Newbie mf 135 owner

/ Newbie mf 135 owner #11  
Are you sure its a Z-134?? I've got a '67 135 Delux (all five gauges) with the Z-145 Cont..do you still have the plate on the left side of the engine?? BobG in VA

If it's a Special it should have the Continental Z-134 engine, and if it's a Deluxe or a Vineyard it should have the Continental Z145 engine. Obviously, that doesn't rule out an engine swap, so I agree that it's best to go by the tag on the block.

/ Newbie mf 135 owner
Sorry, it is a 1967 "Special 135" with five gauges, power steering & the Z-134 Continental gas engine with a Marvel-Schebler carb. Additionally, my dad put a Kelly loader on it. I am trying to figure out how to post a photo on my Tractorbynet page.

I turned out the idle screw & the high speed screw & it does run better...I just have to tinker around with the carb I have been cautious about fooling with things I know nothing about...I think that it was running far to rich..

If I say anything that is not correct, I am sorry, I'm learning as I go. I want to do what I can because I haven't had good luck with the mechanics here at home....when you live where I live, you do not have many choices about mechanics....or anything else for that matter...lol

/ Newbie mf 135 owner #13  
yuridog said:
Sorry, it is a 1967 "Special 135" with five gauges, power steering & the Z-134 Continental gas engine with a Marvel-Schebler carb. Additionally, my dad put a Kelly loader on it. I am trying to figure out how to post a photo on my Tractorbynet page.

I turned out the idle screw & the high speed screw & it does run better...I just have to tinker around with the carb I have been cautious about fooling with things I know nothing about...I think that it was running far to rich..

If I say anything that is not correct, I am sorry, I'm learning as I go. I want to do what I can because I haven't had good luck with the mechanics here at home....when you live where I live, you do not have many choices about mechanics....or anything else for that matter...lol

Here's a link to that type of carb with adjustment suggestions.

http://www.kellyaerospace.com/articles/Accessory_AMT.pdf

/ Newbie mf 135 owner #14  
1967 mf 135 deluxe with the marvel-Scribner carb ( Continental z-134, 4 cylinder gas engine).

I have checked the timing & it is at 5 degree...points are set right 21 & good condition....plugs/wires & distributor are good. I use non ethanol premium gas.
The carb has an idle air/gas screw with a spring around it & a larger gas/air mixture screw. I am not a mechanic, however, I try to take care of my baby myself....Don't trust anyone else with her...LOL

I am having a difficult time try to get her to run & idle smoothly...

Thanks very much for your help!!! I hope this helps you.

Dennis

Before you mess with the carb, make sure you have a FAT, BLUISH-WHITE SPARK, the color of lightning. DOn't tell me you set every thing correctly. The proof is a FAT, BLUISH-WHITE SPARK!
Make sure you tiling is correct(I know you said it was !) and check the ADVANCE FOR FUNCTION WITH A TIMING LIGHT. Adjust as necessary.

Set the idle air screw at 7/8 turn open and the main jet to 1-1/4 turns open. The idle air screw controls air so to enrich the mixture you screw it in. The main jet controls fuel so to enrich you screw it out. There is a screw that adjusts the throttle position that controls the engine speed.
Let the engine come to operating temperature and adjust the idle mixture to get the lowest idle speed where it runs. It's a trail and error process. You'll have to lower the speed and adust mixture. When you have it running as low as possible, then adjust to the spec idle speed(400 rpm for the Z145?).

Now open the throttle rapidly to accelerate the engine. It should quickly and smoothly accelerate. If it coughs or stumbles open the main jet 1/8 turn and see if it improves. Adjust again if necessary. Some times enriching the main jet makes it worse so go an eighth turn leaner. Again, trial and error.

Never adjust the main jet less than 1 full turn out. The evaporation of fuel causes some charge cooling which will keep EGT down and keep the exhaust valves cooler. if you get below 1 full turn you won't get enough charge cooling.

/ Newbie mf 135 owner
Thank you so very much...The Kid & Jerry/MT! Kid the link is great information & I appreciate! Jerry, I will go out to the shop & check the spark after I feed. Where are you in Montana? I have a daughter in Kalispell & lived there for five years. I built a home in Moyie Springs, Idaho & live here now. Kalispell just got to big for my likeing..

I really love my little MF 135 it is just the right size for what I need & the loader is a God sent...LOL Sure makes chores go faster & less work for my back...lol
My tractor is in very good condition & I try hard to maintain that. The mechanics here don't treat it like i do! I keep it in top running & working condition. I personally think it is one of the best looking tractors ever made; not to big ...not to small & with plenty of power.

I really do appreciate the help you all have given me...A BIG thanks to you ALL!!!

Dennis

/ Newbie mf 135 owner #16  
Before adjusting the carburetor, you should verify that you have a good spark. Have you checked/replaced the condenser? They can cause the tractor to run rough and have idle problems. It's less likely, but the coil can sometimes do the same.

Before you mess with the carb, make sure you have a FAT, BLUISH-WHITE SPARK, the color of lightning. DOn't tell me you set every thing correctly. The proof is a FAT, BLUISH-WHITE SPARK!
Make sure you tiling is correct(I know you said it was !) and check the ADVANCE FOR FUNCTION WITH A TIMING LIGHT. Adjust as necessary.

There is an old saying that goes something like this... 98% of carburetor problems are caused by the ignition system.

/ Newbie mf 135 owner #17  
...and 75% of electrical problems are bad grounds.

I agree, physically confirm a strong spark before playing with your carb.

Also, you may simply have a clogged screen, top of the glass fuel strainer / shut off. It doesn't take much to clog it, the mesh is fairly fine. You wouldn't be the first who forgot it was there.

That said I had to rebuild my schebler, and while impossible to say I'd guess it had been some years since it had ever been looked at. In fact, the jets now come with a rubber tips, originals were brass. I found they were hard to get to seat well.

/ Newbie mf 135 owner #18  
Thank you so very much...The Kid & Jerry/MT! Kid the link is great information & I appreciate! Jerry, I will go out to the shop & check the spark after I feed. Where are you in Montana? I have a daughter in Kalispell & lived there for five years. I built a home in Moyie Springs, Idaho & live here now. Kalispell just got to big for my likeing..

I really love my little MF 135 it is just the right size for what I need & the loader is a God sent...LOL Sure makes chores go faster & less work for my back...lol
My tractor is in very good condition & I try hard to maintain that. The mechanics here don't treat it like i do! I keep it in top running & working condition. I personally think it is one of the best looking tractors ever made; not to big ...not to small & with plenty of power.

I really do appreciate the help you all have given me...A BIG thanks to you ALL!!!

Dennis

I live about 5 NW of St. Ignatius.