Obsolete LP tanks

/ Obsolete LP tanks #1  

beenthere

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD_4x2_Gator, JD_4300, JD_425, JD_455 AWS, added JD_455, JD_110, JD_X485(sold)
Had to buy new LP tanks for my gas grill to get the OPD (Overfill Protection Device). Any recycling for the old tanks? Can they be retrofit to take new OPD valves? Appreciate any help available. Thanks.

/ Obsolete LP tanks #2  
beenthere

I bought a new tank at Home Depot for $25.

My Bar-B-Q tank ran out the other day and I haven't filled the new one yet so I took it to Albertson's grocery store and exchanged my old unfillable tank for a FULL one with OPD valve for $21! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

Now I'm wondering if I can refill the tank from the grocery store? Refills run about $8 here. /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif

/ Obsolete LP tanks #3  
I run into that problem also. At a propane dealer they wanted almost 40.00 to change to the new valve with a full tank of fuel. They wanted 37.00 for a new tank and fuel. I went to the local Speedway gas station that had exchange refilled tanks. Cost me 19.00 for and exchange tank.

/ Obsolete LP tanks #4  
They must get a he11 of a deal on their tanks to make any money. I've traded in some nasty old tanks and got new ones and I know a bunch of people that do it. Sounds like the start of a new ethics thread...I kind of feel bad when I do that but, man!, talk about leaving yourself wide open!

/ Obsolete LP tanks #5  
In my part of the country, new OPD tanks are costing $23- each in pallet lots. Propane costs the dealer 75.9 cents a gallon. There are 4 gallons of propane in a 20# tank.
Dealers can refill non OPD tanks if they are used for welding, forklifte, or propane driven machines like floor buffers, yet most dealers refuse to fill tanks because they make more money selling OPD tanks. Many if not most OPD tanks won't deliver enough gas to keep an engine running on a floor buffer, but propane dealers don't care, they are making big $$$ selling new tanks.
NFPA section 58 was written with the exclusions for good reason, feel free to tell the dealer the tank is for your welding torch or floor buffer and insist he fill it. If he refuses, haul his [censored] to small claims court.
OPD valves are pure government BULLSNOT, given to us by the AlGore idiots who hate internal combustion.

/ Obsolete LP tanks #6  
Just don't do what I did. I tossed my extra two bar b que tanks when my supplier let me know they couldn't be filled anymore. Then I found out they would exchange them for me for seventeen dollars, full. Of course it only cost nine dollars to fill an OPD tank but eight bucks for the exchange I felt was more than fair.

As I understand it the big reason for the mandated change was folks were getting hurt when overfilled tanks were exploding.

/ Obsolete LP tanks #7  
<font color=blue>OPD valves are pure government BULLSNOT, given to us by the AlGore idiots who hate internal combustion.</font color=blue>

My my franz, I think you need a chill pill. You're being extremely critical of probably the most popular group in the United States if not the world today.

That whole valve thing isn't the brain child of Al no matter how he tries to claim it or fools want to blame him for it.

It seems the firefighters (yup, the heroes with the flag on the stamp) got tired of picking up the pieces when over filled propane tanks turned outdoor bar b ques into massacres.

btw it's been an observation of mine that when you're close enough to be smeared with bullsnot it's prudent to say "nice cow, I love the color you've chosen for those horns."

/ Obsolete LP tanks #8  
I've got to move out of New England. Cost me $4 to dispose of old tank & $40 for filled new one. At least the burgers still taste good.

/ Obsolete LP tanks #9  
It costs me 40 Canadian dollars a year to rent my 100# tank. The company even repaints once a year for me. I use it for my range and BBQ and it gets filled twice a year for about 20 bucks a shot. They fill it on some kind of schedule, so it's not empty when they deliver.

It also cost me about 100$ to get the quick release valve and 20' of hose for the grill.

/ Obsolete LP tanks #10  
I just wait for hazmat day and take over old tanks to the drop off point. Locally I can get a new tank filled for about $40.