Northstar Generators---- Beware!!!

/ Northstar Generators---- Beware!!! #11  
grsthegreat said:
also i install lots of gensets, and i truly feel an automatic transfer switch is a waste of money.

Our power goes out all too often. I'm shopping for a generator and automatic transfer switch now. I would be fine with a manual start, manual transfer system if it was just me here, but my wife has no interest in starting a generator and operating a transfer switch.

Last summer the babysitter came to care for my daughter so a couple of friends, my wife, and I could get out to see a concert. We didn't get twenty minutes from the house when my cell phone rang and the babysitter reported that the power was out. Without power there's no cooking, water is limited to whatever happens to be in the pressure tank when the power failed, no water heater, etc. We turned around, I got out of the car, and my wife and friends headed back out to the concert while I stayed home and tended to the 5k portable generator. These are the kinds of situations where the automatic system shines. If I had one then, the babysitter would have thought that the power went out for a minute and came back on. She might have noticed the gray box out back humming, or maybe not, and I would have enjoyed the concert.

I guess it's all about deciding how much that convenience is worth to you.

/ Northstar Generators---- Beware!!! #12  
Ummm .... how about a freezer (or two) full of food ?

A freezer can keep food frozen for over 24 hours as long as no one opens the door. I know this to be true, as we have power outages here all the time. New freezers even longer.

/ Northstar Generators---- Beware!!! #13  
Our power goes out all too often. I'm shopping for a generator and automatic transfer switch now. I would be fine with a manual start, manual transfer system if it was just me here, but my wife has no interest in starting a generator and operating a transfer switch.

I guess it's all about deciding how much that convenience is worth to you.

ok... but dont complain to me when it burns all that fuel ...hehe. It depends on the size of the unit your getting also. To run wells and electric heat/waterheaters...your looking at a large unit.

/ Northstar Generators---- Beware!!! #14  
A freezer can keep food frozen for over 24 hours as long as no one opens the door.
So after 24 .... whadda ya figure - call all the neighbors and invite them over for a cookout/pic-a-nic ? :laughing:

ok... but dont complain to me when it burns all that fuel ...hehe.
Ok, I won't .... (we're on a 250 Mcf free allocation per year :D .... and we only use around 100 -115 Mcf per year to heat our home ;))

/ Northstar Generators---- Beware!!! #15  
I keep toying with the idea of getting a Kubota diesel generator. Don't have NG and propane trucks are not getting up my driveway in the winter so if we loose power for more than a couple of days I'd have to be switching to portable tanks. My current honda powered Generic has served me well but at 4500w it's just enough to turn the well pump on. Plus that engine running at 3600 rpm gets tiresome.

/ Northstar Generators---- Beware!!! #16  
So after 24 .... whadda ya figure - call all the neighbors and invite them over for a cookout/pic-a-nic ? :laughing:

Ok, I won't .... (we're on a 250 Mcf free allocation per year :D .... and we only use around 100 -115 Mcf per year to heat our home ;))

im confused, all i said was it didnt have to run for the 8 hours im at work. i can start it up when i get home. Ive been doing this for 15 years, and ive never lost any food yet.

/ Northstar Generators---- Beware!!! #17  
I keep toying with the idea of getting a Kubota diesel generator. Don't have NG and propane trucks are not getting up my driveway in the winter so if we loose power for more than a couple of days I'd have to be switching to portable tanks. My current honda powered Generic has served me well but at 4500w it's just enough to turn the well pump on. Plus that engine running at 3600 rpm gets tiresome.

yup, thats a problem. i have installed large generators capable of powering up an entire 200 amp service on some of the large lake houses here in Idaho. they all run on large diesel tanks, and you have to keep a path clear for them. these do empty a tank full of gas pretty fast. Some people put in 500 gal diesel tanks, but I'm not sure how long they would run on that size tank. never did the calcs.

/ Northstar Generators---- Beware!!! #18  
The secret is keeping the Freezer full to capacity and not opening the door and having it in a cooler area helps...

My friends were plagued with power outages and they would keep empty one gallon milk jugs and two liter soda bottles filled with water in the freezer is there was room.

They had both water and a cold source... power was out two days and the chest freezer and upright freezer had no problems...

/ Northstar Generators---- Beware!!! #19  
The secret is keeping the Freezer full to capacity and not opening the door and having it in a cooler area helps...

My friends were plagued with power outages and they would keep empty one gallon milk jugs and two liter soda bottles filled with water in the freezer is there was room.

They had both water and a cold source... power was out two days and the chest freezer and upright freezer had no problems...

good idea about the water. I have had mine without power for over 12 hours and i never noticed any difference in the frozen foods. they usually never go for less than 8 hours without power. A refer is a little harder to maintain, but its usually only milk, mayo etc that you need to worry about

/ Northstar Generators---- Beware!!! #20  

Keeping frozen bottles of water is always a good idea as a freezer is more efficient when it's full. And, like you said, if the power goes out a full freezer will take much longer to defrost.