Ontario Winters

/ Ontario Winters #1  

peter_vii

Silver Member
Tractor
B2320N, JD5083E
Hi all,

What would be a good tractor (HP?) for snow removal in Northern Ontario?
Say 2-3 ft of wet snow and a 1000' driveway?

I'm thinking 30-50HP, but is that enough? too much?

Thanks,
Peter

/ Ontario Winters #2  
30hp should be plenty. With that amount of snow you will probably want a snowblower. 5-6ft snowblower will work. Front snowblower or rear snowblower and loader.

But you should answer a couple more questions.

What else do you want to do with it?
How much property?
How much do you want to spend?
How long do you want to spend moving snow?

/ Ontario Winters #3  
30hp should be plenty. With that amount of snow you will probably want a snowblower. 5-6ft snowblower will work. Front snowblower or rear snowblower and loader.

How much property?
Under 5 minutes.:D:D:D

/ Ontario Winters #4  
Hi,
I am north of Montreal in a snow belt area and maintain 3 drives all in the 1000' + size.

I use a 20 HP gear drive with a 60" rear blower and a 60" front plow blade.

Very rarely do I spend more than 1 hr per drive (usually about 30mins), sure a 16-18" dumping is not as fast as I need to take 1/2 wide passes otherwise I am bogging the engine down.
Actually your ears tell you if you are 'biting' too much as you soon learn to notice teh RPS kinda dropping as well as the snow does not blow quite as far as usual.

I found that my front mounted plow blade makes for real fast work in the lesser snow falls as I then only need one blower pass.

A lot depends on what other uses you will make of your tractor as well. Do you need a lot of HP? or is compact manouverability more essential?

I did own a much larger tractor/blower/loader (deere 510)and would never go back there as all I could do was straight line work and finishing off with a walk behind.

With my CUT I can turn 360 deg anywhere on my drive if need be.

Just make sure your blower is about 6-10" wider than your rear wheels.

/ Ontario Winters

How much property?

1. garden, fence work, plant trees, landscaping work, move dirt, stones etc.
2. 30 ac workable, 80 ac total
3. 10-18K with loader
4. 1 hr, 3 ft of snow on 1000'x16' driveway

I'll probably need another, bigger tractor for plowing/planting/moving the 30 ac of fields, but I was wondering if I can get away with 30-32 HP for the
above landscaping/garden/snow removal work.

/ Ontario Winters #6  
1. garden, fence work, plant trees, landscaping work, move dirt, stones etc.
2. 30 ac workable, 80 ac total
3. 10-18K with loader
4. 1 hr, 3 ft of snow on 1000'x16' driveway

I'll probably need another, bigger tractor for plowing/planting/moving the 30 ac of fields, but I was wondering if I can get away with 30-32 HP for the
above landscaping/garden/snow removal work.

Well I will stick with what I said before and you should be find with 30hp. You could probably go smaller if you intend to get a larger tractor for the larger projects. Good luck on what you choose. just make sure you get a good dealer if you buy new.

/ Ontario Winters #7  
I'm most familiar with the John Deere and Kubota machines. Your price range is a real limiting factor. A B3030 with a cab sounds about right, but in Canada, it may be out of your price range (maybe not, the economy is really scary right now). A John Deere 2520 might do the job as well. A B2920 will fit within your price range, and would probably suit your needs.

/ Ontario Winters #8  
HELLOOOO Peter up Yonder !

Agree with everybody else. 30 to 33 HP would be fine. Make sure you get the R4 tires & extra weight (300 - 500 Lbs) & you'll be all set.

Don't have long now. You probably have snow already. Were scheduled to maybe get some in the next couple days & were way south of you.

GET THAT TRACTOR & start having FUN !! ;)

Vic

/ Ontario Winters #9  
HELLOOOO Peter up Yonder !

Agree with everybody else. 30 to 33 HP would be fine. Make sure you get the R4 tires & extra weight (300 - 500 Lbs) & you'll be all set.

Don't have long now. You probably have snow already. Were scheduled to maybe get some in the next couple days & were way south of you.

GET THAT TRACTOR & start having FUN !! ;)

Vic

Do NOT get R4 tires if you have a heavy clay based soil. They will load up quicker than gas companies up here raise prices, and will not clean off. We had a set when we got our 1523, and got rid of them soon enough, switched them out for turfs. Either R1 Ag tires or turfs.

Not trying to start a war here, just need to factor in all before buying.

We got snowed on last Wednesday. Thankfully it melted.

/ Ontario Winters #10  
I live in Northern Ontario, in the mountains, just off the NE shore of Lake Superior. We get a lot of snow here!

For the first few winters I used my 30HP Kubota B7800 with the FEL, a 6 foot back blade and rear chains. It worked well enough until last winter when it snowed what seemed non-stop and a foot at a time all winter. I had snow and 10 foot snowbanks on April 1.

I bought a used, just like new, Agrotrend 5 foot rear snowblower for $700 and spent 1/4 the time clearing my driveway and other areas. I reversed my front tires and added v-bar chains. That made all the difference in traction.

I hate getting the snow blowback in my face but driving in reverse isn't so bad...yet. A front snowblower and cab would be nice but for the $700 I spent I am very happy.