Ominous noise in bx front end

/ Ominous noise in bx front end #1  

frogpond

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D
My bx25d, with 1500 hours, has started making a rhythmic squeaking noise, when in 4wd, and louder in reverse than forward. It sometimes becomes more of a clack, like something is catching. It speeds up in relation to the movement of the tractor, and is not present when the tractor is standing still with the engine running.

I have checked the fluid level in the front axle, and it's full. I took off the bxpanded protector shield, and looked for sticks etc, but there's nothing. I sprayed white lithium grease on both u joints of the front drive shaft, and that seemed to help, but after a few minutes, the noise returned.

The only recent change I have made is the installation of a larger fuel filter kit on the left side, outside the frame, just in front of the big torque tube. I have checked the rerouted fuel hoses (mostly in split loom), and nothing appears to be catching or chafing.

Any diagnostic suggestions are greatly appreciated.

/ Ominous noise in bx front end #2  
On my 2200 I've had the u joints wear out a few times in 4500 hours. Also broke the mounting bracket by the second u joints a few times until I reinforced it enough to stay put for last 2500 hours. I've been hard on the little guy for 20+ years. Both of those will give clicking sounds.

/ Ominous noise in bx front end #3  
On my 2200 I've had the u joints wear out a few times in 4500 hours. Also broke the mounting bracket by the second u joints a few times until I reinforced it enough to stay put for last 2500 hours. I've been hard on the little guy for 20+ years. Both of those will give clicking sounds.
I tend to think Eagle is right -- check the u-joint on the drive shaft running to front axle. Better get that fixed before it does collateral damage.

/ Ominous noise in bx front end
Thank you, guys. Since a grease spray on the u joints helped temporarily, you may be right on . I don't see any grease nipples or other way of lubricating them. How do I get the existing ones off? Is it difficult?

/ Ominous noise in bx front end #5  
For the bottom just remove the 2 pins (one on each shaft) lift the front of the tractor with the loader and it will come off. Just slides on splines. Install new reinstall pins easy peasy.

No you can grease or rebuild these joints. All sealed bearing and a wear item.

/ Ominous noise in bx front end #6  
My bx23 (2003) started making squeaking noises I ignored until I saw the front end mounting bracket had been loose for what must have been quiet a while as it actually bent the flat steel plate. I hammered it back as straight as I could, tightened back down the bracket holding the front end assembly to the frame. Noise went away was happy to see how much better the steering was lol.
Careful under the tractor if you are depending solely on the loader to hold it up while your under there.

Eagle1, that sounds good. I guess I might as well replace the aft u joint at the same time. Is it the same procedure?

Rich bx, if I understand you, are you referring to something else, which holds the front axle assembly on the frame?

/ Ominous noise in bx front end #8  
You can the rear is bit harder, mine have a double roll pin in one end sometimes take a bit of effort to reinstall. I seem to have run through more fronts than the rear. The is less motion and on the rear and the drive shaft slides in and out on the rear joint. No pin on front side of that joint it allows for the shaft to adjust travel lenght.
If you want the BX23 service manual let me know and drop it online and post a link.

/ Ominous noise in bx front end #9  
I'm recalling other threads on Bx front drive shaft U joints. It's worth a search.

Thank you, Eagle 1, I would indeed appreciate a link to the service manual. I think my bx25d is, in fact, a 2360 with a backhoe and subframe.