Ominous noise in bx front end

/ Ominous noise in bx front end #21  
That's right. Trying to remember all the details... Slot/slit at the top. Cut the back to allow for the shaft angle and movement - and the existing "guard". IIRC there's bolt head or something on the front casting so a small hole for that. Also another small drain hole.

Took longer to puzzle it out than to make it. By pure luck the pipe ID was an exact fit over the axle drive shaft boss.

[edit to add] Howdy neighbor :) I used to spend my work days in Seattle. Retired a few years back so now I spend my days tending a few acres on the rock and at Freshwater Bay west of Port Angeles.

Z.

Last edited:
   / Ominous noise in bx front end
Well, I replaced the front u joint today, and I would like to thank all of you for the great advice. The two parts of the joint were flopping around, and on one of them, pieces of the casting had broken off. It was a pretty simple job. I installed a new stock plastic guard, and I intend to make a better one like Zoltan's when I have time.
I got the parts from Messick's, and they were, as usual, quick. And they sent the right stuff.

/ Ominous noise in bx front end
So far, after putting 2 more hours on the machine, it has cured the problem. I looked at the rear u joint, but there was minimal play, and no visible damage, so I didn't mess with it. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

/ Ominous noise in bx front end #24  
The rear seems to last until the bearing or bracket behind it fail, could have been abuse in my case. The fronts take all the forces the front axle encounters.