Ominous noise in bx front end

/ Ominous noise in bx front end
Well, I have ordered a replacement front u joint from Messick's. Let's see if that does the job. I also ordered a new plastic cover for that joint . The original was destroyed a few years ago, and I figured that as long as I am going to take the area apart, I might as well put a new cover on. It doesn't seem to do anything, but what the heck...

/ Ominous noise in bx front end #13  
Cover keeps tall grass from wadding up in the joint which can cause failure, if you do extended bush hogging with your BX. I know that one from experience, but have not had a cover on it in 15 years because it gets destroyed almost instantly around here.

/ Ominous noise in bx front end #14  
Careful under the tractor if you are depending solely on the loader to hold it up while your under there.

“DO NOT GO UNDER the tractor if you are depending solely on the loader to hold it up while your under thereis an even better policy to follow.

/ Ominous noise in bx front end #15  
True but you don't have to go under the tractor to change the joint just need room to let the front axle drop to release the shaft. If you jack or prop up the front axle the shaft will NOT come out. Well it can be done but it takes some creative geometry to make it work.

/ Ominous noise in bx front end #16  
Cover keeps tall grass from wadding up in the joint which can cause failure, if you do extended bush hogging with your BX. I know that one from experience, but have not had a cover on it in 15 years because it gets destroyed almost instantly around here.

It should also keep tall grass away from the front axle input shaft seal - but didn't on my BX. Killed the seal. This was just after repairing the wiring harness. Tall grass had wrapped the drive shaft and somehow snagged the wiring. Ripped it out. Installed the BroTek plates after that one.

I made this quick-and-dirty Rube Goldberg guard. So far, so good...

Z.

FrontPlate.JPG

I don't have a bush hog... But I do get into tall grass and brush. I don't seem to have snagged stuff in the joint or shaft, however. That plastic cover is way too fragile. If I were more ambitious, I would fabricate something stronger. Even heavy plastic plumbing pipe would be better. And if it were split, then held together with big hose clamps, it could be installed without detaching the u joint. Or maybe use a piece of fat flexible hose...
I appreciate the hint about letting the front axle move. When I replaced the tie rod boots, I jacked up the frame, and then added jack stands. I imagine I'll do the same on this job, after the parts arrive.

Oh yeah! I didn't look closely. Excellent! It looks like you have the "custom" pipe enclosing the stock guard, right?

And hi, Zoltan! I see that we're almost neighbors. My wife and I live in Seattle weekdays (although I work in Tacoma), but the tractor is at our weekend place northeast of Snohomish.