NX5010 - FEL is stuck in the fully raised position - How to lower

/ NX5010 - FEL is stuck in the fully raised position - How to lower #1  

Bigfish50

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti NX5010 and 54 Massey Ferguson TO35
Hi All,
Tractor has about 440 hours on it, is always kept inside when not in use, and seems the joystick cables are somewhat crusted or caked with rust or something similar. My joystick decided to blow up when my FEL was fully extended over a pile of brush. So, I've taken apart the joystick and have found that both cables are broken... The roll/dump cable is broken off clean at the nut that goes into the cable end/ball at the joystick end (that one could be my fault when I was trying to loosen the cable). The raise/lower FEL cable appears to be broken down at the FEL controller that is bolted to the tractor housing. Anyhow, I have decided that replacing the cables are going to be too big a job for me to take on and I want to trailer it to the dealer, but I need to get the FEL lowered down to a foot or so off the ground. I'd appreciate any ideas on how best to get this done without making too much of a mess since the cables are now useless.

Thanks in Advance,
Bigfish50

/ NX5010 - FEL is stuck in the fully raised position - How to lower #2  
You can manually move the spools in the directional valve that the cables connect to. This would be the neatest method and also allow movement of the tractor on and off the trailer.

/ NX5010 - FEL is stuck in the fully raised position - How to lower
Thanks. If I understand what you're saying correctly I think i've already tried that step. I can actuate the curl/roll function by pushing or pulling on the cable. the raise/lower cable will raise when pushed in but will not lower when pulled out. And the other end of the cables are really hard to get to for manual operation :-(

Thanks,
Bigfish

/ NX5010 - FEL is stuck in the fully raised position - How to lower #4  
You need to access the cable ends where they attach to the hydraulic directional valve. At the valve you can remove the cable and then operate the spool manually.

If you can’t access the valve then next option is open a fitting and let oil drain out of the lift circuit.

/ NX5010 - FEL is stuck in the fully raised position - How to lower #5  
BE GOD DAMN careful opening lines. The loader will come down until it hits something it can't move, hopefully the ground and not you:)

Best,

ed

/ NX5010 - FEL is stuck in the fully raised position - How to lower
Ok thanks for clarifying oldnslo. That's kinda what I thought but didn't want to get messy if I didn't have to. And thanks for the feedback dirttoys. I always try to be extra careful around any thing mechanical and especially when parts of it are above my head :)

Thanks,
Bigfish50

/ NX5010 - FEL is stuck in the fully raised position - How to lower #7  
Disconnect the cable from the actual valve and move it with pliers.

/ NX5010 - FEL is stuck in the fully raised position - How to lower #8  
   / NX5010 - FEL is stuck in the fully raised position - How to lower #9  
Hi All,
Tractor has about 440 hours on it, is always kept inside when not in use, and seems the joystick cables are somewhat crusted or caked with rust or something similar. My joystick decided to blow up when my FEL was fully extended over a pile of brush. So, I've taken apart the joystick and have found that both cables are broken... The roll/dump cable is broken off clean at the nut that goes into the cable end/ball at the joystick end (that one could be my fault when I was trying to loosen the cable). The raise/lower FEL cable appears to be broken down at the FEL controller that is bolted to the tractor housing. Anyhow, I have decided that replacing the cables are going to be too big a job for me to take on and I want to trailer it to the dealer, but I need to get the FEL lowered down to a foot or so off the ground. I'd appreciate any ideas on how best to get this done without making too much of a mess since the cables are now useless.

Thanks in Advance,
Bigfish50
My curl cable broke the same as yours with about the same amount of hours on the tractor. It broke in that same spot. I took the cable out and welded it. Around 900+ hours it snapped off again. This time I replaced it. I bought 2 new cables after the first one broke.

/ NX5010 - FEL is stuck in the fully raised position - How to lower #10  
Cables do rust and break, but FEL control valves, particularly the cups on the valve that enclose the spool springs, can get moisture in them and freeze up the valve, making the joystick feel like the cables are rusted up.
If the valve itself seems frozen, look here.