Tractor Sizing Newbie needs tractor recommendations

/ Newbie needs tractor recommendations
I'll support Flusher's and Soundguy's recommendations. After looking at your pics, your trees are not quite as massive as I had imagined, and maybe the attack of the killer D8's isn't really needed. A big old TLB plus Soundguy's big Ford, or the equivalent, would probably do wonders. And a good "go-to" tractor, as Flusher puts it, will be extremely useful for general daily activity. You'll still be spending a lot of quality time out there, I imagine.

No, most pines down here are harvested for pulp wood and are cut when they are well under 12". There is a paper plant not too far from here that I'm told makes toilet paper. Most people aren't willing to wait for the pines to get to saw timber size, about 14" or larger at breast height, even though the saw timber sells for near about 10X pulp wood. I can afford to wait because the trees don't really consume much space or resources when you're grazing cattle under them.

ps.. that's great terraine for hog, bear and deer... have taken many hog there...

Oh yeah, excellent hunting ground. The real estate agent who showed me the property told me there were absolutely no hogs around, he had made sure of that.

I came back the next day to walk around by myself. Up ahead I see two black cats playing. As i get closer, it turns out the black cats have pushed in noses and squeal instead of meowing. There were maybe 10 or 12 piglets and 2 sows running away from me. Apparently they had failed to clear their visit with the real estate agent.

I found their wallow and have learned about sour corn bait. It's just a matter of time before I invite one of those guys to dinner.

So far I've found on my land pigs, lots of turkey, deer, some sort of black snakes, gopher tortoise, hawks, and a dog skeleton (there was a tick and flea collar near by). I'm going to have to add a 243 rifle to my collection of toys.

/ Newbie needs tractor recommendations #23  
i have one in my freezer right now

Soundguy, I'm dividing my time right now between the gateway to ****, AKA Washington DC, and Florida. Next time I'm down and an auction is going, I'll contact you to see if it would be possible to meet there. I would love to just listen and learn from you about the equipment and auction process.

/ Newbie needs tractor recommendations #25  
...the gateway to ****, AKA Washington DC...

Sheesh, you gave me a flashback. Went through a number of years doing bi-weekly trips to DC about 20 years ago. The historic and visitor attractions are great, but I have to say the atmosphere of bureaucracy, regulation and politics was so overwhelming that I hated the place regardless. Your land reclamation project is something great to look forward to. Enjoy!

/ Newbie needs tractor recommendations #26  
if I canmake it to the next one i'll pm you.

there is another board member Iknow that goes to them frequently.

soundguy

Sheesh, you gave me a flashback. Went through a number of years doing bi-weekly trips to DC about 20 years ago. The historic and visitor attractions are great, but I have to say the atmosphere of bureaucracy, regulation and politics was so overwhelming that I hated the place regardless. Your land reclamation project is something great to look forward to. Enjoy!

I'll be very happy to be away from here permanently. Would never have left Florida in the first place but when you're in the Gov't contracting biz, you follow the money.

I just noticed your locale. The farms I spent summers on when I was a kid were in Lumberton and Laurinburg, NC. We grew cattle, pigs, watermelon, cantaloupe, tobacco, and fond memories. Unfortunately all those extended family members are gone now so I don't have them call for advice.