Not pretty, but...

/ Not pretty, but...
OK, last hook is done, some paint sprayed on...

Decided to stick with the gas welder. It came out much better than the other two, here's a pic of the "bad" side. Practice does help!

While I had the torch out, I threw on the cutting tip to notch a couple of bars I made up to hold the ROPs in a sort of half-way position, so it would stay out of the way of the 3PH while not having to raise it, lower it, raise it again, etc... (Did I mention I crunched the garage door opener last week with the ROPs up?:ashamed:)

Seems to work quite well! Holds the ROPs at about a 40-degree angle.

Thanks again to all for the tips & advice!:thumbsup:

Attachments

• last hook 6:12:11.JPG
    last hook 6:12:11.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 251
  • All 3 hooks!.JPG
    All 3 hooks!.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 194
  • DSC03498.JPG
    DSC03498.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 177
  • DSC03499.JPG
    DSC03499.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 168
  • DSC03500.JPG
    DSC03500.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 179
   / Not pretty, but...
"You're satisfied with that?"

To quote Arlo Guthrie, "I knew that it wasn't the best song I ever wrote..."

I think so.... though I'll admit it doesn't look it, it did melt up & into the hook.

(Why- does it look that bad?:()

And here's a question for you welders... I was wondering if at least part of my problem with cratering was a result of the force of the gas flow out the tip. I used the biggest one I had, but that was a Linde #15. I had to really crank up the flow to get enough heat. Would a larger tip have worked better? (Same heat, but lower gas velocity?) It seemed that the puddle was often blown away by the jet of flame.

/ Not pretty, but... #14  
I was wondering if at least part of my problem with cratering was a result of the force of the gas flow out the tip.

That could be, I know a few times I've O/A welded with a large tip and I had that happen.
In my opinion you're on the upper limits of O/A welding!

Personally I wouldn't trust that hook with much of a load, if you were closer I'd re-weld it for you for free! But then again you may not trust my welding! ;)

/ Not pretty, but... #15  
I've borrowed a sp125 in the past and I think it's up to the job of welding those hooks.

/ Not pretty, but...
I probably spent less than ten minutes of actual welding time on each one, but did end up using about 5 feet if 3/32" filler rod. But keep in mind- I'm slow!:laughing:

I think one of the reasons the last pic (last hook) looks so flaky is that the only spray paint I had around was Semi-Gloss-- too shiny!:p

That Linde #15 I used has a hole in the tip that's about 1/16" --maybe. I think it may have been a bit small for the job- any thoughts?

Attachments

• Linde #15 tip.JPG
    Linde #15 tip.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 117
   / Not pretty, but... #18  
O/A welding is hard. If I were you I would find someone with a mig to make a couple of passes. I always try to think "whats the worst that could happen if it fails"
Did you make the welds in one pass or mutiple.

One thing I realized is the more I had to grind the better welder I became :).

/ Not pretty, but...
More interesting thoughts, thanks again for the tips & suggestions!

jamtuc, most of the welds I did --slowly-- in one pass, though there were a couple of spots I went back to try to fill in better. I had limited success in that. I was very carefu to ensure that metal was melting as I added filler, both the hook and the bucket surface.

I love the quote! I don't yet even own a grinder, but that's been on my list for a while. Any suggestions there for a not-too-often-used machine? One of those cheap imports with the right-angle wheel? Is that what could be used to get into a 90-degree joint like on my hooks?