NH 479 haybine?

/ NH 479 haybine?
Thanks for the reply. Gonna look for something much better.
Thanks Paul

/ NH 479 haybine? #12  
Looks like they are in better shape then mine, but for $800 I can't complain. It cut's hay and put's it into windrows.:) What I plan on doing instead of replacing the rollers, is to find another 479 in better shape for around $2500, and use the one I have now for parts.

/ NH 479 haybine? #13  
What's the problem? Those are impact pits from trying to run too many rocks thru the rolls. The ribs look good. Hay is crushed via interaction with the ribs, not the gaps. Proper spacing of the rolls should leave minimum of 1/8" between the ribs and valleys as I recall. If this is going to be used as a small operation mower, then make a lowball offer and take it home. These things don't really wear out, they give up the ghost in one big bang. (When it throws a chain). If you want to check out the rocky field use theory, check to see if the lower control arms are bent (the 2 links that attach the header to the tube chassis). If they are bent, or the sleeves heavily worn, she's been down a rocky road. Also, if the skids are set in the top position, it was used as a close cutter. Still, its worth considering as a fixer upper spare machine. If you have a teen or pre-teen handy kid, let them take a crack at it to get it working. They will make you proud.

/ NH 479 haybine? #14  
What's the problem? QUOTE]

It's impossible to maintain the proper gap when part of what you are measuring against is gone. 1/8" gap where the rubber is still in the 'valleys', and 3/8 to the bare roll where the rubber is gone. Once that rubber starts to delaminate from the underlying roll, it doesn't stop. Many folks already own machines with rolls that bad and worse, and continue to use them; that's their choice. The OP wanted opinions on these rolls before purchasing the machine, I think buying a machine with rolls in that condition is a mistake. Conditioning will be somewhere between inconsistent and poor. There is no reasonable fix for this problem.

/ NH 479 haybine? #15  
Stay away from that. Once that rubber starts seperatin from the metal its all downhill. I had a 467 before the 1209 i have now and sold the 1209 cause i picked up about 200 more acres. Steer clear of that machine,

/ NH 479 haybine? #16  
That's $2683 without any other incidentals. The average guy probably should figure a whole day for the job, at least. Two days without a cutting torch. The bearings can be found for less, the rolls not so much.

Rick; are you saying that the bearings will have to be cut off rollers - or very likely? If not, what's the torch for?

Thanks.

AKfish

/ NH 479 haybine? #17  
Not wanting to get cross-wise on the OP's post -- but, any opinions on the 1209 or 1219 and the NH 479?

I've seen a fair number of the JD's out there and the prices aren't too bad. $3,500 - $4,000 will get you a good shape machine.

AKfish

/ NH 479 haybine? #18  
I've run/owned NH mower conditioners (I'm not knocking them) but after buying and using a Hesston 1091, I'd never go back to a NH. IMHO I find the Hesston does a great job and when it does need repairs is much easyier to work on. If I was going to buy a used mower conditioner I would look for a Hesston 1091 or newer (also a CIH model, Hesston made them as well, before CIH and NH were bought by Fait). And regardless of brand, if the rollers are shot, the machine is done as a conditioner, it just becomes a heavy sicklebar mower.

/ NH 479 haybine? #19  
I've run/owned NH mower conditioners (I'm not knocking them) but after buying and using a Hesston 1091, I'd never go back to a NH. IMHO I find the Hesston does a great job and when it does need repairs is much easyier to work on. If I was going to buy a used mower conditioner I would look for a Hesston 1091 or newer (also a CIH model, Hesston made them as well, before CIH and NH were bought by Fait). And regardless of brand, if the rollers are shot, the machine is done as a conditioner, it just becomes a heavy sicklebar mower.

I agree on the Hesston thing, but the OP asked about a 479 and 1219.

/ NH 479 haybine? #20  
Rick; are you saying that the bearings will have to be cut off rollers - or very likely? If not, what's the torch for?

Thanks.

AKfish

Attempting to salvage 30 year old sealed ball bearings is a fool's errand, IMHO. A torch will 'cut' (sorry) the disassembly time by half, or more. Waste the bearings and replace with new. The notion of replacing the conditioning rolls in a machine of this age and value makes no economic sense to me in most cases anyway, especially on a new purchase.