NH 479 haybine?

/ NH 479 haybine? #21  
:D Which never stopped a motivate individual. Right now theres an old Haybine on Tractorhouse thats had the conditioning rollers replaced. The price isn't listed....probably for good reason.

/ NH 479 haybine? #22  
My neighbor replaced the rolls in his self propelled version of this mower with ones from an almost brand new one in which the cutter bar and pan was sliced in half by a boulder stump. It took him nearly a week to get it apart and put it back together with lots of help. The rolls are VERY heavy and awkward to maneuver into place in their side panels. We were praying only that they were round (true) because he didn't/couldn't check first. Absolutely burn off the bearings, Why risk putting back in a bearing that has contamination, wear, roundness issues and persuassion marks on it? They are stock bearings at TSC and you can upgrade to sealed units. My other neighbor has a JD 1407 and liked it so much he towed it back to Missouri last November when he moved (on a trailer of course). Same aspects as the NH's: parts at TSC. Lots of dealers nearby in my neighborhood. All are willing to UPS parts to me.

/ NH 479 haybine? #23  
:D Which never stopped a motivate individual. Right now theres an old Haybine on Tractorhouse thats had the conditioning rollers replaced. The price isn't listed....probably for good reason.

I saw that one, too! Once you start down that path of pouring money into an older platform - the dominos can keep fallin' down..

/ NH 479 haybine? #24  
We use a 489 that lost its rubber. That was a terrible 2 seasons before the rollers were replaced. It was expensive.

/ NH 479 haybine? #25  
Thanks for the replies.
Well went and looked at it. Sickles and guards all in good shape. It does need new belts. The one thing that concerns me is the crimper rolls. Do I have to worry about these? The crimping part looks fine. It's the thin parts between them that worry me.
Thanks Paul

Gemplers has a rubber compound made to repair ag tire lugs,wondering if it would be good for the rolls?...I changed the belts on my 477. It's not a real easy job.

/ NH 479 haybine?
I ended up buying a NH 499. It cut 110 acres a year of CRP. It's in really good shape.
Thanks for all the input.
Paul