Newbie. Please help!

/ Newbie. Please help! #21  
Jonah,

Recently I bent my Ford 1700 steering arm an had a slight surface stress crack. I don't know how close the metallurgy and casting is between final drive and let say steering arm. I straightened the arm by taking the steering arm off, uses a dremel tool with cut of wheel, scored the crack area and gave it a bit of bevel, cleaned it and used my 120 volt Mig welder (used core flux wire, same of stick welding) and to my surprise it really took the weld well. a bit of cosmetic :eek: side grinding and a few sprays from a can of Ford enamel and I was good to go. I think it can be welded shut, although like Bill can't see how you can get that much of water out of a small crack.

JC,

/ Newbie. Please help! #22  
The Ford 134 is what the manual says to use for the final reduction gear cases but I have been using regular 75w90 gear oil. It will not leak as bad (if at all) and is fine to use in those slow moving gears.

Just make sure to get a yellow metal safe version that is determined by the AP number. There are some threads on here that will explain it all. Last stuff I bought was from napa.

This oil will be thicker and in my climate it has not been a problem. We see sub zero temps at times but my 1210 lives in a heated garage in winter.