Obsolete LP tanks

/ Obsolete LP tanks #11  
yeah ... and I can tell you where those new tanks come from. I was dumb enough to ask my wife to get the tank refilled (hey, I'm from Canada, what can I say ... when I left I was getting them filled for $4)
She took my brand-new tank (1 filling) and brought back this old piece of banged up crap ... said they refused to fill, only do the exchanges.
It's what I call a "rip-off racket". Under the guise of safety (we inspect every tank and check it out before we fill it) ... they get to collect that inspection fee ... and then inspect - what - 1% that are getting close to the expiry date (10 years!). I certainly don't mind free-enterprise ... but when the government steps in and protects these crooks (see also: mortuaries, utilities, phone companies) ....
I'm in the process of getting an adaptor to run my grill off the house propane line as I absolutely refuse to allow these crooks to rip me off again!
Ask me how I feel about this /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ Obsolete LP tanks #12  
When I bought my mini torch set they did the same thing, took my nice new tanks and swapped them for some beat up old ones. Then, when I brought in one I got from them that was out of date they wanted an inspection fee. Now I just take them to my A/C supply, they swap 'em, no questions asked.

/ Obsolete LP tanks #13  
around here, walmart has a sign on their exchange tanks, and only charge @ $4 more to exchange a tank with the old valve compared to one with the new type..i don't remember how much they charge for the full tank, but i "think" it was less than $10...i'll look more closely next time..anyway, they are the cheapest around here.
heehaw

/ Obsolete LP tanks #14  
overfilled tanks were exploding.

wroughtn_harv
I have never seen one "explode" and don't care to either! I have however observed the pressure relief valve bleed off excess pressure from tanks sitting in direct sunlight. Sure draws the flies. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Obsolete LP tanks #15  
Harv old boy, you been standin in the bright sun without yer hat on too long again. NFPA 58 was revised for OPD valves because stupid [censored] at propane fill stations were NOT using the training they were required to have, and overfilling some cylinders.
What does happen when a cylinder is overfilled is liquid can come out the valve and thru the regulator, which will then pass thru the burner orphace and result in a hellatious ignition, if you can get it to light.
NFPA 58 revised, is just another case of the government, (read that overregulating [censored]) creating another set of assinine rules to theoreticly protect people (Darwin award candidates) who don't obey rules anyhow. The end result of NFPA 58, revised, will be nothing more than wasted money and a windfall for tank manufacturers, mostly Mexican, and propane exchange cylinder outfits who are retrofitting non OPD tanks as fast as they can get their hands on them with Mexican made valves. This represents a major cost savings to cylinder exchange vendors.
This assinine regulation has been known to the propane industry for 3 years, and yet many propane appliance manufacturers gleefully sold soon to be obsolete tanks to unknowing buyers right up thru March 2002.
The only positive result I can see from this regulation is a huge supply of free portable air tanks for FREE. They sure as [censored] are a lot better than used Freon cans.
Firemen, well, they are usually the least qualified people to solve any situation they arrive at, but they do have nice trucks and plenty of tools they don't know how to use. They are also incapable of taking instruction on how to solve problems. The first incontrovertable rule of firefighting is No matter how long you take to get to a fire or what you do when you get there, the fire will eventually go out.

/ Obsolete LP tanks #16  
<font color=blue>Edited by Harv (07/06/02 02:37 AM)</font color=blue>/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Franz I guess I should have used "poof" instead of "explode" when describing what happens when the leaking propane ignites.

I wonder how many houses on fire you've run into instead out of lately??????????????

/ Obsolete LP tanks #17  
chill pill, indeed.

/ Obsolete LP tanks #18  
I just sold a USED camper that has old tanks. The new buyers wanted me to replace the tanks since they can't get them filled...........YEAH RIGHT. They got a heck of a deal as it is, don't think I'm gonna put out $100 or so for new tanks and gas too..../w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ Obsolete LP tanks #19  
FYI. Despite the name, NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) is not a government agency. It is not associated with nor controlled by the government. It is an independent organization consisting of mostly volunteers who make the decisions on what goes into the codes. Each code is maintained by a committee of 20 to 25 non-NFPA employees who work in a related industry. The committees are made up of a balance of volunteer members from manufacturers, end-users, insurance, etc. so that no one segment can control the direction of the codes. Most changes to the codes are actually suggested by the public from people who work related to that industry and recognize the need for additions or changes to the requirements. The committees meet periodically to review, debate, and vote on any proposed changes. Changes must be approved by a majority of the members.
As you can guess, I am on one of these committees and know how they work./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Obsolete LP tanks #20  
So you're suggesting that recognized experts in their field suggested the need for the law to the powers that be and it wasn't a Gorspiracy????????

Somebody needs to talk to Mr Gore!!!/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif