Noise Canceling earphones

/ Noise Canceling earphones #31  
I tested a bunch of headsets for possible integration with a radio handset I had designed, and the tests included Bose and Audio Technical. They were included mostly as a comparative baseline against the industrial types that I was really interested in at the time. So, I tried them both side by side. I couldn't tell any difference in noise cancellation and the Bose were maybe a tiny bit richer in sound quality, but not enough to justify the big price difference. Also, I believe they spec out very nearly identically. Check the reviews, you'll find similar assessments.

The noisebusters were the best at noise cancellation and very comfortable and rugged, but were not the best for audiophile (or even close) music reproduction. For tractor applications, it's hard to really discern high fidelity audio anyway, unless you play it so loud that it defeats the purpose of protecting your eardrums. So, I would recommend the noisebusters as the best, lowest cost option if this is the only application they are used for.

Now, these assessments were not scientific. I did not measure sound levels or anything like that. Just my audible perception to the same kinds of noises: air compressor, circular saw, chain saw, tractor and PTO chipper/shredder combo, and to WMA encoded (128 Kb) rock, blues, country, and jazz music. I also sat next to someone on a plane using bose and I had my audio technicas. Told him my story and asked if I could compare; couldn't tell a difference wrt airplane noise either. He tried it and said basically the same thing.

All of the active noice cancelors seem to do a better job on low frequency noise, like that from motors and such. None of them were really great on the high end (circular saw). After the testing was over, I took the Audio Technicas and a co-worker took the Bose. We are both happy.

/ Noise Canceling earphones
To update I bought a pair of $40 Sony ear buds from Wal Mart. The kind that stick in the ear like era plugs. I tried the small and medium tips. Neither size seemed ideal for my ears. I tried using them while mowing with my deere mower and was disappointed with amount of mower noise I could hear. I am going to return them (15 day return poilcy) and try some of the other suggestions. Thanks for the responses.

/ Noise Canceling earphones #33  
Buck12,

Search on line for "noise cancelling Headphone Reviews". Read as much as you can to educate yourself on the options, pros and cons, and prices. Order on-line to save yourself the trouble. Then you'll only have to to do this one more time. Or just get the noisebusters, behind the head model doesn't interfere with hats. Very comfortable and very effective. I think they are like $150.

/ Noise Canceling earphones
Buck12,

Search on line for "noise cancelling Headphone Reviews". Read as much as you can to educate yourself on the options, pros and cons, and prices. Order on-line to save yourself the trouble. Then you'll only have to to do this one more time. Or just get the noisebusters, behind the head model doesn't interfere with hats. Very comfortable and very effective. I think they are like $150.

I would but I am too darn cheap.

/ Noise Canceling earphones #35  
I would but I am too darn cheap.

If so, I'd suggest any relatively nice (~$20) pair of in-ear (bud-type) earphones and then slap on a pair of over the head/headband, over the ear, earmuffs with at least a 25 NRR value.

/ Noise Canceling earphones #36  
I have a Bose QC2 headset that I always used when mowing. It does a fantastic job. I started letting my teenager use it while mowing and he no longer complains when I tell him to cut the grass (with the push mower.) My only complaint is that they get heavy after a while and warm in the summertime heat.

I recently had to replace the headset that came with my iphone. I bought the nicer one with the ear buds on it. I think it was 70 or 80 dollars. The ear buds do an excellent job of keeping the noise out. I really can't hear the tractor engine when I use them while bush hogging. The best part about them is that they have the Apple mic and volume control built right in so I can answer calls (or ignore them :)) without stopping what I'm doing.

Last edited:
   / Noise Canceling earphones #38  
I just bought a set of the John Deere noise canceling headphones through Home Depot online. I am very impressived with the quality, the extras, and the way they work. Cost was $89 plus tax and shipping = $104.

My buddy is a pilot and a nut for noise canceling 'phones. I can't wait to see what he thinks....these work better on the tractor than any of his expensive sets - some of which cost over $500!
rScotty

/ Noise Canceling earphones #39  
Just call me extravagant, my noise cancelling equipment came with an AC and heat and a stereo system and works pretty darn good. The $4500 price tag is a bit much but it also keeps the rain repelled and dust at bayalso. Lets see your Bose system tackle that job. Cant beat a nice cab for all the noise reduction and other niceties.

/ Noise Canceling earphones #40  
Just call me extravagant, my noise cancelling equipment came with an AC and heat and a stereo system and works pretty darn good. The $4500 price tag is a bit much but it also keeps the rain repelled and dust at bayalso. Lets see your Bose system tackle that job. Cant beat a nice cab for all the noise reduction and other niceties.
I like it, maybe I can get that on my next purchase...