OldGuyNewTractor

/ OldGuyNewTractor #11  
Welcome, hmhall77. There are some nice folks on TBN and an incredible body of knowledge to learn from. The cab models you're looking at are really in two distinct categories... small and large. If you do some tire-kicking at a dealer lot, you'll quickly see the difference between the B models and the L models. The L's are much larger, with more weight, lifting and pulling ability. Don't know what your place looks like or will need, but if you've got a bunch of land clearing work ahead, the bigger ones would be preferable. The L models lift much more with the loader so you can better handle dirt, logs, stumps, etc. The smaller B models are great for more routine work such as mowing, driveways, gardens, etc. and can still do some heavier work, only in smaller bites. I always figured they were pretty much ideal for small acreages.

Think carefully about the backhoe for a couple of reasons. First, it's awkward using a backhoe on a cab tractor, because you have to climb down from the backhoe seat and then walk around and get in the cab every time you have to reposition the tractor when digging... which is usually every 4-6 feet from what I've found... and then go back and get on the backhoe seat to do some more digging. For an old galoot like me, that's a lot of jumping around. Secondly, backhoe attachments aren't cheap and if you have occasional projects, you're usually money ahead to rent a backhoe or mini excavator when needed. That said, I've found having a backhoe has more than paid for itself for my use.

/ OldGuyNewTractor #12  
Welcome. I had a Kubota L2900 with a backhoe and I used it a lot and it worked pretty good for what it was. I would not get another tractor mounted backhoe for several reasons. 1) They are expensive, 2) They take awhile to mount and can require some muscle to do it, 3) The do I really want to put the BH on for this little job question 4) When you have a hose leak inside the boom it is nightmarish to replace the hoses in the tiny interior, and an octopus with strong fingers would help. 5) Dollar-wise you are ahead with just renting a small trackhoe or a full size backhoe and you don't have to worry about maintenance or storage. I am a big fan of Kubotas and have had great service from them over the years. If you are going to use the loader extensively consider one with HST instead of a geared transmission. I like the R4 tires for loader work and prefer them to the AG's. They don't offer as much traction, but they don't cleat as badly. They also have stronger sidewalls for heavy loader work. Is there some particular reason you want a flail mower? They are very expensive. You can get a nice finishing mower and a brush cutter for close to what a single flail mower would cost. Have fun and enjoy the process attend a farm machinery show if possible and see what is out there. Sometimes you can wrangle a good deal at the show, but buy local for service after the sale. I have had 2 good dealers over the last 30 years and they are what convinced me to stay with Kubota although I have had very little service required. You can get insurance with your purchase your Kubota and it is not that expensive. I bent the quick attach on my front loader and they replaced it under their insurance. Saved me over $2,000. Get the largest tractor you can afford and justify to yourself and your significant other if applicable,