Nord-lock, Heico-Lock, Belleville LOCK WASHERS; Spiralock LOCK NUTS --- Any Good?

/ Nord-lock, Heico-Lock, Belleville LOCK WASHERS; Spiralock LOCK NUTS --- Any Good? #41  
Since this old thread got revived, how did the Swedish lock washers do?

Uffda, I vay, would like to know too. For sure, for sure.. :)

/ Nord-lock, Heico-Lock, Belleville LOCK WASHERS; Spiralock LOCK NUTS --- Any Good? #42  
I am seeking a way to keep four X 1" axle nuts tight on my factory-new Howse disc harrow.

I do not weld. I am considering Loc-Tite.

I would prefer to replace factory low-tech split-ring lock washers with some improved nut-locking hardware.

What about specialty lock washers? NORD-LOCK, BELLEVILLE, HEICO WEDGE LOCK.....others?

What about SPIRALOCK lock nuts? .....others?

Are any of these particularly suited for maintaining axle nuts TIGHT on a disc?

LINKS:

10 1" 25mm Nord Lock Vibration Proof Lock Washer | eBay

Fractional Hex Flange Nuts | Emhart Americas

One problem with self tightening nuts and all types of lock washers is the average person does not realize they are engineered for a one time use. Loosen one REPLACE IT! With a slug wrench you can easily over torque and ruin self tightening nuts like Stovers and/or the lock washers.

Ron

/ Nord-lock, Heico-Lock, Belleville LOCK WASHERS; Spiralock LOCK NUTS --- Any Good? #43  
If you are going to be so precise with your hardware requirements, I would recommend you get a torque wrench and a torque multiplier. This way you can tighten it to the correct specification. This will prevent from over stretching the axles, which would result in the fastener loosening again.

/ Nord-lock, Heico-Lock, Belleville LOCK WASHERS; Spiralock LOCK NUTS --- Any Good?
Since this old thread got revived, how did the Swedish lock washers do?

One problem with self tightening nuts and all types of lock washers is the average person does not realize they are engineered for a one time use. Loosen one REPLACE IT!

Swedish Nord-lock washers maintained tightness of Disc Harrow axle bolts for the one year I had the Howse Disc Harrow with 18" diameter pans. I tightened the nuts hand tight with the wrench, no cheater bar. The Nord-lock washers are actually two-part washers pressed together, I presume to maintain the serrations aligned correctly. I would consider Nord-locks one time use fasteners for critical applications, which would include maintaining tightness of Disc Harrow axle nuts.

I sold the $1,000 Howse after one year and bought a $2,200 Monroe Tufline 1820 with 20" pans, spaced 9" on the front, cutting gangs and 7" on the rear, smoothing gangs. The Tufline is Big Ag quality for compact tractors. Twice the money; twice the implement. All of the nuts on the Tufline include some type of fixture to keep nuts secure. Much easier to adjust than the Howse.

Last edited:
   / Nord-lock, Heico-Lock, Belleville LOCK WASHERS; Spiralock LOCK NUTS --- Any Good? #45  
Thanks. Good that they worked.