Nortrac Dozer

/ Nortrac Dozer
Here are the pictures, the first shows the welds.Could the tachometer with hour meter be original? The bezel appears a little different from the other gauges.

Attachments

• 100_0748.jpg
    100_0748.jpg
    438.9 KB · Views: 1,889
  • 100_0752.JPG
    100_0752.JPG
    634.5 KB · Views: 920
  • 100_0755.JPG
    100_0755.JPG
    503 KB · Views: 593
  • 100_0754.JPG
    100_0754.JPG
    933.3 KB · Views: 1,256
Last edited:
   / Nortrac Dozer #12  
The tach appears to be OEM, looks just like mine. The tach can still function perfectly for r/m, but the hour meter can be bad. One way to check is to turn on the key switch and wait to se if the meter advances.
What I find disturbing is the scuff marks high up on the engine screens and sheet metal. This suggests gross abuse, pushing at a hard angle with the blade raised, which is probably attributable to the wishbone failure. One must remember that these are not a Cat D8, and must be operated accordingly. From what I can see the track shoes look good.

Nice pics. :thumbsup:

As for the alternator, the OEM has only a 14 amp output. Most likely it has a bad voltage regulator, or there is a bad connection to the field. I upgraded my alternator to a 78 amp Delco 12Si since I run an electric winch. Not hard to do.

/ Nortrac Dozer #13  
From the looks of the welding on the wishbone, you can expect another problem in the same area again in the future. You can't weld a stressed joint like that without proper pre- and post-heating and correctly designed gussets. All that welding has accomplished is to shift the failure point a few millimeters away at this point. Not a total failure - it can be done right the next time and be just fine. Just be aware that whoever did that job wasn't a real welder or heavy equipment repair person.

I agree with Bob, it looks as though the machine was abused a bit, though not grossly. Probably owned by someone not familiar with the limits of a small dozer who tried to to do too much with it.

/ Nortrac Dozer #15  
I would still say 7K is too high, it does look like it was pushed pretty hard. The hrs could be correct that looks OEM. How well did it run? Were there any issue's with turning?

One thing I learned early on when running a dozer get yourself lined up to make straight passes, trying to turn while making passes(pushing a load) IMO is a no no. I also agree with the others, some times folks buy a dozer and feel it is invincible no matter the size. These machines are strong and can do a boat load of work but just keep in mind, baby steps. I have pushed mine further then what it should have been, usually when I was tired or in a hurry, trust me it does not pay.

Bob I did check out the deere rock guards and think you may be onto something. For now I have taken my inner guards and added another 10". I'm still waiting on parts so once everything is back together I'll see how it works.

/ Nortrac Dozer #16  
I'll raise $1,000. :thumbsup:

That meant $5,000, but since the owner can't produce any evidence of preventive maintenance, like when was the oil & filter changed last, coolant drained and flushed, who prepped the dozer from new, etc., that knocks it back down to $4,000. I know I feel more secure buying equipment that has a PM track record. Responsible ownership.

/ Nortrac Dozer #17  
Bob I did check out the deere rock guards and think you may be onto something. For now I have taken my inner guards and added another 10". I'm still waiting on parts so once everything is back together I'll see how it works.
The main thing here is to prevent rocks from falling down through the track frames and onto the tracks. These rocks are carried up the backside of the track, around the sprocket, and fall through the track frames.

/ Nortrac Dozer #18  
The main thing here is to prevent rocks from falling down through the track frames and onto the tracks. These rocks are carried up the backside of the track, around the sprocket, and fall through the track frames.

The rocks that I'm having issue's with are not falling through they're much to big. What happened was the rock got caught between the sprocket and final trans housing. It wedged it hard enough to break all 8 bolts of the trans housing pan and break the axle. It more or less road on the inside of the track and just came around. I do see what you're writting about the falling rocks, so far those have not been a major issue.

Last edited:
   / Nortrac Dozer
The engine fired right up,no smoke,it sounded good. I don't believe the owner used the compression release. He ran it for a short time, it turned on a dime.I think the scuff marks on the engine cowling came from the front cylinders, he must have removed them to do the welding and it appears he has them crossed.Looking at the first picture they are turned in, should be turned out.There is alot of slop on these cylinders, like the bushings weren't put back in, I presume bushings are used,are they available? I sure appreciate all ya'lls time and advice on this. Also this machine was supposedly bought new from N/T by the father in law, now the son in law has it, one family ownership, several users.

Mike

/ Nortrac Dozer #20  
There is alot of slop on these cylinders, like the bushings weren't put back in, I presume bushings are used,are they available?

Mike45tx, I have the manual infront of me (but don't have my glasses) from what I can see there are NO bushing just the pins. My manual is for a newer machine but I don't believe they are all that different. I have made bushing for worn out cylinders so it can be done if your'e trying to sqeeze out that extra amount of life left.

While they had it running did the cylinders hit the cowling?