Off-Grid Living

/ Off-Grid Living
pic 1
only 4-11watt CFL's to this amount of light in the kitchen.

pic 2
Rec-room looking north, open to below living room. Half wall to keep upstairs noise down for TV downstairs. Notice the cat walk along the north wall to access high wall for mounts/pictures.

pic 3
Finally graded front yard for lawn this past spring. Notice the windows are only 3' x 3' for minimum heat loss but still give ample light.

pic 4
We got a little bit of snow so unless I shovel the natural light isn't so great all the time.

Attachments

• P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    271 KB · Views: 265
  • P2080012.JPG
    P2080012.JPG
    261.8 KB · Views: 243
  • Front lawn 1.JPG
    Front lawn 1.JPG
    280.2 KB · Views: 234
  • P1290002.JPG
    P1290002.JPG
    283.7 KB · Views: 196
   / Off-Grid Living #23  
Good looking cabinet doors... Like that style.

/ Off-Grid Living #24  
This looks awesome! We doing an off-grid cabin and I just got the plans back from the engineer.

/ Off-Grid Living #25  
To say I'm impressed would be an understatement. I admire people with talent, especially those that combine that talent with a lot of hard work and ingenuity to accomplish what you have. You have a right to be proud...it's beautiful.

/ Off-Grid Living #26  
We should be installing 10- 235watt solar panels and the Outback inverter/charge controller in early Spring along with 6 more of the same batteries.

There is a glut of solar panels in Ontario right now. You could easily save 30~50% on the cost of the panels if you start scanning Craigslist and Kijiji. I just bought 8 235W panels at $1.50 / W.

Ottawa.kijiji.ca

No duty on Green renewables at the border.

/ Off-Grid Living #27  
I'd look at the 2v L16 cells a lot more umph in their package.
I have 8 Trojan 6v L16 series and paralleled at my cabin and when they go I plan on gong to one string of 2v ones

I have all solar parts including batteries came from from Back Woods solar my well pump came from then too grunfus SQflex at 450ft deep (cheaper than local)

tom

/ Off-Grid Living
Tom, my cost on the 6v L16's was around 375. each, and are 475 amp/hrs. I haven't even put a strain on them yet.
What do the 2V go for and how many amp/hours? Are they the same size & weight as the L16's?

Thanks for the info tcart. I'll check craigslist...

/ Off-Grid Living #29  
Tom, my cost on the 6v L16's was around 375. each, and are 475 amp/hrs. I haven't even put a strain on them yet.
What do the 2V go for and how many amp/hours? Are they the same size & weight as the L16's?

Thanks for the info tcart. I'll check craigslist...

The reason is to not parallel the sets makes a better bank I ordered the battery's from backwoods and picked them up at a local Trojan warehouse.

1100 ah

battery info

note we use our place on about 2 weekends a month and my wife stays up there most of the summer.
The only load on all the time is well pump we have to pump to a cistern because of the low yield well it pumps 2-3 hr a day till the cistern is full.

tom