NH Boomer 3050 Battery Sized Too Small

/ NH Boomer 3050 Battery Sized Too Small
Coyote--In my first post I mentioned that the minimum cranking voltage was 9.2 V--this is at the battery's terminals. The charging voltage is fine. If the cables and connections were an issue, the voltage at the battery wouldn't be so low during cranking.

Agvg--I didn't feel of the starter motor so I don't know how warm it would be.

Everything is looking like--well the battery is obviously undersized for the job--in particular, in cold climates.

/ NH Boomer 3050 Battery Sized Too Small #12  
If the the starter is defective it can draw a lot of current and be very slow.

/ NH Boomer 3050 Battery Sized Too Small #14  
Coyote--In my first post I mentioned that the minimum cranking voltage was 9.2 V--this is at the battery's terminals. The charging voltage is fine. If the cables and connections were an issue, the voltage at the battery wouldn't be so low during cranking.
<snip>

Everything is looking like--well the battery is obviously undersized for the job--in particular, in cold climates.

I read what you wrote- I'm interested in what the voltage starts at and drops to during initial cranking, 1st time of the day.

Everything is looking like you have made up your mind without complete troubleshooting.

100% agree.

So what is the tractor manufacturer's exact spec for the size: L x W x H and CCA of the required battery to be used in your specific model/year machine?

/ NH Boomer 3050 Battery Sized Too Small #15  
I'd be looking for starting system problems also. These tractors don't have large batteries and I would always put in the largest one available, but 500 to 600 CCA seems par for the course for similar size tractors and they don't have problems.

/ NH Boomer 3050 Battery Sized Too Small #16  
   / NH Boomer 3050 Battery Sized Too Small #17  
Regardless of what battery is in the tractor currently, do a voltage reading across the posts while cranking. What does the VOM read for volts?
Then read the volts after it is running. What does it read?
Now turn on the high beams and see what it drops to. #?
If it has a heater, run that and see what it reads.
Report back all readings.
Cables can and do go bad internally, under the plastic sheathing. But first let's see what she reads at idle in above tests.

Also Need to know the voltage across the starter when cranking to find the voltage drop.

/ NH Boomer 3050 Battery Sized Too Small #18  
Also Need to know the voltage across the starter when cranking to find the voltage drop.

Start at the battery posts. Take the readings I suggested. Work from there. No results are really accurate unless the battery is fully charged to begin with. If a load test is performed on a battery it must be done with a full charge on the battery too. Then work out through cables, grounds, and loads like starter amp draw. Somewhere in the process the numbers will tell what is going on.

If we assume for a second the battery specked for the machine is the correct size, group # and CCA capacity, then either the battery is defective, not being properly charged by the alternator/v regulator, or there is excessive amperage drawn off it by something like the cable(s), starter, etc.

Let's get some relevant readings out here to review- OK OP?

Thanks for the Specs link RickB!

/ NH Boomer 3050 Battery Sized Too Small #19  
that should be sufficient battery for a peanut-sized tractor.

use a block heater, run appropriate winter crankcase oil

you may have a problem that has nothing to do with the battery

/ NH Boomer 3050 Battery Sized Too Small #20  
Start at the battery posts. Take the readings I suggested. Work from there. No results are really accurate unless the battery is fully charged to begin with. If a load test is performed on a battery it must be done with a full charge on the battery too. Then work out through cables, grounds, and loads like starter amp draw. Somewhere in the process the numbers will tell what is going on.

If we assume for a second the battery specked for the machine is the correct size, group # and CCA capacity, then either the battery is defective, not being properly charged by the alternator/v regulator, or there is excessive amperage drawn off it by something like the cable(s), starter, etc.

Let's get some relevant readings out here to review- OK OP?

Thanks for the Specs link RickB!

Have to measure across the starter as well as across the batteries. This will reveal connection, contact or cable problems between the battery posts and the starter.
Does the tractor have hydraulic load while cranking ? a rockshaft that has sagged or a hydro stat transmission that isn't fully "neutral".