Old tractor recommendations

/ Old tractor recommendations #11  
I have $6000 in an old left-for-dead 1956 Ferguson TO35.

My wife still teases me about my original "Oh, about $1000" estimate. :)

/ Old tractor recommendations #12  
Get an 860 / 861 / ford 4000 either 4 cyl or 3 cyl... ( heck.. a 3000 be fine too ).

All those will swing a 5 or 6' hog. lots of tranny options on all the 800/801/3000/4000 seres.. so be specific in what you look for. Can probably lay your hands on one that I mentioned in the 2500-4000$ range for a good runner. the 8xx/4000 will be in the high 40's pto hp range... with the 3000 being the little broter of the group.. yet still a very capable mowing machine.

soundguy

valleydweller1 said:
As little as possible. Something cheap and reliable; 8n/9n's are plentiful but I'm not sure they'll mow as much as I'd like.

I'd like to keep the total price under $3k if possible.

Greg

/ Old tractor recommendations #13  
$3000 won't get you too far. Ferguson 30/35, Ford hundred series, AC WD-45, IH 404/424, some of the Fiat made Olivers, and a few more. Forget anything green and yellow. Throw another $1000 on the table and the choices get a lot better.

/ Old tractor recommendations #14  
valleydweller1 said:
Hi all,

Speaking long-term, I'm in the market for an older gas-powered tractor that can swing a 5-6' brush hog to keep my field mowed down. It's the kind of thing that I'll keep my eyes open for until I find the "right one".

Any suggestions on what model/models to keep my eyes open for?

Greg
Not sure where you are in the valley but I'd take a look on Craigslist. 200 listings under tractor in Portland & 87 in Salem. Would also suggest you take a look in the Capital Press and I'd not overlook checking with some of the local auction yards. I know the Woodburn auction yard has a number of tractors for sale plus getting close to tome for spring sales at auction yards.

/ Old tractor recommendations #15  
I would echo what alot of the others have said.....
One thing you want to remember as has been stated, live PTO.
Alot of the older machines had it available BUT it was an option or available only on the deluxe model.
Like with the MF135 just because it's a 135 doesn't mean it will have live PTO.
It may or it may not, gotta check it out.
Be careful of JD 1010's as well as 2010's and a couple other JD's.
Basically if it's green and yellow and cheap, there is a reason.
If I find something to buy usually the first thing I do is search the net and see if they are any good.

BTI

/ Old tractor recommendations #16  
BTI said:
I would echo what alot of the others have said.....
One thing you want to remember as has been stated, live PTO.
Alot of the older machines had it available BUT it was an option or available only on the deluxe model.
Like with the MF135 just because it's a 135 doesn't mean it will have live PTO.
It may or it may not, gotta check it out.
Be careful of JD 1010's as well as 2010's and a couple other JD's.
Basically if it's green and yellow and cheap, there is a reason.
If I find something to buy usually the first thing I do is search the net and see if they are any good.

BTI

1010 Deere's weren't bad little tractors. They got a bad rap because of their resemblence to the 2010. And 2010 gassers weren't all that bad either. The problem was the 2010 DIESEL. It had a 4-cylinder engine where the cylinder bores were essentially 2 pairs cast together. They didn't cool very well, resulting in poor engine life. The 2010 was in production from 1961 through mid 1965. By 1963, Deere had remedied the problem. So it's only the early 2010's that were plagued. If you find one still running today, VERY likely it's either a late production model OR it's been retrofit with newer design engine. The first batch didn't make it this far.

Still, there's better buys in a tractor that age and size. People do like that green paint.

/ Old tractor recommendations #17  
Forgot to mention.. check with local dealers.. lotsa times you see trades on lots...

If you go ford and need live pto.. if it is a 3-digit X00/X01 model.. look for *6* in the model number.

Soundguy

/ Old tractor recommendations #18  
Thanks for straightening me up FWJ

BTI

/ Old tractor recommendations
Soundguy said:
Forgot to mention.. check with local dealers.. lotsa times you see trades on lots...

If you go ford and need live pto.. if it is a 3-digit X00/X01 model.. look for *6* in the model number.

Soundguy

Ok, so what is a "Live PTO"? What are the other types?

Greg

/ Old tractor recommendations #20  
A live PTO will allow for the PTO to continue to turn with the clutch depressed, usually to the first stop, and will not allow the power to continue to the drive wheels. A old Ford 8N, for example is a non-live PTO. Lets say you are using a 5' Bush Hog on a 8N and you push in the clutch the energy stored in the flywheel of the Bush Hog will transfer power back to the tractor continuing to drive the tractors wheels even though the clutch is depressed all the way. This can be a problem if you need to stop in a hurry. If you were to press the clutch in during a panic stop it may drive you another 30 feet. There are ways around this but for the most part you should get a LIVE PTO. Hopefully I have not confused you and maybe someone else will elaborate some on this topic or clear it up.

Chris