NH Boomer 3050 Battery Sized Too Small

/ NH Boomer 3050 Battery Sized Too Small
I purchased a new NH Boomer 3050 and found that the engine didn't crank over very well to the point of hardly starting. (It was a 2013 model and had sat around and as a result the battery had a sulfation problem.) I got a brand new battery from the dealer and it's performance is not real good--at approx. 36 degrees F, the minimum cranking voltage was 9.2 V. The battery is a group 47 (600 CCA) which is substantially smaller than the group 24F that was on the NH TC45D which has the same engine displacement. With the TC45D, it turned over pretty well, even at freezing temperatures. A NH Boomer 41 and 47 has Group 34 770 CCA battery.

When I mentioned the group size that was in my tractor, to an ASE Certified Master Auto and Truck Tech, that works on tractors also, he immediately thought it was undersized for the tractor.

I was wondering if any one that has a Boomer 3045 or 3050 that use them during cold winters has had any problems starting their tractors?

Thanks

Apparently, there aren't many people out there that start their 3050's in rather cold without a block heater--and actually, there doesn't seem to be many around, in particular, Washington State.

Here are some reasons why I mentioned that the battery size is too small:

1. NH puts a 770 CCA battery on similar sized tractor, the Boomer 41 and 47 and the TC 45D comes with a group 24F battery which can put out 800 CCA, see above.
2. John Deere, I was told by a salesman, put 770 CCA batteries on their similar engine sized 4000 series tractors.
3. According to Pacific Power Batteries at: Pacific Power Batteries - About Automotive Batteries, "4-cylinder diesel engine, 700-800 CCA."
4. As I mentioned above "When I mentioned the group size that was in my tractor, to an ASE Certified Master Auto and (Heavy) Truck Tech, that works on tractors also, he immediately thought it was undersized for the tractor." In addition, this man has a degree in Automotive Technology and approximately 40 years of experience in the trade.
5. The same Tech mentioned above does not recommend a starting voltage less than 9.6 V for diesels and prefers it to be 10V or greater.
6. The minimum voltage I had was 9.2 V with a new fully charged battery. (It had been tested by the Shop Manager at New Holland.)
7. Interesting fact from:Get your car battery's starting power tested for any climate - Batteries Plus Bulbs Blog "According to the Battery Council International, diesel engines require 220% to 300% more current than their gasoline counterparts; winter starting requires 140% to 170% more current than the summer."

Also, since the engine has not been broken in yet, it will take a little more torque to turn it over so the issue is more noticeable with an engine that's not broken in yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
   / NH Boomer 3050 Battery Sized Too Small #32  
Apparently, there aren't many people out there that start their 3050's in rather cold without a block heater--and actually, there doesn't seem to be many around, in particular, Washington State.

1. NH puts a 770 CCA battery on similar sized tractor, the Boomer 41 and 47 and the TC 45D comes with a group 24F battery which can put out 800 CCA, see above.
2. John Deere, I was told by a salesman, put 770 CCA batteries on their similar engine sized 4000 series tractors.
3. According to Pacific Power Batteries at: Pacific Power Batteries - About Automotive Batteries, "4-cylinder diesel engine, 700-800 CCA."
4. As I mentioned above "When I mentioned the group size that was in my tractor, to an ASE Certified Master Auto and (Heavy) Truck Tech, that works on tractors also, he immediately thought it was undersized for the tractor." In addition, this man has a degree in Automotive Technology and approximately 40 years of experience in the trade.
5. The same Tech mentioned above does not recommend a starting voltage less than 9.6 V for diesels and prefers it to be 10V or greater.
6. The minimum voltage I had was 9.2 V with a new fully charged battery. (It had been tested by the Shop Manager at New Holland.)
7. Interesting fact from:Get your car battery's starting power tested for any climate - Batteries Plus Bulbs Blog "According to the Battery Council International, diesel engines require 220% to 300% more current than their gasoline counterparts; winter starting requires 140% to 170% more current than the summer."

Also, since the engine has not been broken in yet, it will take a little more torque to turn it over so the issue is more noticeable with an engine that's not broken in yet.

Not sure what your point is in restating what you originally posted? I get that an ASE diesel guy says this and that- which I've confirmed by various links citing documents that cover all the starting, charging, crank voltage requirements for diesels.

It's good to know that the battery you were given as a replacement for the sulfated battery was fully charged when you took possession of it.
BUT, now where are we with this situation? Have you removed the battery and done a load test on it to see if it passes or fails? You have not provided answers to the questions I posed earlier about readings at your battery, static, while cranking, at idle, etc. Without some more specific data how do you want to proceed?
Here's the bottom line from someone with vast experience with diesel engines.
Unless the manufacturer specified the incorrect size, group # and specific battery CCa and they are/were wrong, what can you do to change your situation in your climate. Not much as far as fitting a different battery in the space. So what's left to do is this: determine if the replacement battery is the best it can be- maybe enlist it in the Army!:shocked:
If it passes a load test, it's probably OK and not defective, but you won't know until it passes or fails.
If it fails replace it again under warranty. Sometimes brand new off the shelf batteries are NFG. Depends too on how long it's been sitting on the dealer shelf. Verify with the manufacturer's date code- stamped into the battery case.
I occasionally came across a defective, or marginal battery from off the shelf stock, but infrequently.
After the battery is ruled out completely, then check the cables, all connections to and from the starter, battery ends, etc. to verify none are the cause of excessive drawdown while cranking. AND verify there are no stray voltage leaks which can drain a battery over time. I doubt this being the case for you- since you don't say the battery dies when left to sit.
Verify no fuel issues, clogged filter(s), non-winterized diesel in use, etc.
Install an approved block heater, very carefully, (to make sure no damage occurs to the block during install).
Test voltage drop at starter while cranking- after all other battery verification is done.
Move south.:confused3:

Last edited by a moderator:
   / NH Boomer 3050 Battery Sized Too Small #33  
How large engine? I have used old car batteries on several old tractors, 60ah worked nice down to 0 C, and it had a 4,5l engine.

/ NH Boomer 3050 Battery Sized Too Small #34  

1. NH puts a 770 CCA battery on similar sized tractor, the Boomer 41 and 47 and the TC 4D comes with a group 24F battery which can put out 800 CCA, see above.

If we have to start this entire thread over again, do it without me.