Tractor Sizing Newbie needs tractor recommendations

/ Newbie needs tractor recommendations
What you need as much as anything is about four sons, ages, say 15 to 20.:laughing:

Darn - I'll have to give up the dream. :)

All I've got is one 15 yr old daughter who has vowed to never come out of her room if we are so cruel as to make her move from the suburbs to a farm. But I do have a wife who has had this dream longer than I have and I have a life long friend who takes abuse well.

/ Newbie needs tractor recommendations #12  
I think i would break the purchase down into 3 machines.

1, get a TLB industrial model like a ford 555 it has a very hd loader and backhow. you can get forks for the loader for the forklift idea, and will run better over that sand than a forklift.. or even a rough teraine lift.

2, get a big older tractor.. say ford 5XXX + upt to a 7XXX or even a 8xxx/9xxx/tw series... that will be the big hp machine if you need a batwing or dig disc.

3, get big CUT or small UT 4wd.. maybee with a quick attach loader.. or perhaps no loder at all. this machine would likelt be inthe 35-45 hp range and would be the basic run around machine to do most chores unless digging the pond or moving lots rounders ( TLB ) or big mowing and discing ( large machine ).

the used tlb and big older iron will likely set you back about 12000$.. the 4wd CUT will likely set you back 10-20K depending on specific options if new.. perhaps a lil less used. alternately nix the idea of the big older iron and just go tlb and a 45-60 hp UT tractor. it will limit your mower size to a max of about 8' and perhaps a 10' disc.. though.. and probabl not much $ savings, as the older iron likely only costs 3000-6000$ and you can eat that up easilly going from the 2 hp ranges i specified. though don't always think on the small side.. a good used late model 90-100 hp ford/NH like a 7610s can be found in 4wd and with a loader ifneeded. lots were used around marion county as road maintenance mahines.. weeks auction is near you ( so am i, realitively speaking since fl is narrow in your area ).. and they have lots of mahines like I'm talking about going thru monthly.. same with mowers and disc. etc. a good used 7610s 4x4 with loader and a disc and 10' mower might make a nice package..

congrats on the big acerage.. i'd love to have that much.. sand or not.

ps.. that's great terraine for hog, bear and deer... have taken many hog there...

ps ps.. welcome to TBN!

soundguy

Your go-to tractor should be a 50-70 hp 4WD with some type of synchro shift tranny, power steering, 6-ft wide FEL with skid steer quick attach option on the FEL arms, triple hydraulic remotes on the rear and one remote on the front, and (possibly) a cab with A/C to keep you cool and bug-free.

Good luck.

Thanks, that's about what I was thinking.

a few photos, sorry for the poor resolution but it's all I have now.

Attachments

• Cesum Farm Oaks.png
    Cesum Farm Oaks.png
    180.4 KB · Views: 112
  • Cesum Farm Pines.png
    Cesum Farm Pines.png
    167.8 KB · Views: 99
  • Cesum Farm Pines 2.png
    Cesum Farm Pines 2.png
    161.8 KB · Views: 101
   / Newbie needs tractor recommendations #15  
I can't improve on the advice given so far, but having farmed be prepared to do something like Soundguy recommends and be willing to spend a lot more money than you can now imagine. We have several tractors, but still have had to rent/hire work done and we aren't even farming for a living.

Good luck with your endeavors; nothing quite like living in the country.:thumbsup:

/ Newbie needs tractor recommendations #16  
Thermal Nuclear War Head. Then just a box blade:laughing:

/ Newbie needs tractor recommendations #17  
I'll support Flusher's and Soundguy's recommendations. After looking at your pics, your trees are not quite as massive as I had imagined, and maybe the attack of the killer D8's isn't really needed. A big old TLB plus Soundguy's big Ford, or the equivalent, would probably do wonders. And a good "go-to" tractor, as Flusher puts it, will be extremely useful for general daily activity. You'll still be spending a lot of quality time out there, I imagine.

/ Newbie needs tractor recommendations #18  
Your go-to tractor should be a 50-70 hp 4WD with some type of synchro shift tranny, power steering, 6-ft wide FEL with skid steer quick attach option on the FEL arms, triple hydraulic remotes on the rear and one remote on the front, and (possibly) a cab with A/C to keep you cool and bug-free.

Good luck.

That's about what my recommendation was going to be. A tractor with about 60-65 PTO hp is big enough to handle a fair bit of hay/field work, but is also small enough to still do utility oriented tasks. This size tractor will handle a 7', 8' or 10' (pull-type) bush hog, use a 7' loader bucket, 7' box blade, 8' scrape blade. For field work you can pull a 3 bottom plow, 8' to 12' disc harrow, mow hay with a 9' mower conditioner (sickle type) or about a 7' disc mower. Bale with most any square baler or 4x4 or 4x5' round balers.

I personally like John Deere and Kubota, so my recommendation would be either the M7040 Kubota or 5083E JD.

Soundguy - thanks for the input. I checked into Week Auctions, that's a good lead. I wish I was going to be around there for their July 9 auction of heavy equipment. Even if I didn't buy anything, it would be very educational just to see where the market is at.

I'm near Silver Springs, where are you?

/ Newbie needs tractor recommendations #20  
i'm in the but end of the county.. my back yard borders sumter.

weeks is on sr 40, just west of i75.. likely a straight shot for you.

I catch MOST of their auctions.

soundguy