Old gas and gas+oil (50:1) mix - Disposal?

/ Old gas and gas+oil (50:1) mix - Disposal? #21  
An EXTREMELY bad idea!

Gasoline fumes burn readily. Many people have been burned by using gasoline as a fire starter.

I use it in my brass gasoline soldering torch passed down to me from my Grandfather... see a lot of them at flea markets.

Then again, my Sunset Western Garden book recommends "Stale" gasoline as for weed control.

Last edited:
   / Old gas and gas+oil (50:1) mix - Disposal? #22  
One other thing to mention when using any flammable liquid to start a fire, always cap your fuel carrier tightly and move it far from the pile before igniting. Dont want that to catch fire also but if it does dont mess with it, just let it burn itself out where it sets if if is not in your house or shop that is. Worst thing is to kick it over etc and spread gas or fuel everywhere.

/ Old gas and gas+oil (50:1) mix - Disposal? #23  
I use it in my brass gasoline soldering torch passed down to me from my Grandfather... see a lot of them at flea markets.

Then again, my Sunset Western Garden book recommends "Stale" gasoline as for weed control.

gasoline blow torch.. now that brings back memories.

I think I got one kicking around in the back of the shop.

always been afraid of actually using it.. :)

soundguy

/ Old gas and gas+oil (50:1) mix - Disposal? #24  
Heated O2 sensors on your car are somewhat forgiving..But they can be KILLED by excessive oil burning and or Silicone gasket sealant. ..But whats $59.00 to $120.00 a piece ??

/ Old gas and gas+oil (50:1) mix - Disposal? #25  
they probbaly don't have cats to deal with though.. curious.. do they have 02 sensors?

soundguy

Newer ones do, say 2010 and newer.

Chris

/ Old gas and gas+oil (50:1) mix - Disposal? #26  
Yeah......oil and catback systems don't mix well. When piston rings and valve stem seals start to wear out, the excessive oil in the combustion process tends to foul up the honeycomb in the catalytic converter.

I would bet that heated O2 sensors also would not like the oil, but I have never been willing to try it! ;)

Tell me about it. I have replace 3 cats on GM products that burned oil like crazy. My last Saturn burned 1 qt every 600 miles. Started doing it at 35,000 miles or so and I sold it at 130,000 miles. Ran like a top but was hard on the cat and sensors. I replace each twice.

Chris

/ Old gas and gas+oil (50:1) mix - Disposal? #27  
my buddy has one.. doin ghte same.. that's why I asked..

soundguy

/ Old gas and gas+oil (50:1) mix - Disposal? #28  
I agree that mixing old gasoline , and 2 stroke mixtures into large amounts of fresh gas is probably ok . There's a limit to how old the gas can be, however, before I'll mix it in with fresh gas. I have gas that's 10 years old, and I'm reluctant to use it for anything. My state does accept old gas at our recycle stations a couple of times a year, but you have to give them your gas cans too ! And, you can't legally transport the old gas to the recycle station in improper containers, so they get you coming and going. And, of course, all outdoor burning is also now illegal , except for recreational campfires, so if we try to burn off old gas and make a lot of smoke in the process, the fire department tends to show up and start asking questions. I did call a local auto junk yard, and asked them what they do with their old gasoline. They said they would get back to me on that question, but of course they never did. I suspect they just pour it into a big pit in their back lot. I'm surprised that commercial furnaces designed to burn gasoline for winter heat are not common by now. There's a whole lot of fuel free for the taking. In the laboratory where I used to work, we had large tanks where we stored excess gasoline that contained various experimental additives. Once a year, the plant staff would take the gasoline out to the " burning grounds" . We usually had about 10,000 gallons a year of such scrap gas ! The year before I retired, I managed to find a company to buy the scrap gas for one dollar a gallon. I don't know what they did with it .

/ Old gas and gas+oil (50:1) mix - Disposal? #29  
The wrecking yard near me reclaims the fuel and has a water separator and filter system so they can run it in their trucks...

My old copy of Western Gardens recommends gasoline to kill weeks in the cracks and joint of concrete walks...

The book is from the 1950's...

Last edited:
   / Old gas and gas+oil (50:1) mix - Disposal? #30  
and now it's an epa fine and jail time.. :)