NH Boomer 3050 Battery Sized Too Small

/ NH Boomer 3050 Battery Sized Too Small #1  

WCarp

Tractor
NH Boomer 3050
I purchased a new NH Boomer 3050 and found that the engine didn't crank over very well to the point of hardly starting. (It was a 2013 model and had sat around and as a result the battery had a sulfation problem.) I got a brand new battery from the dealer and it's performance is not real good--at approx. 36 degrees F, the minimum cranking voltage was 9.2 V. The battery is a group 47 (600 CCA) which is substantially smaller than the group 24F that was on the NH TC45D which has the same engine displacement. With the TC45D, it turned over pretty well, even at freezing temperatures. A NH Boomer 41 and 47 has Group 34 770 CCA battery.

When I mentioned the group size that was in my tractor, to an ASE Certified Master Auto and Truck Tech, that works on tractors also, he immediately thought it was undersized for the tractor.

I was wondering if any one that has a Boomer 3045 or 3050 that use them during cold winters has had any problems starting their tractors?

Thanks

/ NH Boomer 3050 Battery Sized Too Small #3  
Install the highest CCA battery that will squeeze into the battery box . If the battery box lends it's self to modification to enlarge it , do so.
Quality cables and a proper connection on the "ground/chassis" return is all too often a problem. The - from the battery should be connected direct to a starter mounting bolt.

/ NH Boomer 3050 Battery Sized Too Small
The tractor doesn't have a battery box but is made so that only a group 47 battery will fit. The group 47 battery is a NH correct replacement under warranty and since the minimum battery starting voltage is low, that means the cables aren't the problem.

/ NH Boomer 3050 Battery Sized Too Small
RickB--I was wondering if you know if any of your customers tried starting their tractors at an ambient temperature of around 32 degrees or lower without an engine heater?

/ NH Boomer 3050 Battery Sized Too Small #6  
RickB--I was wondering if you know if any of your customers tried starting their tractors at an ambient temperature of around 32 degrees or lower without an engine heater?

I don't know definitively, but I'd wager most don't use a block heater much.

/ NH Boomer 3050 Battery Sized Too Small #7  
The tractor doesn't have a battery box but is made so that only a group 47 battery will fit. The group 47 battery is a NH correct replacement under warranty and since the minimum battery starting voltage is low, that means the cables aren't the problem.

Starter draw could be.

/ NH Boomer 3050 Battery Sized Too Small #8  

Measure the voltage battery post to battery post when starting. Then measure the voltage from the starter's positive post to the starter's body while cranking.
You are going to be concerned about the difference.
Check the CCA of various group 47 batteries, they vary.
A quality group 47 battery will power a 5KW starter at full power for several seconds . The slow starting is due to either a cheapo low CCA battery, VD on the connections or a failing starter.

/ NH Boomer 3050 Battery Sized Too Small #9  
Regardless of what battery is in the tractor currently, do a voltage reading across the posts while cranking. What does the VOM read for volts?
Then read the volts after it is running. What does it read?
Now turn on the high beams and see what it drops to. #?
If it has a heater, run that and see what it reads.
Report back all readings.
Cables can and do go bad internally, under the plastic sheathing. But first let's see what she reads at idle in above tests.

/ NH Boomer 3050 Battery Sized Too Small #10  
Does the start motor get very hot?