oat hay Baling issues

/ oat hay Baling issues
And of the stuff I bale. Yesterday one was at 22% that was a bale in the shade for a lot of the average bales when I pick them the strings pull about 8 inched off the bale

/ oat hay Baling issues #12  
12-15% moisture is where I want to bale the hay. I still think 7% hay should fine to sq bale. Are bales coming out of chamber even or banana shaped? In my youth my Dad baled 1000's of bales of oat hay with a 214WS

/ oat hay Baling issues #13  
Hmmm, ~20% is where we stop and let it dry longer. Like Tx Jim, we shoot for 12-15% moisture. Sounds almost like your bales aren't being held back well enough by the bale chamber, but if they are 80-90# bales, that is too heavy...

Aaron Z

/ oat hay Baling issues
Yah the higher moisture ones get to get fed first. All the old timers here say just let them sweat for 6 months. Bales come out perfect looking. When you cut the strings and compare length it hasn't been more than a quarter inch difference.

/ oat hay Baling issues #15  
And of the stuff I bale. Yesterday one was at 22% that was a bale in the shade for a lot of the average bales when I pick them the strings pull about 8 inched off the bale

I can't see how string will pull 8"s from bale when picked up if bales weigh anywhere close to 80#s. How long are the bales?

/ oat hay Baling issues
They are 3 feet. I'm going to weigh a few and try some pictures to clear it up.. on another note. This Baled has the compressor rods on the pick-up that just go straight back I see in the manual they have some that come forward then curve down and back up towards the back like an s shape. If I get/make some like that will that help pick up the hay? It seems that it likes to throw a lot of the hay forward unless its roped on the windrow. Also thanks for all the time spent with me. This is my 3rd season haying @ 30 acres. Last year was better had none of these problems but had better rain.

/ oat hay Baling issues #17  
Yes the curved compressor rods help hold the hay against the pickup teeth and strippers better than the straight comp rods. I can't remember seeing a 214 with straight comp rods. Photo's would help. This 224 that I found on the internet has flat compressors.

Attachments

• 3E13Gd3H25L75Gf5F3d46b6994df863f21c15.jpg
    3E13Gd3H25L75Gf5F3d46b6994df863f21c15.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 151
   / oat hay Baling issues #18  
Let 'em "sweat" for 6 months or so... You'll have mold that won't quit! If you've got 80's now and 90's in several weeks... mold in 2 weeks - darn near guaranteed - with 22%> bales.

AKfish

/ oat hay Baling issues #19  
I can't believed they haven't dried out if cut a week and half ago. That is a long time

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ oat hay Baling issues
Ak yah I feed the higher moisture bale as soon as I bring them home. As far as getting any more rain it is probably over till October. Gotta love this desert ish weather here in Ramona.