Now THAT's Stuck!

/ Now THAT's Stuck! #21  
OK, the scene at 3:32 shows the tractor pulling out the truck, but using a winch on the truck mounted up behind the cab. As the truck is slowly moving backwards, the rear end is sinking deeper and the more the tractor pulls, the deeper it is getting. At some point that rear end is gonna become a fulcrum and the truck flips over. This was just stupid. (Now I'll return and watch what really happens there... :) )

I was wondering why they didn't have a pulley on the back of the frame to run the cable through so that it would lift the back of the truck as they were pulling backwards...

Aaron Z

/ Now THAT's Stuck! #23  
I just ran across this and it kind of goes along with the "ENORMOUSLY! bad day" theme....[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY7lBw28bEM&feature=related]Quarry's Crash - YouTube[/ame]

/ Now THAT's Stuck! #24  
How much HP and what does the that BIG JD weigh that was pulling everything out? Amazing the power it had!

I didn't see the model number, but probably in the range of 30,000-40,000lbs and somewhere between 300-500hp.

The reason it did well was the excellent flotation it had with the big duals they were running. The other equipment broke through the crust and became instantly worthless.

At the end of the video (where the big JD is hooked to the sprayer) is a demonstration of good 'snatch strap' use, as was discussed in the thread about pulling out stuck tractors. A little bit of momentum and inertia can do a whole lot more than a steady pull with a winch.

In all my time farming (including a few years in the Midwest), that might be the biggest mess I've seen yet. :thumbsup:

/ Now THAT's Stuck! #25  
The reason it did well was the excellent flotation it had with the big duals they were running. The other equipment broke through the crust and became instantly worthless.

Agreed, it was that huge area of contact that let him pull and not become ensnared himself.

Also, for an excavator to not be able to extract itself, that is some equipment 'eating' mud. The fact that they have tracks, can pick themselves up to a certain extent and pivot their tracks to better footing, and lastly use the bucket and arm to pull itself, make for the best odds of self extraction. None of which helped the largest. The mini could float on whatever was miring down everything else.

I wondered why they didn't try to retrace the sprayers original path instead of breaking new ground.