand it turns easy breaking pins( bolrs) under power.Engage real slow come out to pto speed too What the heck is going on??? Should i replace the u joints they are 10 years old dont seem too bad frustrated suggestions please

My post sounds like im drunk ! When blower down very noisy.its it quite an angle. When i lift blower shaft straight it is quiet . Are u joints tired?

/ New tractor pto shaft help needed #8  
My post sounds like im drunk ! When blower down very noisy.its it quite an angle. When i lift blower shaft straight it is quiet . Are u joints tired?

Sure sounds like those u-joints might be worn excessively.
Now, reading your signature line, you have two PTO powered implements: the Salsco wood chipper and the Puma snow blower. Do both make the noises you describe when lowered? And, do both decrease the noise when raised? I am assuming each implement has it's own PTO drive shaft, BTW.
From what I've read (on TBN and several other web sites), the angle between the U-Joint affixed to the tractor and the shaft itself should not exceed 15 degrees. More than that can result in premature wear which would result in a pretty noisy u-joint.
However, that wouldn't necessarily cause the shear pin breakage...at least, I wouldn't think so...

Here's a few links that might help you:
How to check U-Joints | How a Car Works
Driveshaft U-Joints Diagnosis and Repair at YouFixCars.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVC76dSBNnY
Constant Velocity PTOs

Good luck and do remember a rotating pto shaft will kill you...so don't work around the PTO unless the tractor's engine is off and you have the key in YOUR pocket!
Good luck!

/ New tractor pto shaft help needed #9  
How much too short? Don't know if a PTO extender might help or not, I have seen ones that provide anywhere from 2 to 11 inches of length to the output shaft (the 11" one was specifically intended for a Greson hydraulic pump...).

Nick

/ New tractor pto shaft help needed #10  
How much too short? Don't know if a PTO extender might help or not, I have seen ones that provide anywhere from 2 to 11 inches of length to the output shaft (the 11" one was specifically intended for a Greson hydraulic pump...).

Nick
Using an extender would increase the angles of the u-joints