non detergent 30 weight oil

/ non detergent 30 weight oil #1  

coufray

Tractor
farmall , John Deere
Hi

My friend has a 1950 case VAI tractor. On my old 1931 ford model a, which required non detergent 30 weight oil. I have 6 quarts left over. Can he use this on his tractor

/ non detergent 30 weight oil #2  
I’d use something newer, like a 10w-30 if it were me. It will be a detergent oil but moving ahead non detergent oil can be hard to find.

/ non detergent 30 weight oil #3  
Hi

My friend has a 1950 case VAI tractor. On my old 1931 ford model a, which required non detergent 30 weight oil. I have 6 quarts left over. Can he use this on his tractor
I don't think there will be any problems with using it. It's possible that the 30 nd, is what was recommended for the Case.

/ non detergent 30 weight oil #4  
If the Case has been running non detergent oil for its lifetime, I wouldn't hesitate to put the non detergent oil in it. If it has been running on detergent oil, I would not use the non detergent oil.

/ non detergent 30 weight oil #5  
Nondetergent oil is/was made for machines that don't have an oil filter. Particles and carbon would sink to the bottom of the pan and be drained out with the next change. Switching to a detergent oil will keep the junk in suspension and most likely cause a faster wear rate. It can also loosen the sludge in the bottom of the pan and mix that in too. It's better to stick with what was designed for the machine and change it more frequently.

Update: I can remember when ND-30 was $0.29 a quart. Valvoline still makes it at about $7 a quart.

Last edited:
   / non detergent 30 weight oil #6  
It's my understanding that detergent oil foams more than non-detergent. (Right?) At any rate, I have stayed with the manufacturer's recommendation. On a side note, I've found non-detergent harder to find, and as much or higher in price than detergent.

/ non detergent 30 weight oil #7  
My local Walmart always has this:

1710083920945.png

/ non detergent 30 weight oil #8  
Nondetergent oil is/was made for machines that don't have an oil filter. Particles and carbon would sink to the bottom of the pan and be drained out with the next change. Switching to a detergent oil will keep the junk in suspension and most likely cause a faster wear rate. It can also loosen the sludge in the bottom of the pan and mix that in too. It's better to stick with what was designed for the machine and change it more frequently.

Update: I can remember when ND-30 was $0.29 a quart. Valvoline still makes it at about $7 a quart.
The Autozone house brand is a lot cheaper. I use it 30 weight ND in my pressure washer crankcase.

/ non detergent 30 weight oil #10  
Weight often temp dependant when looking at old manuals.

As a rule when I was selling rebuilt Model A Ford motors the recommendation was modern detergent oil and adding a by-pass spin on filter...

On engines unknown the recommendation was non detergent 40 weight to avoid disturbing sludge.

Of course dropping the pan will give a better indication.

When the Model A was new it was 40 weight non detergent with 500 mile oil change intervals...