Off-Grid Living

/ Off-Grid Living #31  
No power for a tank heater when you're off grid.

I still like to find a solar tank heater.

Maybe a solar well pump too! :D

David

/ Off-Grid Living
Yes, you really need the solar [ or wind-mill ] pump.

/ Off-Grid Living #34  
Is this off-grid living by choice or are you waiting for power to come to your area?

I couldn't live without my milling machines, lathes, welders, etc. Not to mention the big screen, microwave, wine cooler, etc.

I lived off the grid in a camping trailer for two years while putting my house up. That was more than enough. Haven't been camping since and that was 28 years ago.

/ Off-Grid Living #35  
Is this off-grid living by choice or are you waiting for power to come to your area?

I couldn't live without my milling machines, lathes, welders, etc. Not to mention the big screen, microwave, wine cooler, etc.

I lived off the grid in a camping trailer for two years while putting my house up. That was more than enough. Haven't been camping since and that was 28 years ago.

3 outback inverters can be wired to provide 3 phase 120/208
Rob (3RRL) could have done it on his system but was too late to change it

tom

/ Off-Grid Living

When the power company wants $18K up front to run wire to 8 existing poles (and they said it may be more) I decided to invest 1/2 to 2/3 of that into my own place. This will also add $30K to $50K more value to the place.
Conservation and power-management gets us by pretty well.

/ Off-Grid Living #37  
What an accomplishment! Hats off to you sir! 10 years of designing, planing, and finally implementation. Do/did you have a wife during all of this, any children? My struggle is keeping my role as a father/spouse/provider, and implementing my dreams. Good news is, as the kids get a bit older I'm finding some cohesion between the two worlds. :)

Once again outstanding work!!

/ Off-Grid Living #38  
I was looking at building a retirement home 1200' past the last pole... we got the electric company to come out and give us an estimate of how mush that would cost.

Answer was that it would be free and if we wanted under ground that it would be cost of underground minus cost of overhead... which is very doable :thumbsup:

Wife and I had a bet, I had over 20k... her under :( still giving her back-rubs to pay off the bet. :D

/ Off-Grid Living #39  
MadJack,

You have described and done exactly what I dream (and I suspect many others) of doing. I tip my hat to you. FANTASTIC Job!