Newbie...Can I dig my own footings?

/ Newbie...Can I dig my own footings?
Have you considered a floating slab?

Good Luck

Yooper Dave

Carl mentioned that above, but wouldn't that move with shifting/heaving on the side a small mountain?

If it was in a pasture area, I would consider it, but on the side of a 1067ft. mtn? I'm at about 450' elevation.

/ Newbie...Can I dig my own footings? #22  
Pixguy,

We are on ledge here and here is a picture of the barn. and some rocks..

You need to have a clear level area 30x40' and remove the base material then build up a footing / slab and compact it.

The ledge you and I have is going no where so build on it, but make sure you have a decent base.

What you dont see in the pictures is the ledge 10' high behind the barn, but we have plenty of rock and ledge here and I just work around it and am happy when I can dig a few feet and not hit it..

So scrape down your area to a flat spot then bring in some crusher run gravel and pack it - you will be fine with a slab on grade barn.

Carl

Attachments

• 100_0917.jpg
    100_0917.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 177
  • DCP00687.JPG
    DCP00687.JPG
    322.2 KB · Views: 134
   / Newbie...Can I dig my own footings? #23  
Pixguy,

You need to have a clear level area 30x40' and remove the base material then build up a footing / slab and compact it.

The ledge you and I have is going no where so build on it, but make sure you have a decent base.

What you dont see in the pictures is the ledge 10' high behind the barn, but we have plenty of rock and ledge here and I just work around it and am happy when I can dig a few feet and not hit it..

So scrape down your area to a flat spot then bring in some crusher run gravel and pack it - you will be fine with a slab on grade barn.

Carl

Mighty fine "Barn"

/ Newbie...Can I dig my own footings? #24  
Pixguy,

Carl

Carl, I'm planning on breaking ground this summer on a new garage, if mine looks half as good as yours I'd be happy......Nice work....:thumbsup:

/ Newbie...Can I dig my own footings? #25  
Thanks Ultrrarunner & Wdchyd for the nice comments, it needed to blend in with the other structures we have per the resident design officer (wife).

Wdchyd if you want a materials list in excel that I used for materials bids send me a PM with your email and I will send. There are no support posts but floor trusses and a second floor as well.

The town required me to get an engineering/architect to sign off on the prints and slab grade foundation but it wasnt terribly expensive - $250 if I recall.

Carl, Sweet looking "barn", my garage will look similar to yours with the green metal roof to match our home as well. Did you use wood or vinyl shingles? I'm looking to do low maintenance, as my house took 18 gallons of sikkens last summer and I have to still put on a 3rd. coat.:mad:

Also sent you a pm, please ck.

Bill

/ Newbie...Can I dig my own footings? #27  
Thanks all for your ideas. :) First of all, I won't listen to someone who's shed has sank into the ground! :D

Ahh come on now! :laughing::cool:

/ Newbie...Can I dig my own footings? #28  
Wow nice barn Carl very well done sir I would be happy to have you in my neighborhood! :thumbsup:

/ Newbie...Can I dig my own footings? #29  
yup- just like the other posters says, you need to call your local permit office/zoning. usually when getting a permit for building things, you will get instructions how deep the footings in your area will need to be. for example, when I added on my garage and wanted a simple lean-to in back, they said my posts or footing needs to be touching the bottom of the soil that is 42" below grade. Since I had a TLB, I just dug down to depth, installed my posts and had it inspected.

You cant ask people here for advice for how deep it gotta be since it varies from region to region. My folks only lives 2 hrs from me and they require 48" deep, not 42 in my region.

just pick up the phone and call your local town office for zoning and go from there.

Here are some photos that I don't have with me now in this linkhttp://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/massey-ferguson-owning-operating/187399-new-photos-2410tlb.html

The third photo shows the area where the garage is proposed. You can see the trench for conduit that I ran from the future garage to an RV pad below.

So you can somewhat see the incline that will above the side of the garage and I'm concerned that a floating slab will affected by the hill.
Do I need a concrete wall to protect the garage from any washout and if so, I guess I need footing to hold that wall.

Thanks again for your input as I think/type aloud. :confused: