Oh oh, Iowa Farms Flat Tooth bar

/ Oh oh, Iowa Farms Flat Tooth bar #11  
I wouldn't be too worried about this anyway. If you don't do welding yourself, you can find a welder to put the teeth back on when needed. Nothing high tech here. When I replaced my 7300 with the 3300, I went from a 4' bucket to a 5'. I used a piece of grader blade to extend the bar and got an extra tooth from Iowa Farm Supply to add on. I've already put LOTS of pressure on the added tooth and no problems yet.

/ Oh oh, Iowa Farms Flat Tooth bar
These are not the best picks, it was raining out so I didn't clean up the bar, but I hope this helps. It looks like they got good penetration on the tooth, but not the bar. I would have thought the reverse since the tooth is allot thicker metal. You can see where the weld stayed with the tooth and didn't penetrate the bar very good.

P3306219.jpg

P3306221.jpg

P3306224.jpg

P3306226.jpg

/ Oh oh, Iowa Farms Flat Tooth bar #13  
Maybe the welder didn't clean the bar well enough.

I have to say my Markham toothbar has been bombproof.

/ Oh oh, Iowa Farms Flat Tooth bar #14  
Yep, no penetration on the bar. Maybe a new welding employee?

That's the problem with wire feed and an inexperienced welding employee (or a welding employee that has his mind elsewhere), it will make a weld that is pretty but not strong. That's one reason I prefer stick welding on thicker metal, I can tell what's going on with the melt puddle. That tooth can easily be put back on by a decent welder.

That is also one reason I like the other type of tooth bar, each of the teeth on my tooth bar have a hook molded in that hooks under the cutting edge of the bucket. IMO, it makes the tooth bar much more durable plus it helps reinforce the cutting edge to help prevent bending. When back dragging, I just curl the bucket and use the back edge of the bucket to drag smooth.

/ Oh oh, Iowa Farms Flat Tooth bar #15  
I am still a novice at welding, but maybe not enough amps? wrong wire? cold wash welding?

Anyway you want to slice it, it just means you need to grind off the old welds and reweld it if you want to use it right away.

On the other hand, hopefully iowa co. might send you a replacement bar so they can inspect the old one since the other teeth might be the same way. Ill pray for ya.:thumbsup:

I would have thought the weld would have stayed on the bar instead of sticking with the tooth itself after it came off. Seems like they got better penetration on the tooth which is odd. I was going to weld them back on, but I lost one of the 2 teeth, plus it's only a month old.

They didn't say anything about sending the old one back, but if they don't want it, I'll fix it, just need to find the other tooth although it's probably buried somewhere. My thought is to preheat the tooth and maybe even the bar with a torch prior to welding it back to the bar to help with the penetration.

/ Oh oh, Iowa Farms Flat Tooth bar #17  
Classic case of never welded to begin with. Wire welder not set nearly hot enough. I could have that tooth back on in minutes with my stick machine.
I am very suprised that it lasted as long as it did.

James K0UA

They delivered my replacement WR Long Toothbar on Friday. Thanks WR Long, that was fast and reputable!!!

The welds on the new toothbar teeth look a heck of allot beefier compared to the first one. Only time will tell, but the company did take care of me and I appreciate that. :thumbsup:

/ Oh oh, Iowa Farms Flat Tooth bar #19  
This is another Iowa Farms toothbar post about the W. R. Long toothbar. My wife bought me a flat toothbar for our Kubota MX5100 with the LA 844 loader and the 6' heavy duty roundback bucket. We did this via the internet and emails. Our salesperson was Priscilla. She advised me that there would be no warranty on a flat toothbar over 60" other than the quality of the materials and workmanship. Sure enough the first time that I really used it a weld gave way on one of the teeth. I emailed Priscilla about it and she said she would get back with me. That was on the 30th of September and I still have not had a reply. I took it into my local machine shop and they welded back on for $15. Not a bad price, but simply an aggravation and a pain in the *&@. I have read the posts about their welds and was not surprised and I knew that a flat toothbar would not have the structural strength of a standard toothbar. However, I do a lot of back dragging and I decided that it was worth the risk. I can't say that I am sorry that I made this decision, but I cannot recommend them for someone that does not have access to a competent welder that works for a reasonable price.

/ Oh oh, Iowa Farms Flat Tooth bar #20  
I am resurrecting this thread as I am presently shopping for a toothbar for my B2320 and am confused. This thread seems to be say Iowa Farms and WR Long are the same, but what I am finding is flat toothbars @ WR Long and regular toothbars at Iowa Farm Equipment. :confused2:

I am really leaning toward the flat toothbar from WR Long......comments?