New tractor suggestions for snow removal

/ New tractor suggestions for snow removal #41  
I have a Kioti DK5010 50 HP which I am very happy with. DPF has not been an issue. Previous tractor was a 30 HP. The upgrade in weight and horsepower has been great. The 30 HP would do the work but was much slower. The disadvantage of the larger tractor is the larger size for maneuvering and the cost. My closest dealer is a few hours away but have never needed to take the tractor in.

Since each snow can be unpredictable in wetness, depth, etc. and how much you will get in a period of time some years you might be happy with a smaller tractor whereas others grateful for a larger one. And then there is the unpredictability of global warming.

A larger, heavier tractor may not necessitate chains, especially if it does not tend to get icy. But rear tractor chains are very heavy, and the larger the tractor the more weight to wrestle.

A few more considerations. Do you have plenty of room to push the snow for plowing? If so would you be better off with a truck plow? Do you need the tractor for other things? If you are considering a rear facing snow blower how does your body do with twisting around backwards? Snow blowers can be great but they require more maintenance the buckets and blades and are more costly. They also can clog, particularly with wet, heavy snow. If you get a snow blower it is a good idea to have extra low gearing on the tractor. Depending on the snow conditions if you can't go slow enough there is more of a tendency to clog. With higher low gearing you get in a crunch between keeping the rpms up for the blower to function efficiently and the speed down to reduce snow intake.

/ New tractor suggestions for snow removal #42  
I have a Kioti DK5010 50 HP which I am very happy with. DPF has not been an issue. Previous tractor was a 30 HP. The upgrade in weight and horsepower has been great. The 30 HP would do the work but was much slower. The disadvantage of the larger tractor is the larger size for maneuvering and the cost. My closest dealer is a few hours away but have never needed to take the tractor in.

Since each snow can be unpredictable in wetness, depth, etc. and how much you will get in a period of time some years you might be happy with a smaller tractor whereas others grateful for a larger one. And then there is the unpredictability of global warming.

A larger, heavier tractor may not necessitate chains, especially if it does not tend to get icy. But rear tractor chains are very heavy, and the larger the tractor the more weight to wrestle.

A few more considerations. Do you have plenty of room to push the snow for plowing? If so would you be better off with a truck plow? Do you need the tractor for other things? If you are considering a rear facing snow blower how does your body do with twisting around backwards? Snow blowers can be great but they require more maintenance the buckets and blades and are more costly. They also can clog, particularly with wet, heavy snow. If you get a snow blower it is a good idea to have extra low gearing on the tractor. Depending on the snow conditions if you can't go slow enough there is more of a tendency to clog. With higher low gearing you get in a crunch between keeping the rpms up for the blower to function efficiently and the speed down to reduce snow intake.
That’s where the hst comes in. I consider it mandatory for snowblower operation.

Not everyone agrees, though.

/ New tractor suggestions for snow removal #43  
That’s where the hst comes in. I consider it mandatory for snowblower operation.

Not sure if I understand. I'm it certainly helps to ease into power but ultimately keeping the speed low while engine rpms are maintained higher still seems to depend on how low the low range gearing is.

/ New tractor suggestions for snow removal #44  

I find that the creeper gear in my Kubota B2150 works great for snowblowing. I can see where an HST might be nice for that just as it is for lawn mowing but the creeper gear is outstanding in my experience.

/ New tractor suggestions for snow removal #45  
Hst will go slower than a manual transmission, even than a creeper gear.

Also, I believe the op mentioned fork work, another job where a hst will outperform a manual transmission.

/ New tractor suggestions for snow removal #47  
Perhaps grinding silage or some pto intensive work. Gear drive comes up short for most typical work a compact tractor is used for, like loader and fork work, mowing small, congested plots, snowblower work, etc.

Gear drive works best as a prime mover for ground engaging implements typical of traditional farming operations or pto work.

In my opinion, hst is a better fit for small landowners, where this sized tractor is mostly sold, as witnessed by the dominating market share.

/ New tractor suggestions for snow removal #49  
When you start racking up several thousand hours and 20 years on your hydros then you can start trying to tell me how -- good they are.
Small homeowner type jobs and light duty fine. When they have to work hard even the super fancy and expensive IVTs are falling short compared to power shift gear boxs.
And before someone brings up there SkidSteers how many make it to 6000 hours without major hydraulic work.
A great many gear and power shift tractors have racked up many 1000's of hours with NO clutches or transmission work or even engine work.

/ New tractor suggestions for snow removal #50  
Hst will go slower than a manual transmission, even than a creeper gear.

Also, I believe the op mentioned fork work, another job where a hst will outperform a manual transmission.
You are right. Sitting there slipping and going nowhere is even slower than a creeper gear! I'm kidding you mostly of course. I'll never forget some guy in a camper about 30 years ago with excellent traction but stuck in deep mud or something. He was sitting there with the thing floored & all sorts of loud humming going on but no wheels turning. I prefer my stick shift tractors but have caved in on cars and trucks ...since you almost can't buy sticks anymore...