Oil filter wrench for D130 mower?

/ Oil filter wrench for D130 mower? #21  
The pliers I bought yesterday definitely created a deeper indentation into the filter. So what? This is an old filter I am going to throw out anyway. Why would I care that the filter is crushed by the pliers? I can understand why I would care on the way on, but as per instructions I only hand tighten on the way on. On the way off, the only reason I don't just jam a screwdriver through the filter to get more leverage is because of the mess that makes. What am I missing? Thanks for any info.

i've crushed filters that distorted the bas and then made then make an oily mess.. the crushed fitler had less volume.. then when the base witht he oring distorted.. that displaced oil went everywhere.

thus my question.

as to the 'who cares' .. that would be me.

if the question emotionally bothered you.. you should have skipped it and not have answered.

/ Oil filter wrench for D130 mower? #22  
have you had any probs with it crushing filters?

Wrenches don't crush filters, people crush filters. ;) Of course, I'm poking fun at you, but it is the operator and not the wrench that crushes filters. My answer is no. I have never crushed nor distorted a filter. The old metal band strap filter wrenches would sometimes crush a filter near the pivot point, but even my HST filter which is supposed to be very tight has never caused me any problems using the plier style wrench. Of course, the HST filter is made to withstand up to 200 PSI, so it is probably made of thicker gage metal than the average engine oil filter or hydraulic suction filter. This is just my experience and past performance is no guarantee of future results.:)

/ Oil filter wrench for D130 mower? #23  
for a loong time IU've been using a strap wrench made from a seatbelt and piece of sqaure tubing that accepts a half inck ratchet drive. I love it.

was looking at those filter pliers.. wondering.. :) I don';t like the band type wrenches anymore as that is what I have crushed a few with..

/ Oil filter wrench for D130 mower?
I picked up a wrench similar to what Jim recommended (from Amazon, no HF around here). Haven't had a chance to use it, but I'll bet I can search an hour for it when it's needed next. :D

/ Oil filter wrench for D130 mower? #25  
I picked up a wrench similar to what Jim recommended (from Amazon, no HF around here). Haven't had a chance to use it, but I'll bet I can search an hour for it when it's needed next. :D

How many times has that happened over the years. If your like me, you got tools you haven't even used yet, not because of opportunity, but because you can't find the dang thing when you need it.

:laughing: Yep...a whole bunch of 'em. Whenever I clean out my shop and/or tool trailer (not often :D), I'm a bit embarrassed at all the "copies" of stuff I've bought over the years when I couldn't find something. :duh:

/ Oil filter wrench for D130 mower? #27  
I had issues last weekend with a stuck filter on my JD750. Punctured it trying to use a Craftsman ratcheting filter wrench. The wrench stripped out and oil spilled out. I finally got the filter off using a strap wrench, but that was crushing the filter and I thought it wasn't going to work.

I was looking for a better solution and I found that JD makes a cap style filter wrench in a couple sizes. From the design, it looks like there's no way it will crush a filter and it only costs $5 bucks. I ordered one and will try that next time.

Here's a link to the part.

John Deere 3-inch Cap Style Filter Wrench - TY26640

:duh: That's just what I needed. :laughing: Thanks for the link, I'll see how my channellock ones work, but keep this one in mind.