Northstar Generators---- Beware!!!

/ Northstar Generators---- Beware!!! #21  
yup, thats a problem. i have installed large generators capable of powering up an entire 200 amp service on some of the large lake houses here in Idaho. they all run on large diesel tanks, and you have to keep a path clear for them. these do empty a tank full of gas pretty fast. Some people put in 500 gal diesel tanks, but I'm not sure how long they would run on that size tank. never did the calcs.

If I do get a diesel genset it would probably be either 10k or 13k. A 10k gen running at half load will only use about .4 gallons an hour. My loading is not that great. A few lights and tv at night, I have a wood stove for heat and oil fired furnace that heats the DW, a well pump, and if summer a small room AC unit.

/ Northstar Generators---- Beware!!! #22  
grsthegreat said:
ok... but dont complain to me when it burns all that fuel ...hehe. It depends on the size of the unit your getting also. To run wells and electric heat/waterheaters...your looking at a large unit.

I need the well. Water heater and furnace are propane fired, but both need power for blowers.

I like the idea of water jugs in the freezer.

/ Northstar Generators---- Beware!!! #23  
In 1977, I visited my Dad, I noticed both his freezers had quite a bit of open space in them. I filled a bunch of soda bottles with water and put in them. A little later, he asked if I had done this and why. I told him about a full freezer being better etc. He like the idea so much he told everyone he knew about it. Side benefit of always having ice and water was great too. Have fun and stay safe.....

/ Northstar Generators---- Beware!!! #24  
Freezers stay cold a long time, particularly if you throw a blanket or 2 over them. Even without the blanket, my chest freezer stays frozen 24 hours or more. I run my Kubota 9kw diesel generator about 4 hours in the evening, and then again in the morning if I am trying to conserve fuel, but at less than .4 gal/hour and 50 gallons in a drum, I really don't need to worry about prolonged outages. Here is a link to info on the unit:

Kubota 9,875 Watt Diesel Generator

Remote start from the house and a manual transfer switch is all the convenience I need.

Why fool around with Northern junk?

/ Northstar Generators---- Beware!!! #25  
After I got it home, and tried to power my small welder, the same issue arose. It would rev up and down and voltage fluctuated wildly.

Not uncommon. I bought a Powermate (also rebranded as Husky) w/ Subaru engine 5kW generator last year and had a similar RPM hunting issue when the generator was under light load. Most of my friends' generators hunt during some period in the load curve. Governor "hunting" is often caused by a lean condition - a lean condition creates a motor response lag, time, effectively introducing a second pole in the closed-loop frequency response, creating instability. Blame the effin' EPA for mandating too-low emission standards so that the manufacturers have to jet their engines too lean for proper throttle response.

I richened up the jetting in my generator, which uses standard carb jets (via dirtbike shop) and eliminated the hunting problem.

JayC

/ Northstar Generators---- Beware!!! #26  
my chest freezer remains cold long after my upright.. and the chest freezer is older.. say.. 1993 era.. whereas the upright is a 2000 model.

soundguy

/ Northstar Generators---- Beware!!! #27  
You are tractor owners and as such at this time you should at least consider the possibility of a three point PTO tractor generator. I do not have much of a need, my generator is "fired up" only twice in five years. Diesel idleing of your tractor is probably the cheepest for low amp/watt power.

I do not have automatic generator start and "fudge" on issues that may involve safety. I have a very, very small diaode light with very thin wires above the main disconnect, cover fuse panel removed then put back. This is not safe but I do it because I believe I understand how to do it safe. You may not do it safe so do not do it. The very thin wires are stripped about 4" then curled and pushed on in a recess of the lock bolt on one leg above the dissconnect. This allowes me to know when the power company turns back on the power. The very tiny dioade light, ultra thin plastic wires give me a heads up.

I wish all main circuit box pannels had the dioade light as standard on the front of all new electricial boxes.

Who ammoung you want's to get a patient and sell this idea to the fuse box mfg? The idea is yours for free.----Fuseboxer

Last edited:
   / Northstar Generators---- Beware!!! #28  
You are tractor owners and as such at this time you should at least consider the possibility of a three point PTO tractor generator.

I mentioned a pto generastor back on post # 6.

it's the only genny I have and works great. 12.5kw rated.

soundguy

/ Northstar Generators---- Beware!!! #29  
im confused, all i said was it didnt have to run for the 8 hours im at work. i can start it up when i get home. Ive been doing this for 15 years, and ive never lost any food yet.
Fair enough :D

/ Northstar Generators---- Beware!!! #30  
You are tractor owners and as such at this time you should at least consider the possibility of a three point PTO tractor generator. I do not have much of a need, my generator is "fired up" only twice in five years. Diesel idleing of your tractor is probably the cheepest for low amp/watt power.

I do not have automatic generator start and "fudge" on issues that may involve safety. I have a very, very small diaode light with very thin wires above the main disconnect, cover fuse panel removed then put back. This is not safe but I do it because I believe I understand how to do it safe. You may not do it safe so do not do it. The very thin wires are stripped about 4" then curled and pushed on in a recess of the lock bolt on one leg above the dissconnect. This allowes me to know when the power company turns back on the power. The very tiny dioade light, ultra thin plastic wires give me a heads up.

I wish all main circuit box pannels had the dioade light as standard on the front of all new electricial boxes.

Who ammoung you want's to get a patient and sell this idea to the fuse box mfg? The idea is your for free.----Fuseboxer

If I loose power during a bad snow storm I could need both the tractor for clearing snow and the generator for the house.