Nord-lock, Heico-Lock, Belleville LOCK WASHERS; Spiralock LOCK NUTS --- Any Good?

/ Nord-lock, Heico-Lock, Belleville LOCK WASHERS; Spiralock LOCK NUTS --- Any Good? #11  
   / Nord-lock, Heico-Lock, Belleville LOCK WASHERS; Spiralock LOCK NUTS --- Any Good?
Last edited:
   / Nord-lock, Heico-Lock, Belleville LOCK WASHERS; Spiralock LOCK NUTS --- Any Good? #13  
I would think a nylock nut would hold tight and probably the simplest option to try. Once they are torqued down they stay in place.

We used all those different types of washers at work too.

I use a spiral lock nut on the backside of a bolt run thru a threaded tinnerman clip nut on the saddlebag mounts for my motorcycle. On trips I had one bolt that continully vibrated loose until it would actually fall out. Always held good since and easy to remove.

/ Nord-lock, Heico-Lock, Belleville LOCK WASHERS; Spiralock LOCK NUTS --- Any Good?
I would think a nylock nut would hold tight and probably the simplest option to try. Once they are torqued down they stay in place.

According to my Howse supplier, axle nuts have to be repeatedly and regularly tightened until the entire disc gang assembly settles in. I am uncertain nylock nuts will remain secure after repeated tightenings, from my experience. I would prefer to experiment with all-metal lock nuts, partly because I want to lube axle threads with anti-seize compound.

I may just repeatedly tighten Howse factory setup, then switch to all-metal lock nuts after preliminary 6-8 field tightenings with a 16" long X 1-1/2" open/box wrench.

I am pretty certain I will buy Nord-Lock lock washers to use under whatever nuts I finalize on. Cheap insurance relative to repair. A belt and suspenders.

This is an instance of AN OUNCE OF PREVENTION IS WORTH A POUND OF CURE.

According to my Howse supplier, once the gangs have settled in and are tight, he has had only one, roughly treated, Howse DLHT 16822 disc harrow come in for repair. Some do come in for worn disc replacements.

We are blessed with rock-free, sand based soils in most parts of Florida; easy on discs.

Last edited:
   / Nord-lock, Heico-Lock, Belleville LOCK WASHERS; Spiralock LOCK NUTS --- Any Good? #15  
What is the difference between UNF and UNC?

Unified National Fine and Unified National Coarse. Insures interchange between USA, Canada & UK. (See World War Two history) Coarse thread is used for lower tensile strength materials (generally) Fine thread is higher strength (generally)

There are many other reasons for the different thread selection between UNC & UNF...

/ Nord-lock, Heico-Lock, Belleville LOCK WASHERS; Spiralock LOCK NUTS --- Any Good? #16  

I may just repeatedly tighten Howse factory setup, then switch to Nylock after 6-8 repeated tightenings.
When you remove the OEM nut, you will be starting all over with the Nylock. Either start with it or use something else. You can't progressively torque one nut on a bolt, then remove it and replace with a different nut and end up with identical clamp loading as obtained after multiple torquings of the original nut.

The thing to do with factory-new disc gang bolts is to leave them alone and use the disc. Your DIY strategy is nearly guaranteed to cause problems rather than prevent them. Any retailer of disc harrows would be very likely to disallow warranty claims relating to discs, spools, gang bolts or bearings if non-OEM hardware was substituted within the warranty period.
Put simply, you are asking for trouble and likely to find it.

When you remove the OEM nut, you will be starting all over with the Nylock. Either start with it or use something else. You can't progressively torque one nut on a bolt, then remove it and replace with a different nut and end up with identical clamp loading as obtained after multiple torquings of the original nut.

Your DIY strategy is nearly guaranteed to cause problems rather than prevent them.
Put simply, you are asking for trouble and likely to find it.

Thank you for the first part of your post.

Thank you for the second part too....but I am an adult and can handle it. I have been an early-adopter, experimenter all my life.

/ Nord-lock, Heico-Lock, Belleville LOCK WASHERS; Spiralock LOCK NUTS --- Any Good? #18  
Thank you for the first part of your post.

Thank you for the second part too....but I am an adult and can handle it. I have been an early-adopter, experimenter all my life.

That's fine so long as you experiment based on sound information.
Good Luck!

I would prefer to replace factory low-tech split-ring lock washers with some improved nut-locking hardware.

What about specialty lock washers? NORD-LOCK, BELLEVILLE, HEICO WEDGE LOCK?

Following LINK provides a 3 minute introduction to NORD-LOCK lock washers. Note the ag combine.

These are the authentic, made-in-Sweden Nord-Locks.

Nord-Lock Introduction - YouTube

Last edited:

Attachments

• IMG_0556.jpg
    IMG_0556.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 194