Not pretty, but...

/ Not pretty, but... #21  
For a grinder you are looking for something with the most amps.

I have several in various diameters, and not being a stellar weldor, use them often. You can really lean into the ones with the higher amp rating and get the sparks going like the Fourth of July.

/ Not pretty, but... #22  
A tip i read in a welding book use a fuel pump vacuum gauge on the tip to set the preasure not the gauge . A lot of heave welding was done with OA in the past. I would grind the welds down and try another pass. HF has a grinder on sale for less than $ 20 that will work for what you need. I use them hard and they hold up pretty good.

/ Not pretty, but... #23  
I love the quote! I don't yet even own a grinder, but that's been on my list for a while. Any suggestions there for a not-too-often-used machine? One of those cheap imports with the right-angle wheel? Is that what could be used to get into a 90-degree joint like on my hooks?

If you're going to weld, you need a grinder. I have a Bosch 4-1/2" angle grinder I got for free because I bought an even more expensive Bosch tool. I wish I had a couple more so I don't have to change from grinding wheel to wire brush to cutting wheel.

A 7" and 9" will probably remove metal quicker; but they will be pricier and so will the wheels, etc you put on it. Also a larger grinder will be harder to control and wear you out quicker.

Just make sure that whatever you put on it is rated at or preferably above the grinder's max RPM.

/ Not pretty, but...
Thanks! I see Father's Day is coming up.....:D

/ Not pretty, but... #25  
I have one of the $15 Harbor Freight 4 1/2 inchers, and it works ok, but just be aware it doesnt have bearings , it has bushings, and probably wont last as long as some of the better grinders, It works fine tho. I have heard that some people have taken out the bushing,s and replaced them with some good bearings for very little money. I have 3 of that size grinders of various brands, and could use another one. It is just so much faster and convienant to not have to change wheels all the time.

James K0UA

/ Not pretty, but... #26  
So O/A welding is suitable for structural work??

I think of it more for sheet metal, light gauge etc. never would of thought of O/A for install a chain grab hook.

I have a O/A set up for cutting, and I even have the brazing torch head but have never even tried it. My buddy borrowed it years ago to do some auto panels on a restoration and left me with a couple large packages of brazing rod with white flux on them. wonder if they are still good?

JB.

/ Not pretty, but... #27  
I would like to ask a dummy type question.
If this is thred stealing I am sorry but I was wondering. In high school I
did a "little" brazing but I have never heard of using a O/A torch to weld steel I have a torch and was gonna try brazing again some day but what type of filler rod do you use for steel? also I have a brazing tip I assume this would not work for steel,...:confused2: or am I wrong?

/ Not pretty, but...
I sure ain't no expert, but I do know you can melt steel with O/A. If that's possible, you can definitely weld.

When I took my class a year+ ago I concentrated on that, as that's what I have, and got to be fair at it, with no filler. Those hooks, however, are angled at the base and require filler.

If you can get everything to the melting point and add the filler, it works. I was given some "plain" mild steel rods for that use, and they seem to have worked OK.

The trick (as I understand it) is to get both pieces at the melting point (3 pieces, if you include filler) and allow the steel to flow together, forming a monolithic bond.

At least, that's my understanding- in practice, well, it just takes practice:cool:.... I'm sure not saying my joints are great- but I think they'll hold.

/ Not pretty, but... #29  
Looks good enugh for the job.

/ Not pretty, but... #30  
what type of filler rod do you use for steel? also I have a brazing tip I assume this would not work for steel,...:confused2: or am I wrong?

Jeff you can use rebar tie wire, or steel coat hangers. Or your local welding supply will have O/A filler rod. Yes your brazing tip will work to weld steel.